User panel stuff on forum
  37 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2015-07-30, 10:23
9 posts

Jul 2015
Hi

Been a while since I've visited this place glad to see it's still up.

I was wondering if any of you had tried out the new game "Reflex" on Steam. It claims to have Quake-like physics and gameplay which of course intrigues me.
2015-07-30, 12:37
176 posts

Mar 2012
sane went from qw to reflex and is quite sucessfull!
2015-07-30, 13:30
9 posts

Jul 2015
I'm sure anyone moving from QW to a new similar FPS will be successful because of the amount of skill QW requires.
2015-07-30, 13:42
344 posts

Nov 2006
As a QW player I find every other FPS completely unplayable :/

I tried QuakeLive once. How I regret these 10 minutes spent..
2015-07-30, 14:00
9 posts

Jul 2015
Tuna wrote:
As a QW player I find every other FPS completely unplayable :/

I tried QuakeLive once. How I regret these 10 minutes spent..

Yeah same for me as far as Quake-style games go. Has to be completely different á la counter-strike to not feel just completely wrong. This is why I'm asking if anyone has given this a go, I'm interested in hearing how it feels...
2015-07-30, 16:20
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
I've played a bit of Reflex, and it's nowhere near QuakeWorld. It's another copy of CPMA. The ONLY thing Reflex has that makes it better than CPMA is that it's a new steam game with potential to get more players, but essentially it's just a re-make.

It has absolutely nothing to do with QW though, no physics, no weapons, nothing is similar to QW except for the fact that in the past, CPMA adopted "air-control" from QW which also Reflex has adopted from CPMA. A part from that though, nothing is like QW.

Yours,
2015-07-30, 16:36
9 posts

Jul 2015
Ah that sucks. Well I bought it anyway so I'm going to give it a whirl
2015-07-30, 17:22
280 posts

Jan 2015
Reflex is time, money and energy spent in a copy of CPMA.
dev
2015-07-30, 22:21
164 posts

Apr 2007
Andeh wrote:
I've played a bit of Reflex, and it's nowhere near QuakeWorld. It's another copy of CPMA. The ONLY thing Reflex has that makes it better than CPMA is that it's a new steam game with potential to get more players, but essentially it's just a re-make.

It has absolutely nothing to do with QW though, no physics, no weapons, nothing is similar to QW except for the fact that in the past, CPMA adopted "air-control" from QW which also Reflex has adopted from CPMA. A part from that though, nothing is like QW.

Yours,

Agreed, ive played it also. its cpma in another box.
2015-07-30, 23:16
News Writer
183 posts

May 2013
A lot of my mates keep saying to me "you should play Reflex, its really like Quakeworld." To which I ask why would I play something LIKE Quakeworld when I could be ACTUALLY playing Quakeworld? I'm sure it's an ok game but when I pick up a new game I want it to be...well... new! lol
2015-07-31, 08:52
9 posts

Jul 2015
RaggA wrote:
A lot of my mates keep saying to me "you should play Reflex, its really like Quakeworld." To which I ask why would I play something LIKE Quakeworld when I could be ACTUALLY playing Quakeworld? I'm sure it's an ok game but when I pick up a new game I want it to be...well... new! lol

The main reason at least for me would be the existence of an actual FFA server I'm a pub player in all games these days. no time for anything organized :/
2015-07-31, 14:44
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Haven't tried it yet as i think i'd go mad from all the clunky metal sounds in the game. :F Also the CPMA:ish all-over-the-place kinda gameplay doesn't appeal to me anymore even if i played CPM(A) quite a lot back in the day.

It will be interesting to see how the game will fare though and what features they will add in the end, not only stuff that affects the gameplay but also stuff on the "infrastructure" side of things.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2015-07-31, 15:41
9 posts

Jul 2015
It seems to have some interesting stuff "out of the box" like the in-game map editor and replay editor. I tried it out today and yeah the physics are lacking but they're still the closest to the Real Deal™ that I've come across. Got thoroughly owned of course, I didn't realize how shit my aim had become
2015-08-01, 12:30
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
It's still a modern game with a modern engine, some cool features and the dev team is constantly talking to the players in order to perfect the game. It's not impossible that it could attract old q3 players or CPMA players and make for a pretty solid player base. With that said though, the only reason a QW-player would play the game would be because of the amount of players playing the game, not the game itself.
2015-08-03, 15:20
142 posts

