User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2015-05-04, 15:31
142 posts

Jul 2013
Just wanted to post the recent updates of the North American Sanetopia Reflex Edition!
It started May 3rd and will be finishing Sunday May 10th, there are some quakeworld players currently in the tournament so I thought you guys would enjoy looking over the brackets, the VOD's, and also might want to tune into the stream with live casting on Sunday May 10th! 4pm pst / 7pm est.
Also the support from PHGP.tv, they actually gave out 6 FREE copies of Reflex, and will be doing it again on Sunday May 10th starting 4pm pst, all you have to do is tune into their live STREAM and you will have a chance to win the game !!

Brackets: HERE

ESR Post: HERE

PHGP Coverage + VOD's + Winners of reflex copies!: HERE

Stream link + casting starting Sunday May 10th: HERE

Thank you !! sane
2015-05-04, 16:08
280 posts

Jan 2015
Are you kidding? Some admin please either delete this unfortunate topic or at least move it to "off-topic".

reflex is the anti-quakeworld.

Shame on you sane. You should try quakeworld harder and improve your low skill instead of moving to a game that requires less brains just to get some wins.

We forgive you if you come back, even after your no-shows on SS draft.
dev
2015-05-04, 19:43
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Good iniciative Sane, shame it wasn't QW

42 players signed up, i see no bright future on Reflex, even though it looks cool. Even Thunderome on a 19 yr old game like QW has more signups.
Enjoy it while it lasts.
I prefer to bet on the oldie.

PS. if you persuade half those players into qw, that would be worthwhile

Edit: unfortunately the golden age of what is now known as ArenaFPS is gone. too many alternatives for too few players.our responsability is to keep the scene alive and kicking. Old players may come back occasionally, and new curious players will occasionally join. its not so bad. we have our leagues some more competition wouldnt hurt
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-05-04, 21:34
142 posts

Jul 2013
mushi wrote:

42 players signed up, i see no bright future on Reflex, even though it looks cool. Even Thunderome on a 19 yr old game like QW has more signups.
Enjoy it while it lasts.
I prefer to bet on the oldie.

Edit: unfortunately the golden age of what is now known as ArenaFPS is gone. too many alternatives for too few players.our responsability is to keep the scene alive and kicking. Old players may come back occasionally, and new curious players will occasionally join. its not so bad. we have our leagues some more competition wouldnt hurt

I wish I could try it with Quakeworld, but this was just NA players, in usa we would be lucky if we got 4 to sign up. It is also only in pre-alpha so hopefully more tournaments come along and I actually do see an upside, hopefully everything works out. With europe combined we could of had at least 80+
2015-05-05, 05:54
172 posts

Sep 2013
mushi wrote:

Quite a few of the players I saw are/were qw players. What would you even say to persuade them to play qw that they don't already know?

mushi wrote:
Enjoy it while it lasts.

As sane mentioned, this was NA only. As a NA qw player, 42 players sounds huge to me!

Since you brought it up, I'm not sure Thunderdome is the best example. In the top bracket, a player made it all the way to the semi-finals without playing a match (3 rounds of walk-overs), and the tournament still has a few weeks to go. It had a respectable number of sign-ups, but that means nothing if players don't show up.

--

Having watched the stream Sunday, it was pretty cool. There was very good commentary, skilled players, and some high quality matches. I look forward to watching the finals, and rooting for the players with QW ties!
2015-05-05, 07:02
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
BogoJoker wrote:
Since you brought it up, I'm not sure Thunderdome is the best example. In the top bracket, a player made it all the way to the semi-finals without playing a match (3 rounds of walk-overs), and the tournament still has a few weeks to go. It had a respectable number of sign-ups, but that means nothing if players don't show up.

Yeh it's a joke, that same player is now in the Winner's bracket final without playing a match. There is also the Regular High Division: 3 matches played, 8 walkovers, and the two guys in the winner's bracket final both haven't even played a match yet. Pathetic.
2015-05-05, 10:39
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
I wasn't aware it was NA only, and yes i recognize some players from qw. As i said, good initiative!

TDome could be a better example if it had a more relaxed schedule. most rounds have 3/5 day limit, which is ridiculous. Admins made the schedules strict, so WO's came. Its natural. In past editions there was more flexibility.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-05-05, 13:24
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
mushi wrote:
I wasn't aware it was NA only, and yes i recognize some players from qw. As i said, good initiative!

TDome could be a better example if it had a more relaxed schedule. most rounds have 3/5 day limit, which is ridiculous. Admins made the schedules strict, so WO's came. Its natural. In past editions there was more flexibility.

Come on man, it's not unreasonable or ridiculous at all to find forty minutes to an hour within a 4 day period just to play some games. It's a symptom of the health of the competitive community in qw, not the tournament format. Most of those wo's have been awarded in situations where people haven't even bothered to get in touch with admins or their opponents, and have been impossible to get hold of. Just look at Spawnfraggin' 4 if you want to see an example of what happens with a more relaxed schedule; everyone just forgets that it exists after a couple of weeks.
  8 posts on 1 page  1