User panel stuff on forum
  15 posts on 1 page  1
Other Tournaments
2015-03-25, 04:35
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
First of all lets get everything in order:
All hail The Mighty Omnipresent Hoony god, QuakePhil!
Hail!
Now sacrifice a qwlamb, so you can continue reading before he deletes you from his universe.

Division Ninety Nine was going to have an internal 1on1 tournament - but if you guys want to hop in, welcome =)

http://challonge.com/SunSpawn4 Otherwise known as The Hoony!

Cast of The Hoony; 2015 directors cut limited offer deluxe edition
Entire d99 crew of around twenty, some might not show, as they all got conscripted for now. Sorry guys, we are like a church.. You have to ask to be removed...
Also staring
Praxismo as el presidente - Viva la Revolution!
Cosmos^ featuring as as a wide open space with shiny and not so shiny dots in it.
LocKtar staring in the role of orc.
Paniagua playing the part of bread and water.
Staili as, WHAT THE F, why when i google "Staili" pictures do i see a baby in a pot?! This movie just went PG-50+!
Mushi as the Prince of Darkness
z0mbie90 highlighting the intricate persona of Tom Hanks
QuakeR PROPULSIONATING (look propulsion is a word, allright?!) as "My Left Toe!"

Short info: Tournament has started - YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP! til 12'april.
1on1 hoonymode tournament, everyone vs everyone once - match: first to 5 wins (maps). Signup here or msg a sunday spawnfraggin' admin. Tournament Starts 29- March, signup ends 12. April. Tournament ends at a random time on 26 April. Meet opponent on irc, #div99.

^Important info:^ During the first two weeks of tournament, league scores will be updated rarely, so make sure you get a confirmation from admin you report scores to. After player signups ends on 12. April, scores should be updated by admins as soon as we receive it

Long info:

This will be a Hoonymode tournament.
Hoonymode is an altered form of 1on1- It has altered spawn and score structure compared to normal 1on1. When one player dies, both players respawn. Killer gets a point. Read more here:
Hoonymode
Type /hoonymode in server to enable. (if server supports mode)

League structure, everyone plays everyone in one match each. A match is first to get 5 map wins.
Each map win, gives you a point in the league. So 4-5 loss, still gives you 4 points.

Gameplay: Example match:
Start the match by doing /cmd rnd x y (replace x y with player names) to decide who picks first map. (This is done in console in game).
Winner picks first map.
Then players pick maps in turns til a winner of the match is decided-
First one to 5 map wins - wins. (think tennis rules)
You CAN pick the same map repeatedly.
You are allowed to give up after the second map is played if you feel like ending the match early.
Winner reports matches - Remember complete scores!
You report matches either here or by msging one of the sundays spawnfraggin admins.

Map pool will include some Q3 CPM conversion maps, some qw-kenya maps, and the standard maps. Check http://challonge.com/SunSpawn4 for mappool.
Essence: Everyone should be able to play on their favorite map atleast twice - so you can suggest your favorite DEATHMATCH map here at forum. Map pool is finalized 12. April.

General QW etiquette apply. Be cool, everything can be worked out, life doesn't end..Being a douche, bye bye.. Cheating, bye bye.
If you don't know if you are cheating or not, you are most likely not - double check http://www.duelmania.net/?sid=3&mod=rules&act=view&opt= or ask someone if you are unsure. If you don't know if your a douche or not, you can ask about that as well.

Tournament starts this Sunday 29. march - Signups are open in two weeks after that however. So signup ends 12. April.'
Tournament ends: 26. April and the player with highest score wins.

You can play your opponent whenever you like after Sunday 29. March when site will be up in the evening: So you can see who to play. Idle in #div99 or #quakeworld on IRC to meet opponent.

(Yes, an active rookie level player can win the tournament vs. an Unactive high skilled player.)

You signup by posting here or msging one of the Sunday Spawnfraggin' Admins: klice, qirex, praxismo, z0mbie90 or ocoini on IRC.

***special note to admins:***
The first two weeks(before signups close), you need to keep the reported played games in a notepad as you register them on challonge site. Alternatively you can forward the reported games to me by pm, or we can designate someone else who we send all reported games to. (You can still register the games on Challonge, BUT YOU MUST KEEP A COPY!)
We have to do it like this because, as far as I know, there is noway to add players to a currently active tournament on challonge. Which we activate on 29'th of march.

