User panel stuff on forum
  125 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
General Discussion
2014-11-08, 04:01
123 posts

Mar 2006
ag|sane wrote:
As a conversation piece, please DO tell which NA leagues you have won lmao

NA QW Draft Season 2. I also had very good stats both draft seasons even when I was on a losing team. It's not like I've played a lot of QW leagues with ping lower than 250ms.

Pro tip just for you sane, if you didn't drop out of leagues so much you can win them!
2014-11-08, 11:12
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Well, the fact that you just said that QW and CPMA are essentially the same game just confirmed that you're the wrong person to compare the different games.

I also believe that Reflex is going to get more players than CPMA and QW, of course. It's on Steam, it's something "new", and people will try it out. But since when has QW players ever cared about being the 'biggest' game? CPMA used to be bigger than QW but people still stuck to QW. It's not about the player base but the game itself.

You mentioned a lot of advantages that Reflex has but not a single one of those advantages you mentioned has anything to do with the actual gameplay. So basically what you're saying is that it's a bad game and a bad clone, sold in a better enviroment (Steam). The fact that it's a CPMA clone kind of throws QW people off. QW players didn't switch to CPMA back in the days, why would they ever switch to Reflex which is just another CPMA?

Look, I'm not looking to shit on Reflex per se. I do hope it gets kind of big and that people unfamiliar with Quake will play it and that duel fps gaming gets a place in esports again. I just don't think any QW player will be interested in the game, since developers didn't feel like porting anything from QW but only from CPMA.

EDIT: And I agree with Dirtbox. I have the smoothest input in QuakeWorld but the Reflex one feels so unresponsive and the sensitivity is messed up. I had to get my ruler just to get the "m_speed" (wtf happened to 'sensitivity'?) right and even though I did find my beloved 20cm/360, it still felt so unresponsive and weird.
2014-11-08, 18:23
23 posts

Sep 2014
Andeh wrote:
Well, the fact that you just said that QW and CPMA are essentially the same game just confirmed that you're the wrong person to compare the different games.

I also believe that Reflex is going to get more players than CPMA and QW, of course. It's on Steam, it's something "new", and people will try it out. But since when has QW players ever cared about being the 'biggest' game? CPMA used to be bigger than QW but people still stuck to QW. It's not about the player base but the game itself.

You mentioned a lot of advantages that Reflex has but not a single one of those advantages you mentioned has anything to do with the actual gameplay. So basically what you're saying is that it's a bad game and a bad clone, sold in a better enviroment (Steam). The fact that it's a CPMA clone kind of throws QW people off. QW players didn't switch to CPMA back in the days, why would they ever switch to Reflex which is just another CPMA?

Look, I'm not looking to shit on Reflex per se. I do hope it gets kind of big and that people unfamiliar with Quake will play it and that duel fps gaming gets a place in esports again. I just don't think any QW player will be interested in the game, since developers didn't feel like porting anything from QW but only from CPMA.

EDIT: And I agree with Dirtbox. I have the smoothest input in QuakeWorld but the Reflex one feels so unresponsive and the sensitivity is messed up. I had to get my ruler just to get the "m_speed" (wtf happened to 'sensitivity'?) right and even though I did find my beloved 20cm/360, it still felt so unresponsive and weird.

It's still in alpha so that's why it's not really working well.

Yeah I think QWers will stick to QW unless they make it more QWish.
2014-11-08, 21:42
124 posts

Apr 2012
PoepieMoe wrote:

And unless they drop the dependency on DirectX 11, which pretty much limits the game to Windows 7 and 8+ users.
2014-11-09, 00:45
23 posts

Apr 2012
They prob wont, windows xp is very outdated and if im correct most steam users have w7 according to stats.

Everyone with a bit of sense could get w7 free tho

By the way i totally agree with andeh, i tried cpm before coming to qw and stuck with it, but whats wrong with playing 2 games? Alot of swedish q2 players {like purri mobius etc) play competetive ql but still play in the q2 leagues after all these years. Thats just my 2 cents i guess.
2014-11-09, 17:02
286 posts

Sep 2012
Andeh wrote:
blah "m_speed"

Haha that's from the latest changes they made to cnq3, a cpma client. Some cvars like the mouse and display were changed for no useful reason, just because they liked the name better
When I see those commands, I can't help but think they didn't put that much work into their engine and it's just a fork from the q3 source...
2014-11-09, 17:47
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Andeh wrote:

As far as I can tell, Reflex uses windows based input for the mouse.... no dinput and no raw input... that is why it is so clunky and delayed
2014-11-09, 19:58
23 posts

Sep 2014
cream wrote:
PoepieMoe wrote:

And unless they drop the dependency on DirectX 11, which pretty much limits the game to Windows 7 and 8+ users.

