User panel stuff on forum
  15 posts on 1 page  1
North American QW
2015-09-13, 20:06
11 posts

Aug 2014
Hi guys,

I've been struggling recently with finding people to play with, ServeMe didn't help last few times in any time of the day. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or I spammed too much.

I'm looking for people in Canada/US (I'm in Vancouver, BC) to play with during day/evening time.

So if you want to practice feel free to ping "hoppa" on #qwrookie or skype code_almighty or imessage/email robotector@gmail.com.
2015-09-14, 03:04
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
robotector wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been struggling recently with finding people to play with, ServeMe didn't help last few times in any time of the day. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or I spammed too much.

I'm looking for people in Canada/US (I'm in Vancouver, BC) to play with during day/evening time.

So if you want to practice feel free to ping "hoppa" on #qwrookie or skype code_almighty or imessage/email robotector@gmail.com.

Think you might want to join these channels aswell: #qw.na and #div99 =)
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
2015-09-15, 05:17
69 posts

Aug 2014
A bunch of us play around 9 or 10 EST about every other day.
How do you ping to east coast and central servers (ex. nyc and chicago)?

Just spam ".qw looking for NA players!" in game instead of idling in irc channels :^]
2015-09-16, 00:48
11 posts

Aug 2014
BREADLORD420 wrote:
A bunch of us play around 9 or 10 EST about every other day.
How do you ping to east coast and central servers (ex. nyc and chicago)?

Just spam ".qw looking for NA players!" in game instead of idling in irc channels :^]

Thanks! It's ~90ms. I do spam all the time but my last tries didn't work out.
2016-02-22, 05:15
18 posts

Oct 2015
Hi there, sorry for the 5 month bump.

Anyone in the US (or close by) still playing? Been a while since I had a good game going. Currently, I've been playing Warsow to fill my need for Quake, but I can only enjoy that so much. IRC (#qw.na) has been inactive, and I pretty much stopped using IRC all together. Discord is not available for Linux (at this time), but regardless, I have no interest in Discord.

Anyway, if anyone's still playing, I'm available 9 - 11 PM eastern time. Duel, TDM... Don't mind a quick game even. And yes, I do check the server list to see if anyone's playing.

Later. :3
2016-02-22, 06:25
172 posts

Sep 2013
m68k wrote:
Anyone in the US (or close by) still playing?

There are only a handful of USA/Canada players left.

m68k wrote:
IRC (#qw.na) has been inactive, and I pretty much stopped using IRC all together.

While the channel appears idle, players do check the `.qw` spam and might hop into a server.

m68k wrote:
I'm available 9 - 11 PM eastern time. Duel, TDM... Don't mind a quick game even. And yes, I do check the server list to see if anyone's playing.

You may get lucky by logging into a server, doing a .qw broadcast, and alt tabbing out of the game to pass time until someone shows up. Some players don't join unless there actually is someone on the server, and you can take that first step. ezquake has a great feature where the task bar icon changes color to indicate something happened on the server, such as a player joining or saying a message. This makes it easy to get your client on a server, spam, and be notified (somewhat) if someone has joined.

Also, if you are willing to suffer higher pings, there are Brazilian players on at almost all hours of the day. They range across all skill levels, so even at high ping you may end up with a good opponent.
2016-02-24, 04:47
18 posts

Oct 2015
hey there Bogojoker,

I was hoping people would post as a roll-call or something, but feedback is welcome as well.

BogoJoker wrote:
There are only a handful of USA/Canada players left.

There were a couple to few times me or another player (when I had one) would use the .qw spam network, but no one would ever come. Though, could had just been bad luck. :/

BogoJoker wrote:
You may get lucky by logging into a server, doing a .qw broadcast, and alt tabbing out of the game to pass time until someone shows up. Some players don't join unless there actually is someone on the server, and you can take that first step.

Sadly, I've been there and done that. 30 minutes I sat on a server at a time, which I had this issue in Xonotic and Warsow as well. Heck, I was streaming, and this was pretty much the whole stream of me just waiting at servers. Quite boring really for the poor viewer that unfortunately selected my stream to watch. If things do pick up again, I'll start streaming again.

BogoJoker wrote:
ezquake has a great feature where the task bar icon changes color to indicate something happened on the server, such as a player joining or saying a message. This makes it easy to get your client on a server, spam, and be notified (somewhat) if someone has joined.

I've noticed, quite useful.

BogoJoker wrote:
Also, if you are willing to suffer higher pings, there are Brazilian players on at almost all hours of the day. They range across all skill levels, so even at high ping you may end up with a good opponent.

That is true, I do see them playing all the time. The only minor issue, is the fact they play all the time, and I only have so much time to myself, where I'm totally out of their league. Maps get filled with grenades, or no place to rest for a second before someone zooms past a corner, simply homing on to you... Gets kind of played out. They're just good players. But of course, not limited to Brazilian players. No hate please.

Note, I can be (or was) a decent player, but as I mentioned, due to lack of time, I'm only can regain little skill before I quickly get rusty again.

