User panel stuff on forum
  70 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
LAN tournaments
2016-08-16, 17:23
2 posts

Nov 2009
Myself and the Tastyspleen.tv crew are tentatively committing to cover/stream/provide commentary for the QW-related festivities. Starting to put together staff and gear lists.
2016-08-17, 14:52
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Jehar wrote:
Myself and the Tastyspleen.tv crew are tentatively committing to cover/stream/provide commentary for the QW-related festivities. Starting to put together staff and gear lists.

And sdTV will co-produce! This will be an event to remember :-)
2016-08-27, 00:59
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
bump.

Any news on this? Need as much notice as possible... going to try and get a full squad from Australia.
2016-08-27, 02:17
280 posts

Jan 2015
dirtbox wrote:
bump.

Any news on this? Need as much notice as possible... going to try and get a full squad from Australia.

YES!!! Same from Brazil.

Let's do it.
dev
2016-08-27, 07:35
9 posts

Aug 2016
Me and raket(mostly raket) will try to organize a little warmup-pre-qhlan-lan at rakets place for some quakers coming from brazil/austraila if theres intrerest!
/Cheers
2016-08-27, 07:35
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
QHLAN 2017 is planned to be organized together with www.hazard.nu, who annually host Hazard LAN at Fredrika Bremergymnasiet (a school) in Haninge, southern Stockholm.

I've talked to Lornelin (admin of qhlan), and he's been in contact with Hazard admins.
They kind of agreed with that we could "go out with the date" for it. Like, it's gonna happen. But HOW still needs to be discussed.
Lorn even said that if the Hazard crew were to bail out on us, he'd still arrange qhlan on his own.

So the Hazard boss said he wanted us (qh) to join their lan, again, in week 9. He also said he's preeetty busy the coming weeks, so it'll take some time 'til details will be carved out. On the question "can we go out with info, so ppl can plan/book?" - he replied "I think we should do a LAN together, and you can say [officially] that we work together week 9 2017!"

Regarding dates: it's not the entire week9, it's happening some time during that week. It always was thur-sun previous lans, and if so, then it's 2 - 5 of March 2017.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2016-08-27, 07:47
9 posts

Aug 2016
Yayyy start planning!! =)
2016-09-03, 14:09
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Bump.
It might take weeks before any updates, so I just wanted to let you know this. Waiting for a meeting between QH and HZ to take place.

I should probably get Lorn in here to comment aswell.
2016-09-03, 16:14
280 posts

Jan 2015
bps wrote:
Bump.
It might take weeks before any updates, so I just wanted to let you know this. Waiting for a meeting between QH and HZ to take place.

I should probably get Lorn in here to comment aswell.

I need to book tickets ASAP.
dev
2016-09-26, 07:54
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Hey! Anyone heard anything from Lornelin or the admins of the lan he was going to organize next QHLAN with?
Chosen
2016-10-23, 23:14
29 posts

Aug 2009
Yo,
Is anyone from UK going there? or even thinking about it? Msg me or catch @ irc
The Bad Place Addicted.
2016-10-24, 01:39
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
A month with no update. I am guessing QHLAN 2017 may have gone they way of TGi2 :'(
2016-10-24, 21:36
47 posts

Mar 2006
wtf, i started writing a long post, had to do some other stuff and when i came back and finished writing and try to post it says i'm logged out and the post is gone.... the one time when i don't copy my post text to clipboard before posting... T_T

Okay, I really need to sleep now so here's a shorter version.

Certain
There will be a QHLAN from thursday 2:nd to sunday 5:th of March 2017.
It will be held in Stockholm, Sweden.
The dates and city is set in stone, so you can book vacation and flights etc.

Plan A (i would say at least 95% certain) is to have it as a part of Hazard LAN, like the last few times.
Plan B is to rent a venue and get together old QHLAN crew, i've talked to some who are up for it if need be.
Plan C (if I die or something) is Bps books Stockholm e-Sport Arena and people don't even need to bring computers. This would probably be like 50-80 euro per person though.

