User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2015-11-02, 16:43
459 posts

Mar 2008
Hello,

I was a bit unsure which forum to put this thread in, since I'm unsure what's causing the problems.

I seem to have this weird issue with /cl_delay_packet xx causing some severe packet loss as well. The packet loss seems to grow the higher value I put.

I never had this problem before, and obviously have no clue what's causing it. My system specs have changed quite a lot since last I played in tournaments (using ezQuake 3.0 instead of 2.2, playing on Windows 10 instead of W7, and fiber connection instead of cable, and a whole new rig).

I've tested with direct connection to server and sb_findroutes 1 and /connectbr, with the same result; using cl_delay_packet give me unstable and high pl.

I also had another issue that I can't help but think is connected to this: If I try to use /setinfo prx, and connect directly to a server through a proxy, I seem to get very high ping! For example in yesterdays match, sd vs 3b, I tried to connect to the swedish server we were playing on (I think it was qw2.irc.ax) through qw.foppa.dk:30000 proxy to increase my ping to even out the ping advantage we had. I tried this since cl_delay_packet gave me horrible packet loss. But then I would get 90 ms! Even when I have 25 ms to qw.foppa.dk servers, and close to 13 ms on the qw2.irc.ax.

So far I've only tested my config on my own rig, and only with ezQuake 3.0 alpha (one of the latest nightlies). I'll do some more research tonight hopefully, but I just wanted this out in case someone else have had the same experience, and perhaps even an explanation. I'll update this thread if I find out something new.
2015-11-02, 16:50
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Funnily enough I had this problem when I was on a cable connection (ComHem), if I delayed packets I'd get a shitload of PL ^^ The problem disappeared when I got a 100/100mbit fibre connection though.

Hope you solve it <3
2015-11-02, 19:47
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Rikoll wrote:

Just to confirm, do you use cl_earlypackets 0 when this happens? I can reproduce it with cl_earlypackets 0 but not with 1.
2015-11-02, 20:09
459 posts

Mar 2008
dimman wrote:
Rikoll wrote:

Just to confirm, do you use cl_earlypackets 0 when this happens? I can reproduce it with cl_earlypackets 0 but not with 1.

I testet with cl_earlypackets 1 and 0, and I seemed to get about the same amount of PL both with and without. But I didn't test it much, since I was trying not to cause too much delay to the game at the time.
2015-11-02, 22:41
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Rikoll wrote:
dimman wrote:
Rikoll wrote:

I testet with cl_earlypackets 1 and 0, and I seemed to get about the same amount of PL both with and without. But I didn't test it much, since I was trying not to cause too much delay to the game at the time.

Yep yep okey, confirmed the issue and found the problem(s). We're working on a fix for it
2015-11-02, 23:42
459 posts

Mar 2008
dimman wrote:
Rikoll wrote:
dimman wrote:
Rikoll wrote:

Yep yep okey, confirmed the issue and found the problem(s). We're working on a fix for it

Alright, well done! I failed to reproduce it today for whatever reason
2015-11-04, 13:02
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Rikoll wrote:
dimman wrote:
Rikoll wrote:
dimman wrote:
Rikoll wrote:

Alright, well done! I failed to reproduce it today for whatever reason

It was most definitely a problem in the code, but not all values triggered the bug.

It's been fixed on latest master now. Wait for nightly build to create a new release and it should work much better then hopefully.
2015-11-11, 21:33
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Just a note on Win 10 that I'm sure you're aware of:

I tried Win 10 briefly, but found it was no easy way to turn off Windows searching for and auto-updating itself whenever it felt like it, and there was also some stuff about having to disable some Xbox system thing in Win 10 to avoid an FPS max limit or something. I'm sure there's a workaround for all this, but I thought why bother, Win 7 is fine for QW.

But if you find Win 10 working better than Win 7 for EzQuake for some reason, let me know.
  8 posts on 1 page  1