Ah no is it directX 11 only? fuck
2014-11-10, 00:00
6 posts

Jan 2013
First of all, let me just say that I fully support Reflex and what they're doing to try and recapture an arena shooter market because they're doing what needs to be done to make it possible. Essentially they're just reimplementing CPMA gameplay from the engine up and adding in all of the extra features that people want today to make it successful. At the moment it really seems like they're just setting up cookie cutter CPMA so they can get a fully functioning game engine working first and worry about the new gameplay changes later on, so I'm not really worried that it'll only be CPMA stuff. To really criticize the engine this early in the game is pretty stupid though considering what they're starting from, and I really have to applaud how smooth it actually feels (when its not stuttering like crazy) because it feels a lot better than what I'd experienced in CPM.

Even if it does end up being a CPM clone I can't see myself not playing it because all those extra goodies are so very attractive. Matchmaking, ladders, clans, stat tracking, cosmetics, mapmaking etc. are really whats going to win people over and get a critical mass going in the game. The thing is, this game won't even have a finished engine and defined gameplay for at least a year, and all of the extra stuff will probably take another year after that, so there's going to be a long time coming before we'll really see the benefits of the labor put into it. The short term benefits are that there's people being exposed to the genre and Reflex is forcing the other stagnant arena shooter projects to get off their asses (lol reborn).

Personally I'm not a huge fan of CPM in the first place, which is why I eventually ended up playing QW, but really the similarities between the games are close enough that I'm willing to concede some QW elements to get an arena shooter with a large playerbase (shoutouts to the QW pines in Reflex btw). I guess I can understand why you guys wouldn't want to play it because it isn't QW, but to not support the growth of the community (and thus genre in total) or rally for your own changes while the gameplay isn't set in stone would be a really big mistake. Those new players who aren't satisfied with the CPM-like gameplay can be redirected to try out QW and may even take a liking to it.

pg's point about the mechanics and systems being similar is spot on, but the gameplay in all of the titles he mentioned are worlds apart, and that's what makes the difference to most people playing the game at a competitive level.

So give it time and see how it develops, but don't shit on it because it's not QW cuz this game will still be around I'm sure.
2014-11-10, 13:54
176 posts

Mar 2012
"In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream."Michael Jackson
2014-11-19, 07:54
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
Well, for those of you playing reflex, I made a copy of dm4, it's pretty good, but not as good as the real thing - obviously. I enjoyed spending time in the editor, it's really quite slick, but once I'd finished the map and played a few I went back to playing QW. Reflex as it is right now is pretty unenjoyable in my opinion, I'll check it out from time to time as they release improvements and see how it goes.

Anyway here's the map and the post on their forums if you're interested.

map file

forum post
2014-11-19, 12:32
68 posts

Jul 2013
i played a couple of games on it the other night, plays really well so well done for that!

Like you say its not quite the real thing, and i agree about reflex not quite being ready yet (but nobody it is saying it's anything more than it really is so no complaints)
2014-11-19, 13:34
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
Yeh, I know it's very early days, but unless they increase splash radius and knockback effect on rockets and nades I can't see myself enjoying it much in the future: it's not really my playstyle to just be able to rush people constantly without spam as a real deterrent, this is one feature of cpm that I've always detested, to use a strong but honest word.
2014-11-26, 08:26
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
dirtbox wrote:
sae wrote:
had a very quick (10min) run around on it last night, surprised how crappy it ran on my pc (not the best pc but runs q3/cpm etc on full no problem).
does feel very much like cpm as expected but i think there is some hope there.
severe lack of GUI so all binding done in the console or in the game.cfg

I've got a Dual-Core @ 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 770 and it is completely unplayable for me. I was actually part of the testers team but I've completely removed myself now. Any feedback and suggestions I gave were completely ignored.

Besides, you can already play CPMA now...

Out of interest, did you tell them that you were leaving, and explain why? It may have been good for them to hear it.
2014-11-26, 20:59
164 posts

Apr 2007
praxismo wrote:
dirtbox wrote:
sae wrote:
had a very quick (10min) run around on it last night, surprised how crappy it ran on my pc (not the best pc but runs q3/cpm etc on full no problem).

I've got a Dual-Core @ 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 770 and it is completely unplayable for me. I was actually part of the testers team but I've completely removed myself now. Any feedback and suggestions I gave were completely ignored.

Out of interest, did you tell them that you were leaving, and explain why? It may have been good for them to hear it.

"Any feedback and suggestions I gave were completely ignored." i think he did?! :>
2014-11-27, 09:24
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
LocKtar wrote:
praxismo wrote:
dirtbox wrote:
sae wrote:

"Any feedback and suggestions I gave were completely ignored." i think he did?! :>

Thanks for your help, but this only says to us why he left, and does not answer my question.
2014-11-27, 10:07
164 posts

Apr 2007
praxismo wrote:
LocKtar wrote:
praxismo wrote:
dirtbox wrote:
sae wrote:

Thanks for your help, but this only says to us why he left, and does not answer my question.

