anyone got it? fun? replacing quake?

Blasphemy.
dev
2016-05-15, 16:20
459 posts

Mar 2008
nelag wrote:
anyone got it? fun? replacing quake?

I played it quite a lot during the open beta, and had a blast with it. There are plenty of characters that each play entirely different, so you're bound to find at least one that suits your style. I immediately fell in love with the playstyle of Tracer, for instance.

It is very similar to Team Fortress 2, and many of the concepts are shamelessly copied by Blizzard. I got some hours of TF2 myself, but I simply found Overwatch to be more fun.

I'm unsure how well it plays in a competitive setting, and it could never replace Quake. It's just way simpler gameplay wise, and some of the characters barely requires any form of classical FPS skills at all. From a competitive view, I think the most interesting about this game will be team composition, and general strategies to counter the opposing team.

To sum it up, Overwatch was just a really fun game to play, and something you can play way more casually than QuakeWorld and still be a decent asset to your team.
2016-05-15, 19:56
110 posts

Mar 2010
ah okey, i'm getting it then. fun to play is enough at this point with 0% good new shooters.

nice with a game that probably take 4.5 seconds to get a game going instead of 45 minutes waiting for a 2on2.
2016-05-16, 05:39
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
Yes, it's really fun!

But it becomes rather repetitive after a few hours - I think the maps are a bit to small and the rounds are a bit to short sometimes..

It takes some time getting used to how to not just get owned by certain heroes instantly - like the turret and sniper heroes for one can be a bit frustrating to play against at the start - but they have some obvious weaknesses that you'll notice after a while.

I also like Tracer the most - she's really weak on the hit point department - and not really a "glass cannon dps" either - but pretty fast compared to the others - you'll most likely be doing hit and runs for the best effect with her I think - really good if other team doesn't have a healer !!
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
2016-05-16, 11:15
188 posts

May 2007
I could also recommend Dirty Bomb. It's entirely free to play. Everything that can be bought is purely cosmetic. It's still in beta, though. So there are some bugs here and there.
2016-05-16, 11:53
110 posts

Mar 2010
nix wrote:
I could also recommend Dirty Bomb. It's entirely free to play. Everything that can be bought is purely cosmetic. It's still in beta, though. So there are some bugs here and there.

free = good

gonna try it!
2016-05-16, 13:56
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
I was lucky enough to get the closed beta so I have been playing for quite a while. It's a very good game for being a new-age game. They've done some nice work with it, as well as developed storys for the different characters which Blizzard is always good at. Like Rikoll said, you don't even have to be into FPS gaming at all. Just pick a Mercy (support+healer) or perhaps a Reinhardt with which you don't have to aim at all (more than looking in the correct direction...).

Luckily, there are a bunch of "skill heroes" as well that can actually be super hard to get good at. I've spent countless hours on Hanzo and I still don't think I'm good enough at playing him. Tracer is another hero that is easy to play but super duper hard to master. Unfortunately, too many kids play Tracer which sort of destroys the hero. When played correctly though, it's a super good and cool hero. My sensitivity is too slow to play a good Tracer but quakers in general have pretty fast sensitivities so it might be a good match for others.

On a quaker note, there's also Pharah of course who uses a rocket launcher.

Anyways, the game is really good, and I don't agree that it's repetitive. I've mostly played full 6 person groups though - I can imagine playing solo gets boring real quick. It's a team game and it's almost impossible to carry a team single handedly to victory. There's crazy amounts of team work involved if you play on a decent level.
2016-05-16, 15:30
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Since we're talking about games, i've been playing some MechWarrior Online lately. Its an incredibly complex game, very fun to play with. Driving giant armored robots, hey?
Like Overwatch, some roles in the field don't need to aim - just point at the right direction.
after the first weeks you might start getting bored, but then you join a team and everything's new again. highly recommended.

a "thinking man's shooter"

oh, and its free to play. some items are real money only, but 90% isnt
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2016-05-16, 19:07
110 posts

Mar 2010
i'm buying overwatch then! anyone got some clan gaming going on already? :E
2016-05-17, 08:16
35 posts

Feb 2011
I played the open beta too and some Brazilian clanmates were playing the closed beta.

I bought the game, as I had lots of fun playing the open beta. I'm kind of done with the predictability of QW, so I was really looking forward for a new game, as quake live is pretty dead after the update too.

Other interesting thing is that I played with my brazilian mates with 290ms and looked amazing and smooth. It didn't feel lagged at all. They did a 20min video a time ago explaining the netcode of the game, but I didn't imagine would be that smooth.

It's not a replacement for QW, totally a different game, but the strategical point of view is quite strong.

I think it's also much more fun when you play with premades, instead of just join a random match (while everybody tries to play alone). It's a very strong team game in the core, so if you don't get some team play on, you will definitely loose the game.

When I'm home I'll post my username, I don't remember now.
  11 posts on 1 page  1