User panel stuff on forum
  22 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2014-12-02, 14:12
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
QuakeWorld in January 2014.
Europe is the only place where there's some activity, the remaining locations are dormant. In USA there are more servers than players. Servers on South America and Oceania are unstable, and there's zero servers in Africa and Asia. But there are old players there - we know because of Facebook groups.

QuakeWorld in 2014.
During 2014, Mushi and Dirtbox took the bull by its horns and created servers and proxies on key locations. We've subscribed 6 VPS, and we asked dozens of other games admins to setup a qwfwd proxy on their servers. We've learned the ways of quickly searching vps and test them. Hundreds of hours spent investigating. The reward is more options when connecting to a QuakeWorld server, and to setup servers where there were no servers before, and on locations like Japan, Australia and Western USA, enabling these 3 locations to play vs each other.

Then Claw came along, and contacted his latino friends on Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. There were no servers on these locations for more than a decade. But there are players, and with our efforts they arised. More hundreds of hours investigating the best deals and the best pings. But the reward is worth it - all these countries can now play together with low ping. The community is back, and is thriving with activity. Along the way, a South African server was created - unprecedent location for a QuakeWorld server.
The next step was natural: to unite the Americas. Provide means for South Americans and North Americans to play together with 100ms. More a couple dozens of hours work and we found and subscribed the best servers we could find in Central America.

So this is what we did until now. A total of 10 VPS under our control allow every continent to have at least one QuakeWorld server. But the plan is to continue. New submarine cables will be ready in 2015 and 2018. They will enable new possibilities in intercontinental matches. We will also look into Asia and Oceania with more attention. Connecting it with the Americas via Hawaii maybe. If there's activity in Africa, unite it with South America and Europe. Once Classic Fortress mod is completed, we will open ports on several locations, and call team fortress players from all over the world to play it. The plan is to make qw playable everywhere and increase activity.

Here's a comparison of the servers spawned in under one year (thanks mli):
http://upload.foppa.dk/files/qw_servers.gif

This rally can't keep this pace forever. We will slow down - but always keeping an eye on the best deals and opportunities. Adjusting as needed. These are the efforts of 3 guys. But you can help too. We feel this is the time of asking something back from the community. We are asking for donations that can help us pay these and future servers.
Right now we are paying the following locations:
http://upload.foppa.dk/files/servers.png

Which resulted in dozens new quake servers.
We'de like to ask you 700USD to buy all these locations for one year. And buy some new ones when needed, for testing purposes. The money will be applied 100% in Quake Servers. We also ensure that the money is well spent, we always look for the best deals possible. And we can give something else back. For the right amount, we can give the donators stuff like:
  • Private teamspeak /mumble channel
  • IRC eggdrop account
  • (...)

FAQ
Why are you doing this?
The QW scene is slowly fading. We want the existing players to have the best possible ping, and we want to revive the scene. So the QuakeWorld experience for new players and old players is the best they ever had.

Why should I donate?
Because you're part of this community and we want the same: to continue to play the best online game ever. We need your contribution to keep the servers alive. We are focused on keeping them on!

Some servers are very far away, i can't play there! Why should my money be spent there?
The plan is to revive local communities. And bring them together and give them the possibility of playing with other communities. In time, they will want to pay and control their own server. Chile community already paid 1 year of their server - they just needed someone to guide them. To answer the question, we want to play Quake in 2040, when are are all in some paradise island

I want to donate! how?
Click the button below. You don't have to have a paypal account, you can donate with a credit card. Tell your nickname into "personal message". Thank you

>>> BUTTON TO DONATE <<<

NO MORE DONATIONS NEEDED GOAL REACHED

(Edited 2014-12-12, 17:21)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-12-02, 14:16
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
reserved to post about donators

Mushi
Donated 10€

Dirtbox
Donated nl.besmella.com for 1 year (already excluded from math)
Invested xxUSD for testing purposes

Claw
Donated Dallas server for 1 year (already excluded from math)
Invested xxUSD for testing purposes

Also donated:
Jisse, Ake_Vader, mr. Musht*** (2x), sned, BlooD_Dog, Nitram, Andy, Dirtbox, nix, mr. Sol***, Xantom, sss, andeh, cara, szybkiLOPEZ, BogoJoker, Diehuman, Stayout

Thanks to all donators!

