User panel stuff on forum
  93 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page
LAN tournaments
2016-04-16, 04:54
16 posts

Feb 2016
I have had a few e-mails of confusion on this, so I will once more give a very clear picture of what will be allowed.

Players won't be launching nQuake. They will be launching ezquake, as it is the client. We, the administrators, will use nquake to install quake to the systems, but the player won't need to do this.

As stated before, the files must be officially part of the nQuake package and accessible through Ezquake. pk3 files will not be allowed. All hud files and such much be unpacked so that we can view them easily. Cfg, crosshairs, and hud files only. No models, no textures, no skins, fonts and etc will be allowed.
2016-04-17, 15:30
43 posts

Apr 2012
Lilie wrote:
I have had a few e-mails of confusion on this, so I will once more give a very clear picture of what will be allowed.

Players won't be launching nQuake. They will be launching ezquake, as it is the client. We, the administrators, will use nquake to install quake to the systems, but the player won't need to do this.

As stated before, the files must be officially part of the nQuake package and accessible through Ezquake. pk3 files will not be allowed. All hud files and such much be unpacked so that we can view them easily. Cfg, crosshairs, and hud files only. No models, no textures, no skins, fonts and etc will be allowed.

Thanks for clarifying this once and for all
2016-04-23, 15:08
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
It has come to my attention that ezquake 2.2 will be used at QuakeCon unless there is an official build of 3.0 released (very soon)

How can we make this happen? Perhaps it can just be an approved "QuakeCon" build of 3.0? Ideas?
2016-04-24, 04:56
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Yes, latest nQuake package will be preinstalled. Featuring latest ezQuake. Problem is dimman went for drinks and barbeque indefinately - so will he, or anyone else - be able to release something before QCON?

dimman wrote:
I'm taking a break from all this so I wish everypne GL and HF Will make sure to watch the streams when it's getting played, looking forward to it!

Great timing to disappear dimman I hope you get back soon!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2016-04-24, 05:58
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
dirtbox wrote:
It has come to my attention that ezquake 2.2 will be used at QuakeCon unless there is an official build of 3.0 released (very soon)

How can we make this happen? Perhaps it can just be an approved "QuakeCon" build of 3.0? Ideas?

dimman's busy with other projects for the forseeable future, he was working on qcon changes before he went. There seems to have been a suggestion of getting loads of new features in for 3.0 at end of month, that really won't be possible as it's just me working on it now. I'll try and catch up with the nquake devs and find out what the plan is.
2016-04-24, 10:11
344 posts

Nov 2006
Well what is the issue with ezQuake really? Having an arbitrary number to the client? There is a build/revision number and there seems to be a still working nightly build system here: http://uttergrottan.localghost.net/ezquake/dev/nightlybuilds/win32/

Just pick any from them once they it is "done" - whatever that means.

But if you require it to get it into the nQuake package, this is I would worry about the most. I have not seen Empezar around here for quite some time. So I have no idea if he has Qcon on his radar or if he is considering updating nQuake to to ezQuake 3 at all. While it aims to be somewhat compatible to the old 2.0 I think a lot has changed. Looking at how well Empezar has bundled ezQuake into nQuake I feel that there is more to configs etc than just replacing the client binary..
2016-04-24, 10:55
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
bps wrote:

Great timing to disappear dimman I hope you get back soon!

Is there ever a good time? I have a wedding to plan for this summer (and a lot to do before that). I suggested solutions that would require minimun effort (and problems for everyone involved including QCon), they chose to do it their way which requires a lot more work from our side to absolute no benefit at all. I don't have that amount of time to just waste, sorry but I've made that clear to QCon staff from the beginning. They could've taken the easy way, they didn't and I accept that but this is the unfortunate consequence of it. It's out of my hands really.
2016-04-24, 14:42
280 posts

Jan 2015
Considering Qcon's refusal to use any of the customization solutions (pk3 and launcher), our best shot to have at least ezq3 is to choose one of the 3.0 versions already available and name it the official latest.