Jul 2013
Reflex is the FUTURE, and we as the people of QuakeWorld ARE the future. Join the cult
2015-08-03, 15:23
223 posts

Aug 2011
ag|sane wrote:
Reflex is the FUTURE, and we as the people of QuakeWorld ARE the future. Join the cult

Heresy!
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2015-08-03, 23:30
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
I tend to disagree. I was an early tester and really tried to make some great qw style suggestions and they were 100% ignored. In the end i gave up and never looked at it again. One of the main coders, electro who made pro-x ca, i knew from qw lans in Melbourne... Has done a great job on the engine but the game play and physics is 100% cpma and that is its downfall
2015-08-04, 15:36
280 posts

Jan 2015
ag|sane wrote:

/kickban ag|sane
dev
2015-08-04, 20:15
9 posts

Jul 2015
Well despite all the faults the game has I just played my first FFA session and had a blast
2015-08-04, 23:07
69 posts

Aug 2014
ag|sane wrote:

So if I keep playing QW and ignoring Reflex am I being FUTURISTIC enough? Because that's what I'm going to do.

There's basically no chance of Reflex ever becoming more than CPMA with a good map editor. They have one 'game designer' who closes forum threads when his bad ideas get exposed. The developers all seem to be afraid of trying new things, except when it comes to well established concepts like item timing and global sounds. The entire community believes the developers can do no wrong, and that the game will become successful if they all convince their friends to buy copies (like a door-to-door knife selling pyramid scheme). The community on their forum is still grappling with ideas like 'promoting arena FPS' and 'being inclusive to new players' which they've utterly failed at. It would take a lot to get the game up to par with QW or CPMA, without even considering how small an achievement that is. At some point they will probably run out of money and scurry off into the night before making a new Kickstarter.

Meanwhile in QW people are still playing and getting better, making new maps, running tournaments and so on. All without asking for money or faith, because we know this game is actually good.
2015-08-05, 00:01
142 posts

Jul 2013
Quote:
Meanwhile in QW people are still playing and getting better, making new maps, running tournaments and so on. All without asking for money or faith, because we know this game is actually good.

taking you guys pretty long to get good
2015-08-05, 02:49
69 posts

Aug 2014
ag|sane wrote:
Quote:

taking you guys pretty long to get good

yeah i should watch some more kovaak tutorial videos like How To Set Up Your Gaming Chair For OPtimal Gameing vol.1
2015-08-06, 05:20
28 posts

Jul 2013
A cpm clone with a poor artistic direction , maybe "released" in 2 years ? with no more than 20 players on servers. It's already dead...
2015-08-06, 09:11
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
NPH wrote:
A cpm clone with a poor artistic direction , maybe "released" in 2 years ? with no more than 20 players on servers. It's already dead...

agreed.
good support on team games or /kill
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-08-06, 12:35
176 posts

Mar 2012
btw whos kovaak? never heard
2015-08-06, 15:24
9 posts

Jul 2015
Murican player, pretty old school. He was in AG with def back in the day.
2015-08-06, 19:46
176 posts

Mar 2012
still doesnt ring a bell sorry
2015-08-06, 20:24
214 posts

Feb 2011
Adrenalin wrote:
still doesnt ring a bell sorry

KovaaK teaches Quakeworld duels on Youtube, will come in handy when you start playing again
2015-08-06, 21:48
142 posts

Jul 2013
Visit Ask.com and download the exclusive, fast, and reliable TOOLBAR.
Also visit #pristine and msg sane to learn how to get raped in either game reflex or quackworld
2015-08-07, 01:52
280 posts

Jan 2015
BREADLORD420 wrote:
ag|sane wrote:

So if I keep playing QW and ignoring Reflex am I being FUTURISTIC enough? Because that's what I'm going to do.

There's basically no chance of Reflex ever becoming more than CPMA with a good map editor. They have one 'game designer' who closes forum threads when his bad ideas get exposed. The developers all seem to be afraid of trying new things, except when it comes to well established concepts like item timing and global sounds. The entire community believes the developers can do no wrong, and that the game will become successful if they all convince their friends to buy copies (like a door-to-door knife selling pyramid scheme). The community on their forum is still grappling with ideas like 'promoting arena FPS' and 'being inclusive to new players' which they've utterly failed at. It would take a lot to get the game up to par with QW or CPMA, without even considering how small an achievement that is. At some point they will probably run out of money and scurry off into the night before making a new Kickstarter.

So true.
dev
  37 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page