User panel stuff on forum
  35 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Off Topic
2015-11-23, 08:51
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Hey guys,
I have in recent months become more and more interested in revamping wiki.quakeworld.nu and making it more of a useful hub, with current and correct information, rather than the dusty spider web archives it is today.

Many games today, Starcraft, Dota2 and CS, are using their respective Wikis to update player info, games, tournament, and whatnot. It's THE place to go for information seekers, and they rely on this source to be updated and correct.

Our current wiki is basic and probably just a default installation. It lacks features.
What I want is enriching its editing options, simply by installing an extension called "MediaWiki".
With this extension installed and enabled, we can use rich editing to create compelling tables and other stuff, which could make the wiki a real asset. It could actually replace the need to create a new, ugly duelmania site each time a new season starts, for example. All tournament information could - and should - be held within our wiki!

Look at how it's done for other games:
Well detailed player profile: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/counterstrike/Friberg (CS)
Full coverage of a tournament, with group standings and brackets: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Frankfurt_Major/2015 (Dota2)

I've briefly spoken to dimman, who gave me "sysop" on the wiki. But this doesn't enable me to install the extension. So I'm looking at the list of admins of the wiki: http://blaps.se/qw/wikiadmins.jpg - anyone here that can help me enable this? I think it's not a big effort of enabling it, and after that I would be glad to help improve content and update articles. It feels like the perfect SFW thing for me to do, when I have 5 minutes over at work.

And for us following the forums: each and every post is about "what does you QW look like" or "what sens do you play with"... all this could be found within your up-to-date wiki profile. Look back on that "Friberg"-link example earlier. Notice the first table on the page? It's a "mouse details" table, with aaall info anyone would wanna know about Fribergs mouse settings. No more nosing around forums to search for this information.

Helpers? Followers? Ideas?

(Edited 2015-11-23, 11:06)
Join us on discord.quake.world
2015-11-23, 09:23
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I did take a look at it earlier and it requires file access to the web server. I'll see if I have access to the wiki page, although the server should really be upgraded and the same goes for the wiki itself, it's really old and it's uncertain if the mediawiki extension will work with our current version :/ So it's not just the push of s button otherwise it would already be done
2015-11-23, 10:04
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Oh hi dimman

So, who can:
* Access the server to upload files?
* Upgrade the server?
* Upgrade the wiki?

I hope this information can be useful:
Current MediaWiki version: 1.9.3 (2007-01-10) - Latest version: 1.25.3 (2015-10-16)
Current PHP: 5.3.3-7+squeeze14 (apache2handler)
Current MySQL: 5.0.51a-24+lenny4-log

Hosting Requirements for 1.25.x:
PHP version 5.3.3 or greater
MySQL version 5.0.2 or greater, or PostgreSQL 8.1 or greater, or SQLite

Looks like we should be able to upgrade?
Sorry if I underestimated the work it takes to fix this.
2015-11-23, 10:59
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Bps is awesome :-D

I would help with whatever I can, as you know :-)!
2015-11-23, 11:57
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Go bps! I think Zalon is one of the admins.
2015-11-23, 15:55
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
bps wrote:
Oh hi dimman

So, who can:
* Access the server to upload files?
* Upgrade the server?
* Upgrade the wiki?

I hope this information can be useful:
Current MediaWiki version: 1.9.3 (2007-01-10) - Latest version: 1.25.3 (2015-10-16)
Current PHP: 5.3.3-7+squeeze14 (apache2handler)
Current MySQL: 5.0.51a-24+lenny4-log

Hosting Requirements for 1.25.x:
PHP version 5.3.3 or greater
MySQL version 5.0.2 or greater, or PostgreSQL 8.1 or greater, or SQLite

Looks like we should be able to upgrade?
Sorry if I underestimated the work it takes to fix this.

I do have access I see now. I'll update the wiki first, but need to do backups etc first in case something goes south.
2015-11-23, 16:31
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
<3 dimman <3
This is gonna be awesome!
Will you notify here when/if it's done?
2015-11-23, 17:40
22 posts

Apr 2008
Great stuff bps!

i would love to see that working.
let me know if i can help somehow.
2015-11-24, 07:44
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks for the positive responses guys, maybe you see the potentials as clear as I do... and yes, when this is all set, we can all collaborate in there, creating a great wiki. I will start with templates.

F5... F5... F5
2015-11-27, 15:46
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Sneak peak...
http://i.imgur.com/Ny0mUI8l.jpg

Edit: Players/scores in the picture is fictional.

(Edited 2015-11-28, 07:25)
2015-11-27, 15:50
22 posts

Apr 2008
bps wrote:
Sneak peak...
http://imgur.com/Ny0mUI8

cool, looks like tourney.cc

ps: tks for the map in favor.
2015-11-27, 15:58
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:

What does this mean?
2015-11-27, 16:11
22 posts

Apr 2008
bps wrote:
Quote:

What does this mean?

bps 2
6swift 1

you gave me a map :-)
2015-11-27, 16:18
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
6swift wrote:
bps wrote:
Quote:

What does this mean?

bps 2
6swift 1

you gave me a map :-)

You're welcome
2015-11-28, 07:08
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
What's Sniket doing there? Haven't seen him since 99.
2015-11-28, 11:10
223 posts

Aug 2011
This is the most exciting thing to enter qw next to ezq 3.0!

