User panel stuff on forum
  11 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2013-01-27, 12:29
1435 posts

Jan 2006
If I go to the homepage of the current global multiplayer hit, http://worldoftanks.com/ - it all hits me in the face with tanks. The game is about shooting and tanks, and that's what you get on that page. The webpage is juicy, and very tempting, begging you to try all that tank madness immediately, be part of that intense action.

It's like QuakeWorld never had such a page. Why? I was hoping the new QuakeWorld.nu redesign would go that way, but sadly nope. Seriously, there are no good designers in the community? What is the problem? Even nQuake's redesigned homepage is still boring. I mean, there's a video, but that's about it.
2013-01-27, 20:33
344 posts

Nov 2006
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786
2013-01-28, 07:56
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
I think that what he is saying is that the page is very noob friendly and is very easy and attractive
Link, we are not even oldtimers anymore, we are dinosaurs. - Hooraytio
2013-01-28, 10:12
43 posts

Apr 2012
Sure you could get more action shots into the page, other than that I like the design of this better than worldoftanks.
Also you can't ignore the fact that theres a difference between voluntary work and full time hired, but you probably know this.
2013-01-28, 11:03
1435 posts

Jan 2006
My point being, take a person who never played neither QuakeWorld nor World of Tanks, show him "the homepage of QuakeWorld" and "the homepage of World of Tanks" and then ask them which game they are more interested in trying out, which game, based on the webpage, seems more attractive and is worth the download/install/try out process. I am not saying QuakeWorld.nu as a news site should be "the homepage of QuakeWorld". It's just that QW never had such a nice sexy homepage.
2013-01-28, 18:20
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
I'm with johnny. We need a sweet design. Its easier said than done, of course, but we have all the tools! Just somebody needs to do it.

(That someone is definitely not me, or I would be on it...)

And I for one think quakeworld.nu /is/ the homepage of quakeworld (what is the alternative???) and should be more noob friendly, or whatever you want to call it.
2013-01-28, 19:35
124 posts

Apr 2012
Would just a really nice "R U READY 2 ENTER QUAKEWORLD.NU" page do the trick? Like, some kind of nice cover page?

nQuake's site should all be EXTREME though, since it's so tiny. amiright?
2013-01-29, 00:45
226 posts

Jun 2006
I think in the side margins near the top of the page there is great space for quakeworld related imagery. Quakeworld.nu is more of a portal site to me than strictly just a news site. Simple animated quakeworld related advertisements that rotate would go great where the salvation 4on4 draft league sign up image is would be great and not compromise the original design. You could also plug a snapshot of the leaderboard stats in there from the stats.quakeworld.nu duel section. I think there are free scripts out there that could achieve this or we probably have the talent pool to do a custom script just for the site.

Although I agree with Johnny that something to excite players is better than what we have now I'm not going to trick myself into thinking that this would instantly grab more players attention and make them want to play. It would be a step in the right direction though.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2013-01-29, 12:30
286 posts

Sep 2012
I'm willing to make some nice visuals and even new shorter advertisement videos, and i guess i would not be the only one, but do we all have enough motivation do to stuff like that ?
I mean i've been playing qw for almost a year now, so i'm still really enthusiastic about all that, and by chance i can do some graphic shit,but i guess 90% of the community has been here for years running all kind of stuff, and now they just want to chill out, they already did their part of the job.
2013-01-29, 15:56
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
You hit me right in the spot there, Jissse: "I've been here for years running all kind of stuff, and now I just want to chill out, I already did my part of the job."
But after reading your comment, I felt urged to crawl out of slumber and contribute if needed.

I can do any kind of design and have alot of ideas, but rather spend my spare time destroying rather than creating (working creatively 8 hours/day). A serious project owner would be ideal to request and coordinate work. He could ask me for design stuff, and then I would contribute.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2013-01-29, 18:49
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
Design a 4 v 4 ladder
Link, we are not even oldtimers anymore, we are dinosaurs. - Hooraytio
  11 posts on 1 page  1