Question: would Qcon install nQuake as it is today and also download and make available the latest 3.0 ezQuake for people to choose what to run? If they don't, how are we going to deal with people still using ezQuake 2.2 that didn't update their cfg yet or vice versa?
dev
2016-04-24, 16:22
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
dimman wrote:
Is there ever a good time? I have a wedding to plan for this summer (and a lot to do before that). I suggested solutions that would require minimun effort (and problems for everyone involved including QCon), they chose to do it their way which requires a lot more work from our side to absolute no benefit at all. I don't have that amount of time to just waste, sorry but I've made that clear to QCon staff from the beginning. They could've taken the easy way, they didn't and I accept that but this is the unfortunate consequence of it. It's out of my hands really.

Hey Dimman, maybe all that is required is the latest code to be built and version'd by you as official and they'd accept it. I think everyone is pretty happy with the latest nightly builds of 3.0. It is quite stable as far as i am concerned. It would be greatly appreciated
2016-04-24, 20:52
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
dirtbox wrote:
dimman wrote:

Hey Dimman, maybe all that is required is the latest code to be built and version'd by you as official and they'd accept it. I think everyone is pretty happy with the latest nightly builds of 3.0. It is quite stable as far as i am concerned. It would be greatly appreciated

That doesn't solve the problem really. There is a qcon branch (dimman/qcon) in the official repo with stricter checks for sounds, new qcon ruleset and also a new command to set LG color ingame without using external textures. I think this branch should be used really (rebase it on top of master to get those fixes in too).

In short the qcon branch should check everything important but I didn't spend more time verifying it (only did sounds) so that a f_modified would really check everything against hardcoded original checksums, that way allowing .pk3's wouldn't be a problem since the client binary itself would be readonly. There would be no code to load things that weren't checked thus not really possible to cheat unnoticed. They didn't go for this solution but went ahead with a solution to restrict files etc (dunno how the client handles not being able to write to folders etc it's supposed to be able to write to). I hope it goes well but I don't know.

The client is not able to switch most textures dynamically today which is what they want and need for their solution. I don't have time to add support for this (with new and untested code), and I'm not sure the most proper solution would fit qcon anyway due to their limitations. That's the reason we're in this situation: I don't have time to do their solution (and as I said it might be a waste of time from a project perspective), and the solution I had time for they didn't accept (which is fine just unfortunate).
2016-04-24, 21:15
172 posts

Sep 2013
dimman wrote:
They didn't go for this solution but went ahead with a solution to restrict files etc

Given that, would an ezquake 3 nightly be any less safe than ezquake 2.2?
2016-04-24, 23:34
280 posts

Jan 2015
dimman wrote:
dirtbox wrote:
dimman wrote:

That doesn't solve the problem really. There is a qcon branch (dimman/qcon) in the official repo with stricter checks for sounds, new qcon ruleset and also a new command to set LG color ingame without using external textures. I think this branch should be used really (rebase it on top of master to get those fixes in too).

In short the qcon branch should check everything important but I didn't spend more time verifying it (only did sounds) so that a f_modified would really check everything against hardcoded original checksums, that way allowing .pk3's wouldn't be a problem since the client binary itself would be readonly. There would be no code to load things that weren't checked thus not really possible to cheat unnoticed. They didn't go for this solution but went ahead with a solution to restrict files etc (dunno how the client handles not being able to write to folders etc it's supposed to be able to write to). I hope it goes well but I don't know.

The client is not able to switch most textures dynamically today which is what they want and need for their solution. I don't have time to add support for this (with new and untested code), and I'm not sure the most proper solution would fit qcon anyway due to their limitations. That's the reason we're in this situation: I don't have time to do their solution (and as I said it might be a waste of time from a project perspective), and the solution I had time for they didn't accept (which is fine just unfortunate).

(Un)fortunately, the problem we need to solve now is just about letting players use the newest ezQuake instead of the old 2.2. Customization is not an issue anymore because it won't be allowed anyway.

Btw, thanks for the LG color! Very nice to hear that.
dev
2016-04-25, 14:04
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
BogoJoker wrote:
dimman wrote:
They didn't go for this solution but went ahead with a solution to restrict files etc

Given that, would an ezquake 3 nightly be any less safe than ezquake 2.2?

Considering that 2.2 hasn't got any maintenance for years and is EOL, 3.0 is the way to go.

3.0 is stable and as good as ready for release, just some minor bugs to fix (most of which are also present in 2.2, although 2.2 has _a lot_ of more bugs than 3.0 in general).
2016-04-25, 14:06
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
andrestone wrote:
(Un)fortunately, the problem we need to solve now is just about letting players use the newest ezQuake instead of the old 2.2. Customization is not an issue anymore because it won't be allowed anyway.

