User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2015-11-24, 11:07
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for dm3 textures and only found two different sets at gfx.quakeworld.nu . Neither of these work very well for me, has anyone else done dm3 textures somewhere?

I am specifically looking for different textures for the pent area. Now, I use gl_textureless 1 which means I don't really use textures, but the pent area becomes extremely bright which makes it very hard for me to see my opponents out there. The rest of the map is fine, but the pent area really needs a rework for me...

Any ideas?
2015-11-24, 12:12
152 posts

Feb 2012
Andeh wrote:
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for dm3 textures and only found two different sets at gfx.quakeworld.nu . Neither of these work very well for me, has anyone else done dm3 textures somewhere?

I am specifically looking for different textures for the pent area. Now, I use gl_textureless 1 which means I don't really use textures, but the pent area becomes extremely bright which makes it very hard for me to see my opponents out there. The rest of the map is fine, but the pent area really needs a rework for me...

Any ideas?

Here's an idea: r_drawflat, r_floorcolor Since you use gl_textureless anyway.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2015-11-24, 22:15
202 posts

Dec 2006
It would be interesting to have cvars that adjust the way lightmaps work, to make the 'fullbright' areas of some maps more tolerable
2015-11-25, 14:41
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Drake wrote:
Andeh wrote:
Hey guys,

Any ideas?

Here's an idea: r_drawflat, r_floorcolor Since you use gl_textureless anyway.

This is not a good idea. The depth of the map and lighting etc are still the same on gl_textureless 1 as on 0. r_drawflat is not a viable option...

Does anyone know the specific image files that cover the pent area of dm3? Perhaps one could manually change them specifically...
2015-11-25, 14:56
26 posts

Apr 2012
TECH07_1

according to DM3.map from the original map sources
2015-11-26, 22:37
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
6_6_6 wrote:
TECH07_1

according to DM3.map from the original map sources

I used a different tech07_1, which did work for the walls. However it seems the biggest issue is the lack of shadows in the pent area, it makes it really hard to see stuff in the pent area.... hmm

http://i.imgur.com/X9TcBot.jpg
2015-11-26, 23:46
202 posts

Dec 2006
Idea:
Re-light maps with a higher dynamic range. 'HD lightmaps' could be stored as an external file (like .lit files) and be optionally loaded instead of the built-in lightmap. They could have denser samples and be stored as a floating point value to avoid the clipping problem illustrated at dm3 pent and other maps. There could also be cvars to adjust the gamma/brightness/contrast of the lightmaps, so the extra range could be better utilised.

Problems:
* This may not be feasible for all maps, as some 'modern' light utilities offered the option to strip light entities after the light pass to reduce the size of the entity lump
* Giving controls to adjust lightmap behavior could result in the lightening of full-black areas (eg: dm2 water stairs), which some may disagree with.
* Somebody clever has to actually make it
2015-11-28, 14:20
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Andeh wrote:

This is not a good idea. The depth of the map and lighting etc are still the same on gl_textureless 1 as on 0. r_drawflat is not a viable option...

Does anyone know the specific image files that cover the pent area of dm3? Perhaps one could manually change them specifically...

Had a go at making r_drawflat less washed out by adjusting r_drawflat color based on angle of wall/floor. Not great but helps make the edges visible.

http://i.imgur.com/570QiAV.jpg

Other idea was to allow the textures on each surface of the map to be set by modders, rather than just replacing one texture across the whole map.
2015-11-30, 14:49
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
meag wrote:

Had a go at making r_drawflat less washed out by adjusting r_drawflat color based on angle of wall/floor. Not great but helps make the edges visible.

I like this drawflat better. good work meag!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
  9 posts on 1 page  1