User panel stuff on forum
  15 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2013-09-01, 04:38
226 posts

Jun 2006
I'm back again with another creation. I have a trick up my sleeve though. I'm collaborating with golden_boy on this one. I came up with the initial layout and he is doing the artwork / detailing / cleaning up my mapping mistakes ahah. Need some playtesting done on this one. It's meant for duel but I included a quad if you are feeling frisky and wanna 2v2.

http://i.imgur.com/5lhlJoA.jpg

The basics:
2 RL
1 LG
1 GL
1 RA
1 Mega
1 YA

Layout specifics:
Single Atrium
1 Control Tele
1 Falling Tele at YA
3.5 differing level heights

Feedback wanted:
- Should paths be added / taken away?
- Items moved?
- Spawns moved?
- Items added?
- Does it work for tournament style duel?
- Bugs?
- Map name?
- Post your demos of you playing on it in this thread!

Feedback not needed:
- Texture opinions (Just using these before doing final work)

bspname: concept2_v2.bsp

Download
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2013-09-01, 09:25
223 posts

Aug 2011
As I promised to look the map over, hereīs my initial thoughts:

Map name suggestion: industry / Industrial Showdown

Quad placement: Too many attack routes, the biggest flaw on aerowalk 2no2. Such an important aspect of the game mode should never be subject to chance to such a large extent.

LG placement: Great. Open like on dm4 and bravado makes for inevitable exciting action.

RL/GA slope not steep enough, too hard to jump straight onto the big box. You really donīt want to waste time climbing all the boxes when you donīt have to.

RA placement: Great. Three paths to attack/defend from. The one being there in time has an appropriate advantage.

YA placement: Fast, fun and fluid. Not as outspoken as the RA, which it shouldnīt be.

The mega boxes. Not too keen on them. Nice with esthetics, but all they give me is a feeling of being in the way of the fluidity. Perhaps place them in a corner?

Slope above YA feels fun and the room dynamics in general with the rocket launcher on another level easily being accessed. Also love the YA tele, where you can choose direction (rl or mega) in an aerowalk-esque manner.

No elevators nor wind tunnels: Great!

Thatīs some short notes I took while running through it. Iīll also leave you with some more advice: Please donīt overdo the map like bravado that became subterfuge, when bravado already was a very fun and fluid map. Make changes in moderation and let the dust settle before you start digging in again!
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2013-09-01, 11:27
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
cara wrote:
Quad placement: Too many attack routes, the biggest flaw on aerowalk 2no2. Such an important aspect of the game mode should never be subject to chance to such a large extent.

I disagree, I think quad placement here is nice for some heavy action 2on2s. Its placement suggest chaos and all-ins.

cara wrote:
LG placement: Great. Open like on dm4 and bravado makes for inevitable exciting action.

Agree.

cara wrote:
RL/GA slope not steep enough, too hard to jump straight onto the big box. You really donīt want to waste time climbing all the boxes when you donīt have to.

Totally agree. I hate needing to climb 3 boxes to go further. Maybe use a slope/lift instead of boxes?

cara wrote:
RA placement: Great. Three paths to attack/defend from. The one being there in time has an appropriate advantage.

Agree.

cara wrote:
YA placement: Fast, fun and fluid. Not as outspoken as the RA, which it shouldnīt be.

Sure.

cara wrote:
The mega boxes. Not too keen on them. Nice with esthetics, but all they give me is a feeling of being in the way of the fluidity. Perhaps place them in a corner?

I disagree. Love the aesthetics of these, giving the map nice character. Maybe putting some lightweight item behind it, such as a health box.

cara wrote:
(...) Also love the YA tele, where you can choose direction (rl or mega) in an aerowalk-esque manner.

I don't like the YA teleport destination being so close, just above where you entered. I'd suggest it leading farther away from this area somehow.

Overall: Love the industrial theme and thoughts behind this! Feels fresh. Good job as always, Fenris
(One wish I have is some better work with ceiling/roof heights beeing to onesided. Like, lowering the ceiling in one room drastically. I personally like low ceilings, with natural Q1 claustrophobic feel. )
Join us on discord.quake.world
2013-09-01, 17:27
226 posts

Jun 2006
I agree the boxes are annoying. I've never like them in any map I've ever played. dunno why I decided to try them here again.

This is what I came up with:
http://puu.sh/4gvW3.jpg

I think bps might be right about ya-tele exit. Maybe it should take you high, and also move rl high like this picture tries to explain?:
http://puu.sh/4gwkg.jpg
2013-09-01, 17:48
14 posts

Jul 2007
http://spawnhost.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/collabmap1.jpg

http://spawnhost.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/collabmap2.jpg

New textures and stuff. WIP version.

EZQuake doesn't support .lit files, entity .alpha or other cool stuff like that, right? For a level designer, that's quite an annoying limitation.

Blog entry

Oh, by the way, from an artist's point of view, black sky in a sunlit environment is pretty cringeworthy

(Edited 2013-09-01, 18:27)
2013-09-01, 18:27
223 posts

Aug 2011
Donīt forget that the ya-tele already takes you to the highest level if you strafe and turn left. Geez bps, I really thought you alphatested more thoroughly!
2013-09-01, 19:37
226 posts

Jun 2006
cara wrote:
Donīt forget that the ya-tele already takes you to the highest level if you strafe and turn left. Geez bps, I really thought you alphatested more thoroughly!

I don't think that was his issue. It is that the exit is directly above the teleporter. way to close to the entrance of it distance wise. Not necessarily the level height but the actual distance between entrance and exit.
2013-09-01, 19:55
223 posts

Aug 2011
Sure, but Iīm not sure why itīs a bad thing? I imagine it being pretty cool when you chase somebody into the teleporter and then predicting his entrance just above. It feels to me more like an actual feature of the map.
2016-09-13, 07:06
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Any new release coming soon?
Join us on discord.quake.world
2016-09-15, 02:32
69 posts

Aug 2014
Only played a couple duels on it so far but I like how there's very little health compared to other duel maps.
Fun stuff, excited for more. Maybe you should texture it like acidwdm2 in warsow (colour-coded rooms)?
2016-09-20, 13:09
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
Quote:
EZQuake doesn't support .lit files

Support.
2016-09-24, 02:06
375 posts

Sep 2009
WOWW!!
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2016-11-21, 13:22
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Sorry for bump, but was this map ever finished?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2016-11-21, 20:41
57 posts

Oct 2015
Negative on the affirmitive
2016-11-21, 20:41
57 posts

Oct 2015
Negative on the affirmitive
  15 posts on 1 page  1