Plan A
Part of http://hazard.nu/ lan. They are really nice guys and happy to host us. We'll have our own area at the lan so all the quakers can sit together. We will run the qw tournaments and take care.
The venue has room for like 400 ppl lans, and they are usually just like 120 nowadays so plenty of room for us. It has several redundant fiber connections to the internet, and is generally nice to lan in. (which is why they've stayed there for 18 years running)
You can sleep at the venue for no extra charge (bring your own sleeping gear).
We might be able to provide air matresses and stuff for some people.

We might also be able to get a bunch of computers and monitors for people who can't bring their own.
At this point I don't know specs or if it will cost something.
I'll try to find out during their next lan 3:rd to 6:th november (next week).

Questions?
What do you guys need to/want to know? I'll try to check back in this thread a couple of times this week. Bps or zalon or someone can poke me if i'm too slow to respond.

I hope the dates are okay for a lot of you, would be awesome to see you all again! =)
Nn!
2016-10-24, 21:36
47 posts

Mar 2006
lol doublepost
2016-10-25, 11:05
280 posts

Jan 2015
Great stuff. I'll book ASAP.
dev
2016-10-25, 12:14
398 posts

Feb 2006
Argh, same thing happened to me just now Lorn only one minute after logging in. How quickly do you have to type before you get logged out?

Anyway, great news! I haven't been to QHLAN since QHLAN 5, so looking forward to this A few questions:

- What time is it advisable to arrive? Will any tournaments be played on the Thursday at all?
- What time is it advisable to leave? I was thinking Sunday evening/afternoon (depending on how quickly it will be to get to the airport), and I guess all tournaments should be finished by then?

If you could provide some more info about renting computers/monitors once you know that would be great. It would be nice not to have to play on my laptop for once...
2016-10-26, 00:44
82 posts

Jul 2009
Ask them what kind of machines we can book and for how much (esp monitor, what about 144hz?).
2016-10-26, 13:46
286 posts

Sep 2012
Thanks Lornelin for working on that !
Same questions as above, I'd rather rent something there than bring my own computer if possible
2016-10-26, 21:24
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
2016-10-29, 20:52
1 post

Oct 2016
We will be coming from US and will have a few layovers for 19-hours in air. Most likely we will not be bringing our machines for fear of damage and customs. So anywhere that provides computers or has them available to rent for a reasonable price is preferable for us.

Things we need to know:

Where - so we can book a hotel/AirBNB for the 4 of us to stay nearby (Jehar, RottenRose, Sanford & Myself). We won't be renting a car. We will most likely be staying in Sweden for a week, up to 10 days.

How much $$ will cost to attend - So we can budget. We still have not bought flights yet but this will take most of our money. So knowing how much we should bring for LAN entrance fee, food, alcohol, traveling around and stay is stuff we are planning for.
2016-10-30, 16:33
47 posts

Mar 2006
Regarding monitor/pc rental i've asked the school it guys about it again, but haven't gotten a response yet, i'll try calling them monday afternoon if they haven't written back. There might still be some of our old CRT monitors lying around that could do 144Hz+. I'll try to take a look in the storage area during the hazard lan next weekend.
2016-10-31, 07:28
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
klov3r wrote:
Where - so we can book a hotel/AirBNB for the 4 of us to stay nearby (Jehar, RottenRose, Sanford & Myself). We won't be renting a car. We will most likely be staying in Sweden for a week, up to 10 days.

For many years now, Hazard (as in us!) uses a school called Fredrika Bremergymnasiet, which is a bit south off Stockholm. Can't say for sure that this is the place this time tho! Lorn has the final call.

klov3r wrote:
How much $$ will cost to attend - So we can budget. We still have not bought flights yet but this will take most of our money. So knowing how much we should bring for LAN entrance fee, food, alcohol, traveling around and stay is stuff we are planning for.

Entrance fee is currently 250sek when payed in advance. When I say currently I mean that is what their coming LAN costs, which Lorn mentioned will be in the coming week. This is about what it use to cost. I never payed more than 300sek for any of my ~10 qhlans.

