User panel stuff on forum
  43 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Other Tournaments
2015-05-08, 18:45
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
I have a general feeling that for the kinds of tournaments we are doing in d99, it will not in the future be doable without the Americans involvement. I have failed to attract the attention of the better skilled clans in Europe, or they are having activity issues or loss of interest. As a result we are down to 2-4 clans that I would consider semi-active, and truly the only really active team in qw right now seems to be d99, and we are NOT as stable as it might seem.

This is how I view the scene right now when it comes to potential teams:

Americans with BD/Bogo/Sned could manage to get 1 team going - but there is a slight problem with getting matches in the right timezone.

020 could in theory have two teams going strong - but they are restricted to do so by idleness, as a result they struggle to field one at times.

Suddendeath has some of the problems 020 has, but I think they would be more active if they had worthy active opponents to play. They have shown no interesting in signing up for a Spawnfraggin'.

Fragomatic with Milton could if he wanted to be able to field a strong team that would most likely show up on tournaments, but they like sudden death needs good teams to play against. They have also not shown any interest in signing up for a Sunday Spawnfraggin'.

D99, seemingly very active, has the most members right now, but we are not enough to field two teams because of idleness - even with 18 full members only 9 of them i would consider active and engaged - even so we are usually only 4-5 on our scheduled prac day, a prac day - which no other clan has.

Fraggers United have shown they are able to field one team consistently in tournament, but they are not practicing 4on4, only playing some 2on2 on occasion. And I have a doubt they want to continue playing if 80% of their matches continues to consist of spawn raping the other team, or waiting for the other team to get 4.

Unload, usually show up on important matches like FU. They would be a very good team potentially, but they are not pracing at all.

Fatal Error could potentially be as active as D99, as they have engaged and active core members, but they would probably need the same stable of players as d99 to become active.

Chosen have gone into spectator mode? It seems Ake_vader is the only one playing for the time being.

Paras and earwax(mofo) are fairly dead and members are scattered to other teams or are not enough to field 4 players.

From the experience team only overflow is the one that is semi-active.

The better clan-less players around that are in fact playing 4on4 in mixes now-a days have shown little interest in wanting to join a team or start one and seems content in playing mixes now and then. They could perhaps be more inclined to join some of the better teams, which would improve activity.

So from this we have 1 active team(d99), 4 semi-active(fe,fu,unload,020) teams and 5 potential teams(americans, frag, sd,0200,d99x2).

Seeing as I can't force the other teams to be like d99; where we are welcoming to everyone, and want everyone to join in the fun. And we actually have a prac day a week. There is a major problem in the scene that will ultimately kill it, if teams continue cherry picking their members, but this is a topic for another thread.

With only 1 active team and 4 semi-active/unreliable teams, I need the Americans. Right now they are 1/5 of the entire scene, and probably bigger, as they seem to be more reliable in actually showing up on time than many of the others.

Catering to one American team in this context is a necessity in my view. So I'm sorry Europeans, I think we need to pingup if we want to play 4on4 tdm outside of EQL. Unless the semi-active and unactive teams suddenly rise from the grave and want to play in less prestigious tournaments we can't afford to alienate anyone. Or would you rather stop playing or just play mix?

So I'm reading these solutions:

1- Experienced players ping up.

2- EQL rules (which we all ready SHOULD be using btw. Sorry if I've not done it or enforced it. havn't been able to think or manage everything.), giving a max ping for EU's of 51.

3 - Ping difference should be no higher than around 40-50 (lets say 45 then) - Lets say for conversations sake average of a US team is 120, then EU team ping up to around 75.

4- EQL rules but ignoring the 51ms limit. Ping would then be the same as lowest American.

5 - Leave everything as it is.

6 - Vs american team pingup to around 90ms.

Right now we have two teams signed. This is all a useless discussion if we don't get more.
So first things first: Is an American team signing up if we use option 1,3, 4, or 6 and leave option 2 and 5 behind? Which one
Is 020 withdrawing from the tournament, or will another team [b]not sign up if we use any of these solutions and actually enforce them which ones?

I personally also believe 51ms is to low vs americans, we have "many", even Europeans, that are regularly playing with 60-100 ping. I think 90ms could be a steep hill to climb for some, thus I would be more in favor of a gradual increase to make people more accustomed to higher pings, if they ever will.. So somewhere around 75ms would be my vote.

Last note for Europeans - This is potentially ONE American team - that's at it's maximum 120 minutes of high ping you have to play with during the entire tournament - to have one more team in the tournament, that potentially could only be 4 teams. Would you rather play with 3 teams or 4 ? Is there a point in having a tournament if we are only 3 teams at all?

About the maps, i'm not to focused on custom maps or not, I'd like fun 4on4 maps - we have some new players that have not experienced the exmx maps yet. So it doesn't have to be a custom map specifically.
I understand why you might want to try a brand new map instead of bringing back an old one, but it will be much easier for me to teach the map to others if there exist pre-played games i can reference. So the cmt and exmx maps stand out more for me than bringing in a new custom map, really my own knowledge of the exmx maps tactics are limited as well.

