User panel stuff on forum
  12 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2014-07-07, 04:21
7 posts

Jul 2014
Hello Everyone,

Its been years since I thought of QW, but these exciting childhood memories could stay dormant forever. I am considering getting back in it and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations on the best way to get started?All my old configs/pc etc etc are long gone, and I see that nquake is the way to go. What about hardware specs? I am assuming anything will run it in today's world. I am more curious about the mouse monitor recommendation. I wish I still had my old configs - are there still RJ jump binds and weapon switch configs widely available? I would love to run in to some old quakers from the past! I'm glad to see QW is still alive!
2014-07-07, 10:31
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
welcome back!

to help you start, there's plenty of content here on rookies corner forum.

In these summer months there is little activity, but there some action... bookmark http://qtv.atrophied.co.uk/ and hang on irc. The american boys will hopefully post here and tell you where they hang out.. #quakeworld maybe and #qwrookie

hf!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-07-07, 12:14
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
You can download a full QW package with a decent starting config and modern client from here
2014-07-07, 18:34
214 posts

Feb 2011
Welcome! The main North America irc channel is #qw.na on irc.quakenet.org, although it's a bit quiet. If you're going to buy a monitor and mouse, then a 144Hz monitor makes a big difference compared with "regular" LCDs. I and many other players use this one: Asus VG248QE

Mouse is a personal preference, I like the Logitech G400S.

Cheers,
BD
2014-07-07, 18:37
214 posts

Feb 2011
forge wrote:
I wish I still had my old configs - are there still RJ jump binds and weapon switch configs widely available? I would love to run in to some old quakers from the past! I'm glad to see QW is still alive!

RJ jump binds are possible but not allowed for competition play and most people don't use them. There are lots of weapon switch configs available though, see for example this blog post by Mushi
2014-07-08, 19:13
7 posts

Jul 2014
Thanks to everyone for all your advice! I will be building a PC in the coming months for QW alone
2014-07-09, 13:03
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
forge wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all your advice! I will be building a PC in the coming months for QW alone

do not buy ATI/AMD graphic card.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-07-10, 15:50
3 posts

Jun 2014
DO NOT BUY ATI FOR QW.
2014-07-10, 22:11
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
I also cannot recommend AMD for CPU for QW either. Intel seems to perform much better for QW however my AMD is ok for modern games.
2015-09-05, 02:34
11 posts

Aug 2014
forge wrote:

So did you manage to build it up, forge?
2015-09-05, 02:34
11 posts

Aug 2014
forge wrote:

2015-09-05, 09:47
280 posts

Jan 2015
robotector wrote:
forge wrote:

Robotector,

You got a decent laptop. My advice is to use bootcamp to make a windows 7 partition and play with your notebook. Take your money to invest in a good mouse and a 144hz monitor with low input lag, as you even got a displayport video exit which is optimal for games.

I am sure you will get at least 231fps at monitors native resolution which is full hd, and a very smooth play.
dev
  12 posts on 1 page  1