Some pricing info:
There use to be a kiosk inside the lan, where you can buy life sustaining fast food for a few dimes, like a small micro pizza for 10sek. A can of coke - 5sek. This is living the true LAN spirit, and is also the cheapest way to live around here.
If you go to some nearby restaurants, a lunch usually cost 80-90sek, but go for dinner at the same place would cost maybe 150. If you find a nearby grillbar/McDonald´s they'll charge like 69sek for a meal.
Beer at Systembolaget: 11sek for 50cl lager, at the cheapest. They have a great selection and proffessional personnel! Must be 20 years old to buy.
Beer at any restaurant: 50+ sek for a 40cl draft beer.

From Haninge, where this school is located, you can travel with commuter trains to Stockholm C by a plethora of ticket types, and a single trip costs normally 40sek. The trip takes 27 minutes according to sl.se.
Taxi to central would cost maybe 400sek.
2016-10-31, 16:59
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Muy simpático! Muy, muy, muy!
2016-11-01, 03:07
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
100 sek = $15
100 sek = $11
100 sek = 10eu
2016-11-01, 10:19
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Looks like Sassa is coming to town
2016-11-01, 10:20
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Sassa <3 <3 <3
2016-11-01, 17:35
245 posts

Jan 2006
Sassa <3<3<3
2016-11-09, 21:49
171 posts

Jan 2006
This is great! Perhaps put up a more dedicated webpage or something / more proper info?
.over.and.out.ten.four.roger.that.affirmative.
2016-11-10, 07:58
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
flintheart wrote:
This is great! Perhaps put up a more dedicated webpage or something / more proper info?

There is futile attempts at making a registration page, but as we are always outnumbered [never outgunned] we'll see WHEN this will go live. I'm trying, everyday.
2016-11-14, 22:04
47 posts

Mar 2006
Hey guys!
Long overdue update here.
I made a (very poor quality) video tour of the venue with my phone when i was there which you should be able to see here.
I was gonna edit it and put up on youtube but i realized it's probably better to show it to you as is than wait another couple of weeks.

I also sat down with the hazard chairman and discussed a lot of issues. Here's some quick points from it. (most of it just confirms what we already knew)
  • They're fully on board doing the cooperation with us. They were already planning to have a lan at the dates i wrote in my earlier post (2-5 march 2017) so it's not like it's a lot of extra work for them anyway.
  • The entrance fee will probably be 250 SEK (around 25 euro/usd) if prepaid and 300 SEK if paid at the door. If it changes it's more likely to go up than down, since we have more people coming than usual to split the same rent and other costs.
  • We will basically get as much room for the quakers as we need. We can get one of the smaller (~70 lan seats) rooms of our own, or we can have the larger area (up to almost 200 lan seats) if more quakers are coming.
  • The lan kiosk (open around the clock the whole lan) will have its usual selection of very simple microwave food, toast, soda and snacks/candy. The prices are pretty low, I usually spend 150 to 200 SEK (15 to 20 euro/usd) total over a 72 hour lan there, plus going out for burgers once.
    There's also a mall, restaurants and supermarkets at less than 10 minutes walking distance from the lan.
  • If you need to arrive before the lan starts we can arrange for you to put your stuff in a locked room at the lan from 15:00 on wednesday the 1st of march (afternoon before the lan starts) so you can go around stockholm and be tourists without lugging around all your stuff. (this is mostly for our foreign visitors who might not have a lot of flexibility in what flight they take here).
    The lan opens at 12:00 (noon) on thursday the 2nd, and closes at 12:00 (also noon) on sunday the 5th (network is taken down at 11:00, one hour before closing time).
  • Hazard has around 12 (maybe a few more) computers (older Core i3's) that could be made available for people who can't bring their own, it might be the same ones some of you used at the last 2 QHLANs...
  • Monitors (that can do more than 75Hz) might be harder though. We still have like 4 of our old CRT monitors in Hazards storage, those can do at least 144Hz, but they're CRTs.
    We could probably scramble a bunch of actual modern gaming monitors from people living in Stockholm if need be though. I have one 24" 1080p 144Hz that i could do without during the lan myself. If any of you reading this have an extra you could bring let me know!
  • There's a nice-ish spectating area that can sit up to 60-70 people. If more quakers than that come we'll be able to afford the extra rent for the nice (for reals) auditorium which comfortably sits a few hundred, has a big stage etc.

If there's anything else you need to know, i'll TRY to check back in this thread regularly, or bps can haunt me. =)
  70 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page