We could limit it to one! We could also keep playing tb3, though, I would be unhappy! But If im the only unhappy player thats oki =) (I'm not gonna be that unhappy, but playing 3 maps constantly is boring for me...)
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
2015-05-10, 15:58
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Yeah you are correct about Chosen.
I am aiming at a comeback for both EQL (20) and Chosen after the summer.
Chosen
2015-05-11, 09:39
18 posts

Sep 2014
020 will not drop out, but atm, with summer coming, ppl getting kids a.s.o, we will only be able too field one team. The 0200-project i started was mainly because 020 went idle, and because i wanted a team without playing with all the pressure(coming back after 9 years too compete in EQL against top 3?? noway ), But back to the issue, in 0200 we got two of our most active living in a cabin in the woods, sharing their shitty connection with oher woodsmen, and raket is just playing with 0200 now when 020 is idle. He will be going back too 020 as soon as next EQL starts or something.
On other note, both 020/0200 will be/are looking for members, for 020 theres room for the PRO-players, and as for 0200 you just have to be a nice guy and not a complete idiot, you have too understand basic 4on4 teamplay.
I'm down with pinging up to maximun 80-90, and will do my best to get teammates on the ship, it will not be easy, but doable.

Feel like joining a clan? #020 is the channel, for team 020 you will have a Heddan screaming at you if you suck, so dont suck , for 0200, you will hear alot of "Oops" in the Teamspeak!
2015-05-12, 06:46
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
With the few clans left I am afraid you will have to play against pretty much every active clan Aikon. You cant form some low/noob clan and think you wont meet SD/FOM/other top clan.

(unless we somehow get 20 or more clans in EQL 20)
Chosen
2015-05-12, 17:41
18 posts

Sep 2014
That was not what i meant, excuse me for the misunderstanding. For this 4on4 020/0200 has a mixteam, consisting of me,raket,heddan,xorcist,zombie,lurq and z0det. So we dont have any problems playing ANY team.

What i didnt really got out there with my last comment was that the 0200 project is a little like div99, for the qw scene, for more clans, a.s.o
2015-05-12, 17:42
18 posts

Sep 2014
And what i meant by "competing" with top 3-noway"- comment was that 020 made it to the A-playoffs, that was not my intent when me and raket started the clan
2015-05-13, 06:12
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Ok! Fair enough.
Chosen
2015-05-15, 03:29
172 posts

Sep 2013
ocoini wrote:
Right now we have two teams signed. This is all a useless discussion if we don't get more.

The challonge page you linked to in the original post does not work for me, maybe for others as well. That may be limiting sign ups.

ocoini wrote:
So first things first: Is an American team signing up if we use option 1,3, 4, or 6 and leave option 2 and 5 behind? Which one?

American here. I would prefer 1, 3, or 4.

I think in the majority of cases Americans won't ask opponents to ping up. In the past, Americans have been able to play at the level of teams like Fraggers United (SunSpawn2 champions) without asking them to ping up. However we may not have the same line-up and we don't know what other teams will sign up. Will it be casual players (like SunSpawn2, div99, unload), or experienced teams (like EQL, Sudden Death).

I see (6) as too extreme. (2) and (5) are the status quo and I think we can do better. I see (4) benefiting the Americans the most, then (3), and (1) the least. (3) and (4) are straight forward to enforce, with (1) probably being the most difficult.

That said, (1) is my favorite. Rookies are not penalized. It allows the flexibility to produce cases where an entire team should ping up to 50-70, or just one player should ping up to 90.
2015-05-15, 22:50
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
I will return in the fall, hopefully sooner. Hoping to participate in EQL20. This has probably been discussed already, but is there really no interest for a Salvation like draft tournament? If everyone's only playing mix anyway, why not make a little mix-ish tournament? That way you could spread the high pingers, the div0s and div1s etc. on different teams and get some fun games.
2015-05-16, 14:56
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
BogoJoker wrote:
ocoini wrote:

The challonge page you linked to in the original post does not work for me, maybe for others as well. That may be limiting sign ups.

Signup is like the last tournaments, here on the forum or /msg an spawnfraggin admin on irc =)

erlend wrote:
I will return in the fall, hopefully sooner. Hoping to participate in EQL20. This has probably been discussed already, but is there really no interest for a Salvation like draft tournament? If everyone's only playing mix anyway, why not make a little mix-ish tournament? That way you could spread the high pingers, the div0s and div1s etc. on different teams and get some fun games.

yaay!
We allready have a draft going - It's really really delayed, but half the matches have been played. cara, bd, niw, heddan have been captains.
We have really good teams for people to join now, I think new and old players are very welcomed in all of these clans: 020, Unload, d99 and Fatal error . A mix tournament where someone just arranges fair teams could be a good thing to draw in a few of the ones that only play mixes. But would more sign up for a mix tournament than a draft?
2015-05-17, 08:41
21 posts

Dec 2014

(Edited 2015-07-27, 01:35)
2015-05-27, 13:51
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
Thanks!

So Spawnfraggin #5 is cancelled - We could always reopen it, but it requires clans to signup.
In the meantime, if your interested in 4on4 tdm - we will soon have a 4on4 pickup bot in #div99

Have a nice happy summer everyone!
2015-05-27, 18:13
176 posts

Mar 2012
ocooooooooini i can be ur long lost pal uuuuu can call me al!
  43 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page