Okay so that's a problem now too? That they would be using 3.0 is all I heard from the start...

It would be allowed if it was in the nQuake package I was told, is that changed too? Problem with that is still that the client can't change things dynamicall so even if texturesets etc are packed into nQuake there's no real way of choosing what to use from within the client.
2016-04-25, 15:29
280 posts

Jan 2015
dimman wrote:
andrestone wrote:

Okay so that's a problem now too? That they would be using 3.0 is all I heard from the start...

It would be allowed if it was in the nQuake package I was told, is that changed too? Problem with that is still that the client can't change things dynamicall so even if texturesets etc are packed into nQuake there's no real way of choosing what to use from within the client.

You're correct. So no need to bother 'cause nobody has time/knowledge to do what it takes to make the custom textures allowed. That's what I meant.

I think it would be enough if you just make a forum thread with the QCon branch release.
dev
2016-04-25, 18:58
280 posts

Jan 2015
Any hopes for new player.mdl ?
dev
2016-04-28, 01:58
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
What is the deadline set by QuakeCon for this? Isn't it the end of this month?
2016-04-28, 13:03
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
dirtbox wrote:
What is the deadline set by QuakeCon for this? Isn't it the end of this month?

From what Lilie told me they need things to be done some time before QCon starts, it's just dev that pushed for a deadline.
2016-04-29, 14:00
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Oh sweet. Thanks dimman
2016-05-17, 03:08
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Any progress on the qcon fork? I am happy to start testing any alpha/beta.
2016-05-17, 08:07
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
dirtbox wrote:
Any progress on the qcon fork? I am happy to start testing any alpha/beta.

This has been integrated into the standard build, so you should be able to grab the latest nightly, and do "/ruleset qcon" to get testing.
2016-05-17, 19:19
214 posts

Feb 2011
I know it was being discussed and sorry if I missed the answer, but is there any work being done on nQuake too? I understand the "official QuakeCon setup" will be a fresh nQuake install where the included ezQuake binary will be replaced with some newer ezQuake binary that is deemed official, and using ruleset qcon. And all we can do is bring a config + crosshair + hud. But I'd like to know if there any changes being made to nQuake so I can make sure everything I have works nicely together.

Thanks,
BD
2016-05-18, 02:41
280 posts

Jan 2015
BLooD_DoG wrote:
I know it was being discussed and sorry if I missed the answer, but is there any work being done on nQuake too? I understand the "official QuakeCon setup" will be a fresh nQuake install where the included ezQuake binary will be replaced with some newer ezQuake binary that is deemed official, and using ruleset qcon. And all we can do is bring a config + crosshair + hud. But I'd like to know if there any changes being made to nQuake so I can make sure everything I have works nicely together.

Thanks,
BD

There is an idea of mixing a Launcher / Customizer to the nQuake package, where players can change the files they want and save this changes in a template file, but it won't be used in QuakeCon.

We should keep testing the latest nightlies to report bugs and make the official QCon ezQuake release as good as possible.
dev
2016-05-30, 22:48
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
meag wrote:
This has been integrated into the standard build, so you should be able to grab the latest nightly, and do "/ruleset qcon" to get testing.

Thanks meag. I've been testing it and it is working well. Any chance we could get some kind of official release? QCon is saying we all have to go back to 2.2 unless this happens extremely soon
2016-05-31, 02:54
214 posts

Feb 2011
Yeah let's release, it would be a real shame to have to use a many-years-old client when 3.0 seems to work better for nearly everyone!?
2016-06-01, 02:00
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
BLooD_DoG wrote:
Yeah let's release, it would be a real shame to have to use a many-years-old client when 3.0 seems to work better for nearly everyone!?

Agreed. It is over 2 years now since I made the switch to 3.0...
2016-06-01, 02:58
280 posts

Jan 2015
meag on discord wrote:

Hello - yes, the plan is to create an official release of 3.0 this week. There will only be minor updates to 3.0 after that (real bugfixes, documentation updates) unless something is specifically required for Quakecon.
dev
2016-06-01, 23:16
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
3.0 will be released soon as announced on discord.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2016-06-02, 00:29
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
This is great news! Thanks meag
2016-06-05, 00:23
  93 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page