Keep up the good work, can't wait for it!
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2015-12-01, 16:02
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Sneak peak #2
http://i.imgur.com/iMS69ql.jpg
2015-12-01, 18:25
22 posts

Apr 2008
bps wrote:
Sneak peak #2
http://i.imgur.com/iMS69ql.jpg

Cool!!

thats exactly what i need for the tourney i am thinking of running
2015-12-02, 13:00
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
bps <3 such a handsome and resourceful man!
2015-12-02, 13:30
164 posts

Apr 2007
Andeh wrote:
bps <3 such a handsome and resourceful man!

He is well Hung also!
2015-12-02, 14:44
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Soeta ni ar 8)))

Probably time to look around and see who might be interested in managing the wiki as Editors. Time to start the education on wiki editing. So who wanna? Andeh/locke?
(Everything Locktar touches turns into gold)

(Edited 2016-12-17, 07:26)
2015-12-02, 14:59
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
I have some time over for this
Chosen
2015-12-02, 17:23
22 posts

Apr 2008
bps wrote:
Soeta ni ar 8)))

Probably time to look around and see who might be interested in managing the wiki as Editors. Time to start the education on wiki editing. So who wanna? Andeh/locke?
(Everything Locktar touches turns into gold)

to run a tourney i would need to have this education? 8)
2015-12-03, 19:58
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Hooray: nice!
Swift: well you just need some know-how and knowledge in wiki editing.

But the project at large is depending on other pieces to build the puzzle. The old wiki will die, this new one will spawn on a new server, that appearantly take time to setup/configure. When that is running, all content from old wiki must be migrated somehow (I've never done such a thing before, so I can't estimate that) and probably partly adjusted to new, fresh templates that I've started the work on. Or maybe, as someone suggested, we don't migrate, but editorially copy paste articles as we seem fit. To build it fresh, and with the same tone and code. We'll see how things pan out. But the goal is to have ready-to-use templates for tournaments, which are quickly edited to launch a tourney in a jiffy!

I'll update this with news in the matter.
2015-12-04, 09:47
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Let me know if there's anything I can help with :3
2016-01-26, 20:29
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
How's the wiki revamp going?
2016-01-26, 20:54
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
erlend wrote:
How's the wiki revamp going?

It's with great agony I inform you that one guy handling the switch of the server, is gone totally missing. And without him this is not happening. We've tried emailing, facebooking, it's just dark. We'll see when/if Santa shows up eventually.
And as mentioned before; once the server part is resolved it's just the 'simple' editing part left for us to cut into. The fun part!
2016-04-05, 12:34
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I know this might not happen due to reasons mentioned above, but i was always curious to know how it would work to run a tournament using the wiki.

I like the idea that one would get automatic archiving and i love the way the Liquipedia is laid out, i've used it alot for SC2. However, a few thoughts with regards to implementing this in QuakeWorld and comparing it to what we have grown used to:

- Who would report the games? Would the players have to create a wiki account and learn wiki code or would the admins themselves have to report all games?
- What match data would be possible to append?
-- Screenshots?
-- Demos?
-- Parsed match log statistics?
- Would something like a division table be updated manually? (quite tedious to summarise map differences, frag differences etc?)
- Would it be possible to comment on the match reports?

Cheers
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2016-12-17, 19:06
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
- Who would report the games? Would the players have to create a wiki account and learn wiki code or would the admins themselves have to report all games?

The wiki will not have public registrations, but anyone can request an account personally by me or other trusted editors. This way we get around the spam problem which would become a huge time consumer to work against. Any editor would update scores in a tournament, primarily admins? This should be defined per tournament.

Ake Vader wrote:
- What match data would be possible to append?
-- Screenshots?
-- Demos?
-- Parsed match log statistics?

As of now, only maps and map scores.
It would be kinda easy to implement time/date of the game aswell, and if the date is in the future, a countdown will display time left.
We could probably link to demo files, externally.
Screenshots: I'm not very interested in having this, considering massive amounts of images on the server. It might change, I may change.

Ake Vader wrote:
- Would something like a division table be updated manually? (quite tedious to summarise map differences, frag differences etc?)
- Would it be possible to comment on the match reports?

No automatic updating. It's abit of work, but some (me) like that. Just a notepad and a calculator and anyone can edit, with no hacking skills. No possibilities for comments what I know.

---

Looking for active people wanting to help out
I would like to gather a group of persons interested in taking the new wiki to launch now that the base is kinda finished.
Now we need to import and adapt pages from wiki.qw.nu and build new ones. We need to fill out alot of stuff.
Like, brackets and group standings for all major leagues historically, as far as our combined memory/knowledge let us go.

Hooraytio: I remember you showed interest in the thread
Ake_Vader: Are you interested? Would love to have you onboard
Please give me a beep on discord if you want in.
2016-12-19, 14:10
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
bps wrote:
I would like to gather a group of persons interested in taking the new wiki to launch now that the base is kinda finished.
Now we need to import and adapt pages from wiki.qw.nu and build new ones. We need to fill out alot of stuff.
Like, brackets and group standings for all major leagues historically, as far as our combined memory/knowledge let us go.

After writing the Norwegian quake history I got kinda familiar with the wiki, so I can contribute if needed, but tight schedule nowadays, so only sporadically.
  35 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page