So For the two first weeks after 29th, we need to (once or twice a week,depending on activity) reset the tournament and add the potential new signed up players. Then restart the tournament. And then re-register the all ready played games. Which we have conveniently saved in our notepads! (right?!)

If we screw this up, we screw the entire tournament up, so please save all reported games. Make sure you give a confirmation to the players that you received their report so they know their job is done. At the same time you receive it, copy/paste their report into a notepad or pm me what they type. Should go fairly quick and easy then =)
They get points for every map won, so make sure to get it right for BOTH players.

In QW we don't say GG, we say please get me a cup of tea! The please is optional.

(Edited 2015-03-29, 18:48)
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
2015-03-25, 06:52
88 posts

Oct 2006
I think it's supposed to be Hoonymode. I never knew it was implemented in QW.
Anyway, good luck and a lot of fun with the tournament!
2015-03-25, 07:40
164 posts

Apr 2007
Sounds fun, i will join! :>
2015-03-25, 09:05
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
LocKtar wrote:
Sounds fun, i will join! :>

Cute, lets rumble!

Jjonez wrote:
I think it's supposed to be Hoonymode. I never knew it was implemented in QW.
Anyway, good luck and a lot of fun with the tournament!

Sorry, I was thinking about tea... =)
2015-03-25, 11:03
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
hoonymode? i'm in

not all maps work well on hoonymode though. you can scratch dm4 because the spawns simply do not work and it's not fun.
I suggest before releasing official map pool to test every map. you can do a tournament "warm up" by inviting players to play selected maps simultaneously and then gather their thoughts.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-03-25, 11:31
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
mushi wrote:
hoonymode? i'm in

not all maps work well on hoonymode though. you can scratch dm4 because the spawns simply do not work and it's not fun.
I suggest before releasing official map pool to test every map. you can do a tournament "warm up" by inviting players to play selected maps simultaneously and then gather their thoughts.

Qirex and me actually had some fun on DM4, even with some busted spawns - so ye... not sure about this one. =) I'd be interested to see Locktar on Dm4 even with busted spawns in this mode. =) They arn't completely wrong I think. I'm thinking its OK with some busted spawns maps. I was going to do some map testing yes. But not sure how much time I will put into it, some might slip through. If people know of more maps than DM4 that are wonky in hoonymode, shout out !
2015-03-25, 11:50
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
here's a video Phil did (he was the one who "ported" hoonymode for qw).

it reviews hoonymode, a different way to duel, which focus on strategy. since its like "fraglimit 1" for some rounds (tennis rules) players have a chance of starting all over again.
this is interesting for both newbies and experienced players.

btw hoonymode was created by Hoony, a legendary QuakeWorlder . he is also the creator of q3 cpma and other stuff
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-03-25, 13:00
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Nice!

The only thing that's not complete about hoonymode as it is implemented atm in ktx, is some kind of timelimit with tiebreak on advantage.

The idea is simple, but I (or somebody else) needs to code it.

The problem is that if you're playing on a map like DM2, each hoonymode round can last a really long time. Its even possible on DM4, camping the MH room.

The solution is, have a timelimit for each round (say, 3 minutes, or maybe even 5)
At the end of the timelimit, check damage given. (ktx allready keeps track of this, but they may need to be reset between rounds, not sure)
Whoever has the greates damage given, wins that round by advantage.
(In the unlikely event that both players did equal amount of damage, extend timelimit another 3 mins)

You can even check (in T_Damage or something?) when the advantage changes, and print a little blurb like "player1 has the advantage!" so the players are aware
2015-03-25, 13:43
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Oh yeah - busted spawns. I noticed that on DM4 I'm not sure why its busted there.

But one simple solution I think would be to use a non-random ktx spawn model (maybe one that rotates through spawns?)
2015-03-25, 17:07
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
phil wrote:
Nice!

The only thing that's not complete about hoonymode as it is implemented atm in ktx, is some kind of timelimit with tiebreak on advantage.

The idea is simple, but I (or somebody else) needs to code it.

The problem is that if you're playing on a map like DM2, each hoonymode round can last a really long time. Its even possible on DM4, camping the MH room.