With that being said, I do have some good news. I did manage to play quite a few matches yesterday, and a couple of the players seemed new. So it was good to see people, along with new players.

Hopefully, my post isn't too whiny, or annoying. Regardless, thanks for replying.
2016-02-24, 05:47
172 posts

Sep 2013
m68k wrote:
Heck, I was streaming, and this was pretty much the whole stream of me just waiting at servers. Quite boring really for the poor viewer that unfortunately selected my stream to watch. If things do pick up again, I'll start streaming again.

What I do is not start the stream until I have an opponent. Or, if you are doing something while waiting (racing, playing music, tricks, etc).

m68k wrote:
With that being said, I do have some good news. I did manage to play quite a few matches yesterday, and a couple of the players seemed new. So it was good to see people, along with new players.

Nice.
2016-03-01, 05:28
18 posts

Oct 2015
Well, been having some nice games lately, even though I'm just too worn out and rusty. Funny how when I started asking, people started to come. XD I'm sure it's related to that QW 2on2 tournament at QuakeCon this year, hopefully this will bring more players back, even after the tournament.

BogoJoker wrote:
What I do is not start the stream until I have an opponent. Or, if you are doing something while waiting (racing, playing music, tricks, etc).

I try to stream on a schedule, since there's no way for me to communicate when my stream is up. Retro gaming is the main I stream, it use to be AFPS.

Speaking of streaming... Since I'm free this Friday (namely in terms of being able to talking alot), perhaps I can run a 5 to 10 person "King of the Hill" like event, and stream it. That is if you guys are interested. No prizes, just for fun. Anyway, if not, don't worry, I have plenty of material to stream, just a thought really.
2016-05-29, 07:21
4 posts

May 2016
oh well your just the person im looking for although
Im planing to go to Qcon for the first time and do the 2v2 tdm tournament. not planning on winning but still doing my best and get my name out there. im only 18 btw.
im also from vancouver we could make the perfect team

interested?
2016-05-30, 02:21
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
C@NIP wrote:
oh well your just the person im looking for although
Im planing to go to Qcon for the first time and do the 2v2 tdm tournament. not planning on winning but still doing my best and get my name out there. im only 18 btw.
im also from vancouver we could make the perfect team

interested?

Hope you guys team up! Qcon is a great place to grab that real place among the QW stars Go for it!
2016-05-30, 22:33
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
I've been trying now and then to help NA community - Getting some teambuilding started over there-
I think Leo, Klice, Diehuman and me are more than happy to have more join us - even if you don't exactly play with us because of ping =) Your all more than welcome to join d99, if only to have a gathering point.
Consider it perhaps starting your own community inside another community!

Especially after Qcon - if we are so lucky to have some new players, it will be important that there is a community that they can join, something more personal than this forum. Where they can meet and play more easily with fellow Americans and at same time getting more connected with the rest of QW.

Alternativly if Blooddog / Bogojoker were to roll up their sleeves and start something - hop on board with them ASAP =)
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
2016-05-31, 03:22
18 posts

Oct 2015
Hey there. :3

I do pop in once in a while, though I do rotate between games, namely QuakeWorld, OpenArena, Warsow and MFArena. While I'm not even close to top tier, I do play somewhat decent, and I do even get rusty much quicker than I do gain skill. So expect some 'fail' moments.

Just a tip, I only join server, where I can spectate. If there are no spectator slots available, I won't be able to connect. Not something I'm limited to do, but I prefer to connect as a spectator to see what's going on in the server. Heck, there was a few people playing on a server Sunday, but I couldn't connect as a spectator, so I just didn't bother playing.

Regardless, hope you see you in a match. :3
2016-05-31, 15:13
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
m68k wrote:
Hey there. :3

I do pop in once in a while, though I do rotate between games, namely QuakeWorld, OpenArena, Warsow and MFArena. While I'm not even close to top tier, I do play somewhat decent, and I do even get rusty much quicker than I do gain skill. So expect some 'fail' moments.

Just a tip, I only join server, where I can spectate. If there are no spectator slots available, I won't be able to connect. Not something I'm limited to do, but I prefer to connect as a spectator to see what's going on in the server. Heck, there was a few people playing on a server Sunday, but I couldn't connect as a spectator, so I just didn't bother playing.

Regardless, hope you see you in a match. :3

If you're on EzQuake 3.0 or any of the latest nightlys, you can use the "/qtv <serveraddress>" (or is it /qtvplay?) command to connect to the QTV which isn't limited to 4 spectator slots.
2016-06-01, 01:12
18 posts

Oct 2015
Andeh wrote:
If you're on EzQuake 3.0 or any of the latest nightlys, you can use the "/qtv <serveraddress>" (or is it /qtvplay?) command to connect to the QTV which isn't limited to 4 spectator slots.

Yeah, forgot about that command. "qtvplay" does work, however, when testing it on a server, going to the next map caused the console to not pull back up, as if the map was still loading. I still heard the in-game sounds, and was able to read the player's chat messages.

Note, I'm using a self compiled EZQ3 alpha, compiled earlier this year, guess I should update. :3

Thank for the tip.
  15 posts on 1 page  1