I thought he tried to give them suggestions on how to improve, and his thought of the game and so on, but they were ignored, so he left them because of that.
My engrish is a little bit " so so" perhaps i understood it wrong
2014-11-27, 11:32
459 posts

Mar 2008
LocKtar wrote:

I thought he tried to give them suggestions on how to improve, and his thought of the game and so on, but they were ignored, so he left them because of that.

How are you compared to this guy: Petter Solberg ?

:-D

If the Reflex developers don't follow this thread, they already kinda messed up anyway.
2014-11-27, 20:35
12 posts

Dec 2006
I remade QW's Aerowalk in Reflex... haven't quite released the map yet, but it's looking awesome and playing pretty well. The gameplay is more QW-like since you get rockets by going in main areas of the map anyway (as opposed to Praxismo's DM4 remake, which suffers from a lack of rockets in SSG room).

As Praxismo said, the rocket explosion radius and knockback are nowhere near QW levels. Also, LG does a lot less DPS. So, weapons are nerfed comparatively, but I still find it fun.

Oh, also, here is DM3 remade in Reflex. I didn't spend nearly as much time with attention to detail of textures, but the geometry is all there. Once ammo is added in, I'll release it. Praxismo helped a ton with this one .
2014-11-27, 21:17
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
KovaaK wrote:
The gameplay is more QW-like since you get rockets by going in main areas of the map anyway (as opposed to Praxismo's DM4 remake, which suffers from a lack of rockets in SSG room).

Yeh I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about that, once ammo packs are released then of course ammo room will be more significant, but I'm pretty sure they'll never adopt qw's weapon pickup system, which imo is a shame because it offers mappers much more control over gameplay. If they stick with the newer system then I might have to remove rl from armour room entirely, otherwise the best tactics will probably start from the basis of camping the hell out of that room and spamming the entrance. Will have to see how it plays out.
2014-11-28, 00:08
164 posts

Apr 2007
Rikoll wrote:
LocKtar wrote:

How are you compared to this guy: Petter Solberg ?

:-D

If the Reflex developers don't follow this thread, they already kinda messed up anyway.

Haha, what a hero! He sure got a new fan now!
2014-11-28, 16:58
176 posts

Mar 2012
i was just wondering... but why would u play dm3 dm4 aero on reflex when u can play the original at qw??? i understand that more ppl are playing reflex and its more fun playing other ppl but i just opened reflex server browser that is online and checked how many ppl are playing reflex at 18:00pm atm and its just a hand full like max 10 ppl. Almost more ppl playing qw atm then reflex so i dont understand
2014-11-28, 17:17
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
Adrenalin wrote:
i was just wondering... but why would u play dm3 dm4 aero on reflex when u can play the original at qw???

I would never do that on anything even approaching a consistent basis. I find map building quite relaxing though, and some people are enjoying my remake.

Yeh reflex is pretty unplayable right now beyond 5 minutes of fragging here and there, so I'm not surprised at how low the playerbase is; most of the community seems to be spending most of their reflex time in the map editor really.
2014-11-28, 18:01
176 posts

Mar 2012
heh that sounds fun im gonna download reflex and start making maps ehe sounds fun ehe
anyways do what u like and enjoy i dont game anymore anyways but i was looking for a game i could spec and talk with players abit....
so i was considering reflex but there are not many ppl playing it like i said and im not really into map making so i guess il just do something else
2014-11-28, 18:14
12 posts

Dec 2006
Reflex is just a work in progress right now. It's playable, but nothing too serious is going on. After the game has more basic features implemented, I expect (hope) that the community will grow to something sizable.

As Prax said though, making maps is kind of fun. The editor truly is a joy to work with. These days, my free time is really not contiguous at all since I have a toddler running around the house, so actually 'playing' games is much more difficult.
2014-11-28, 19:10
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
Adrenalin wrote:
heh that sounds fun im gonna download reflex and start making maps ehe sounds fun ehe

2014-11-29, 12:28
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Adrenalin wrote:
i was just wondering... but why would u play dm3 dm4 aero on reflex when u can play the original at qw???

Same with CPMA. You can already play it now with a full feature set.
2014-11-29, 14:33
12 posts

Dec 2006
Quote:
Same with CPMA. You can already play it now with a full feature set.

A full feature set and a dead community with no hope of gaining any significant number of new players. How exciting. Sorry, I'm just over (playing) QW at this stage in my life, and I look forward to a proper successor.

Reflex might be far from completion, but I don't see any other game that interests me nearly as much. Let me know if there is something better that stands a chance of having a healthy community.

(Edited 2014-11-29, 17:16)
2014-11-29, 14:43
176 posts

Mar 2012
wow as in world of warcraft not like qw but cool community

(Edited 2014-11-29, 14:46)
2014-11-29, 14:45
176 posts

Mar 2012
loads of games out there with a crazy nice community but no other game that has one that is like qw ......and i think reflex is nothing like qw not even anywhere close
but its maybe a nice fps game for ppl that like fps games but i doubt alot of ppl will play it and in 1 year nobody left. look at qw 17 years or more and still ppl playing it
cant ever get sick of it can u ? (:
  125 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page