(Edited 2014-12-12, 17:20)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-12-02, 14:36
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Good stuff. As mentioned in the table I am going to 100% front the cost of the Dutch servers @ nl.besmella.com out of my own pocket. Up until now I've also been paying for Los Angeles and Miami from my pocket as well so any help we can get from the community would be great.
2014-12-02, 17:08
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Donated, hope it worked. :p

Was easy to donate - no paypal account required so you only need a credit card.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2014-12-03, 16:32
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Yes it worked. Thanks!

Im updating the list of donators on the second post
right now, almost 1/3 of the value is donated.

Btw: any1 is free to ask for details about where the money goes, who donated how much, etc. You can inquire me
2014-12-03, 20:53
212 posts

Apr 2006
I also donated. Keep up the great work. The results you guys have delivered upfront are outstanding and I think a donation is well deserved.
2014-12-08, 13:56
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
So, five days after the initial request, we already made half of the value we asked for.
here's some detaisl:
http://upload.foppa.dk/files/donation.png

Still half to go. you wanna contribute? click on donate button on the end of the first post.

Ty!
2014-12-08, 20:06
212 posts

Apr 2006
How about a news post about it? I'm not sure everyone reads the forums.
2014-12-09, 14:21
459 posts

Mar 2008
How much would a Oslo, Norway based server cost?
2014-12-09, 14:43
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Rikoll wrote:
How much would a Oslo, Norway based server cost?

i've searched, not easy to find. specifically in oslo i mean.
Try these (ALWAYS ask for the datacenter location)
http://www.adgruppen.no
http://www.oslotech.com/no1-linux-hosting-services/virtual-packages/
https://www.webhuset.no/tjenester/virtuell-server/
https://host1.no/client/cart.php?language=Norsk&gid=15
2014-12-09, 16:12
133 posts

Dec 2008
Donated.

I tried to make qwtf server on VPS server 2 times.
Each time it had severe lags.
2014-12-09, 17:18
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Donated $50
2014-12-09, 17:57
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Thank you everyone

With today's donations -> $472.51 USD
2014-12-09, 18:00
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
se-sss wrote:
Donated.

I tried to make qwtf server on VPS server 2 times.
Each time it had severe lags.

THANKS !

contact me maybe i can help...

what i can tell you is that some of our vpses have 128mb ram and 0.5Ghz processor. and its enough to run 2x ktx + qwfwd
2014-12-09, 22:09
223 posts

Aug 2011
Donated. Hope we reach the goal
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2014-12-09, 22:42
1100 posts

Jan 2006
How resistant is QW against other processes and network traffic on the same system? I have a cheap VPS in the US I could put something on but I like saturating it with other work. Would QW be ruined then or would be still be of use?
2014-12-10, 06:19
11 posts

Jul 2014
claw....
Me, cachorro[pato] and DrPain paid 181.41.197.201 (ON).
Others brazilian players were paying qw.quakeworld.com.br (OFF).
Talk with that guys.
2014-12-10, 09:59
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Spirit wrote:
How resistant is QW against other processes and network traffic on the same system? I have a cheap VPS in the US I could put something on but I like saturating it with other work. Would QW be ruined then or would be still be of use?

obviously it depends on the process. u can test: setup a server, connect to it using your client then connect again several times using the slim client, impulse 5; +fire; and then start the processes one at a time and check for lags

having said that, i guess you can set a qwfwd without hassle, if there's enough bandwidth for it.
2014-12-10, 12:01
29 posts

Aug 2009
+20$

GL !
The Bad Place Addicted.
2014-12-11, 16:41
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
We're almost there!

I've completed a transaction to claw so he can pay the servers he manages:
Dear xx Silva,

You've sent a payment for $475.00 USD to xx mar.

4,75USD fees. fuckin paypal

Thanks! we will run the servers for 1 more year! and will continue our search!
2014-12-12, 11:50
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
So i've sent money again, now to Dirtbox!

XXX Silva, you have sent €100.80 EUR to Marcus XXX.

Were like 50usd short still
2014-12-12, 17:17
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
CLOSED!

no more donations needed!

Ty for all donations!!!
  22 posts on 1 page  1