The solution is, have a timelimit for each round (say, 3 minutes, or maybe even 5)
At the end of the timelimit, check damage given. (ktx allready keeps track of this, but they may need to be reset between rounds, not sure)
Whoever has the greates damage given, wins that round by advantage.
(In the unlikely event that both players did equal amount of damage, extend timelimit another 3 mins)

You can even check (in T_Damage or something?) when the advantage changes, and print a little blurb like "player1 has the advantage!" so the players are aware

Thanks for all tips qwphil and mushi - Maybe we could have a little chat on Saturday or Sunday Phil if you have time then, or we bump into each other on IRC before Sunday - you could help work something out with me - if you have tested the mode on more maps. A list of OK maps would be very handy. If you have something like that. I need to test abit more to have anything to brainstorm with you on til then, and I don't really have time before Saturday.

My current thought process of map selection:
The aim of each match has to be as little work for the players as possible, and the matches should be able to be played without admins present tweaking settings. Many are totally new to QW, it has to be intuitive and easy with an absolute minimum of 'hassle'.

(spawns) Even so: The level for dropping a map because of spawns not working is VERY HIGH for me personally because:
For new players they could not even notice the map bug - as the most important feature of the hoonymode for new players I feel is the reset after death. Many will go the "wrong way" regardless of spawn advantage/disadvantage.

For the better players I feel this is something they can live with - as they are allready used to 1on1 default setting, the new "restart after death" Could it not be enough? - Question remains will the better players feel playing is boring if they play on a map where the spawns are busted? Would it really annoy them so much that they don't play?
Would it not be good enough to make a concession and say: "Yes, we know this mode isn't working 100% yet but it's still hella-fun!"
We could also perhaps supply a list of known slightly bugged maps, that we have included regardless: Because they are popular maps.
This way if two good players meet, they will have the option of avoiding that map. If one of them pick the map regardless, it will be totally up to chance which of them gets the better spawns anyways, so one of them should be expecting an uphill battle regardless, and it could be either of them. So it's a risk the one takes.

(dragging) As for matches dragging out - could you or someone experiment a bit with how complex it is to add a timelimit or lowering the score requirement ? If it is not something that is done automatically, or is a one or two command process that new players can clearly understand; then I think we have to abandon it for now. And consider map by map and weigh the pros of having the map in the pool vs the negatives. (I'll investigate settings on saturday if i get the time)

As we are so many new, I'm not to concerned about match time dragging out either to be honest. Even though the ability to decide "Ok, i need to run away now." is not a very high skill - the ability to survive running away isn't that easy. For new players it's more likely one of them will make some kind of a mistake.
If there is a good player vs a good player - the ability to catch the player that doesn't want to get caught is hard on any map. So yes, a timelimit setting would be nice if it's easy to use.
I'll test abit myself on saturday if no-one has done so yet =)

In the meantime if people can suggest maps here in this thread that would be helpful
I'll be back tomorrow i think with a short suggestion for pool.

Could editing the /spawn setting be an "across the board" quick fix for all maps ? (again, ill check more on saturday/sunday =)
2015-03-26, 15:11
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
It should definitely be a fun tournament, even just using the current hoony as is.

Then for a next iteration, I can do the code myself that is required... I'm just very busy lately !

edit: actually if start date is a month out, I might have time to "tighten up" the code so there's no dragging out of each round. Of course if I do that, you still need to have the server admins around to update their ktx
2015-03-27, 00:12
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
phil wrote:
It should definitely be a fun tournament, even just using the current hoony as is.

Then for a next iteration, I can do the code myself that is required... I'm just very busy lately !

edit: actually if start date is a month out, I might have time to "tighten up" the code so there's no dragging out of each round. Of course if I do that, you still need to have the server admins around to update their ktx

No, no need to rush anything Phil - Would be hard to get it on the servers yes. - We start this Sunday - just Signups don't stop =)
2015-03-27, 16:56
176 posts

Mar 2012
less chatter more splatter please
2015-03-29, 16:07
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
So, i'm finding no problems with DM4 now, spawns seemed to be switching correctly last time I tested it.
2015-03-29, 18:41
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
Tournament Started - Signup still open for two weeks!
  15 posts on 1 page  1