User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2012-11-03, 12:56
3 posts

Nov 2012
Hello there guys! My name's promyy, and I'm absolutely new to QW

First of all: feels great to play this game. I'm a competitive player (played Wolfenstein: Enemy Teritory, Battlefield 3 and some other stuff recently in cups/leagues) but I have to admit that playing classic games is always better than competitive gaming. Period! But now, as I'm absolutely new to Quake World, I need some help:

1. I'm highly confused with EB. The "animation" of the lighting that the gun shoots is... "shaky". I hope you know what I mean Anyways, the thing comes to hit detection: How is the EB hit detection working? Does it hit the point where the animation is pointed, or where the crosshair is pointed not having much to do with the "lightning" that is visible?... In other words: Does the lightning hit point where it strokes, or where the crosshair is located?
2. Is there any 3rd party tool for HUD configuration? I've tried customizing my HUD with ezhud.cfg but... I think it's kinda bugged. Sometimes, when I ie. move health bar, some other elements - in this example the fps counter - moves in the same pattern as the health bar. This makes me unable to configure some things :/ I know that there are 3rd party tools like that for Quake Live... but I couldn't find any for QW.
3. I use nQuake, therefore when I open up the game, then go to multiplayer and set up a server for me and my friend rhino, it's always running fbca. Are there any ways to make the server vanilla? I just don't want any mods to be running while I just want to play with my buddy.
4. I have a problem with recording matches. I found out that you can record by using /record, but whenever I hit by F7 button (which I binded for /record) and then restart the server, the recording stops. So, is there any ways to:
a) Set the server so players have to ready up before playing, so that I wouldn't have to /restart the server?
b) Configure the recording so it wouldn't stop after /restart?
5. My mouse is a little buggy. In the menu, it looks like it's only refreshing 3 times per second or so... It's massively shaking and is inaccurate. My mouse settings are ok, the refresh rate is just the same as my mouse has, and all other settings are ok as well. Also, during the game, my mouse works very good, but once in 10-15 seconds it like gains a little boost for a half of a second... It's annoying and very random, making my aim inaccurate. I use Razer Abyssus @ 120hz and 1800dpi with 8.4 sensitivity in-game and default Windows sensitivity. Every m_ setting at the default value and no mouse acceleration.

I think that's all. Thanks in advance guys!
2012-11-03, 16:06
23 posts

Apr 2012
promyy wrote:
Hello there guys! My name's promyy, and I'm absolutely new to QW

First of all: feels great to play this game. I'm a competitive player (played Wolfenstein: Enemy Teritory, Battlefield 3 and some other stuff recently in cups/leagues) but I have to admit that playing classic games is always better than competitive gaming. Period! But now, as I'm absolutely new to Quake World, I need some help:

1. I'm highly confused with EB. The "animation" of the lighting that the gun shoots is... "shaky". I hope you know what I mean Anyways, the thing comes to hit detection: How is the EB hit detection working? Does it hit the point where the animation is pointed, or where the crosshair is pointed not having much to do with the "lightning" that is visible?... In other words: Does the lightning hit point where it strokes, or where the crosshair is located?
2. Is there any 3rd party tool for HUD configuration? I've tried customizing my HUD with ezhud.cfg but... I think it's kinda bugged. Sometimes, when I ie. move health bar, some other elements - in this example the fps counter - moves in the same pattern as the health bar. This makes me unable to configure some things :/ I know that there are 3rd party tools like that for Quake Live... but I couldn't find any for QW.
3. I use nQuake, therefore when I open up the game, then go to multiplayer and set up a server for me and my friend rhino, it's always running fbca. Are there any ways to make the server vanilla? I just don't want any mods to be running while I just want to play with my buddy.
4. I have a problem with recording matches. I found out that you can record by using /record, but whenever I hit by F7 button (which I binded for /record) and then restart the server, the recording stops. So, is there any ways to:
a) Set the server so players have to ready up before playing, so that I wouldn't have to /restart the server?
b) Configure the recording so it wouldn't stop after /restart?
5. My mouse is a little buggy. In the menu, it looks like it's only refreshing 3 times per second or so... It's massively shaking and is inaccurate. My mouse settings are ok, the refresh rate is just the same as my mouse has, and all other settings are ok as well. Also, during the game, my mouse works very good, but once in 10-15 seconds it like gains a little boost for a half of a second... It's annoying and very random, making my aim inaccurate. I use Razer Abyssus @ 120hz and 1800dpi with 8.4 sensitivity in-game and default Windows sensitivity. Every m_ setting at the default value and no mouse acceleration.

I think that's all. Thanks in advance guys!

1) What you are experiencing is cl_fakeshaft 0 wich is the true way the EB shoots to make this easier on the eyes try using cl_fakeshaft 2
2)type hud_Editor in console. qw huds are diffrent then in quake live in the sense that you can switch out charsets fonts etc easily.
3)well in the console you can type diffrent things for diffrent mods! 1on1 makes it standard 1on1 rules while ffa makes the ruleset change once again.
4) well i have no idea, i always use /cmd dlist and then /cmd dl (the demo number i want).
a) i have no idea but i guess /ready is apart of ktx ? why are you trying to host own servers anyway?
b) once again dont think that is possible but im not rly sure try playing on real servers if your not on lan.
5) this either is threaded optimization or the fact that your mouse polling rate is very low , bump it up to 500hz. if that doesnt help i think it can be the fact that your running a dual core or higher , if you have nvidia try going to drivers and turning threaded optimization off. i myself have to go to task manager and select that only one core is used in ezquake-gl

come by #qwrookie on irc @quakenet if you got any other questions
2012-11-03, 16:53
3 posts

Nov 2012
Captainkidman wrote:
4) well i have no idea, i always use /cmd dlist and then /cmd dl (the demo number i want).
a) i have no idea but i guess /ready is apart of ktx ? why are you trying to host own servers anyway?
b) once again dont think that is possible but im not rly sure try playing on real servers if your not on lan.

I'm just used to hosting servers. Every time I play with my friends I just easily go to multiplayer options and host a localhost server so that my friend(s) can join. Are there any alternatives in QW for that? You seem a bit surprised
2012-11-03, 17:51
23 posts

Apr 2012
Well that doesnt work very well
2012-11-03, 18:10
3 posts

Nov 2012
Captainkidman wrote:
Well that doesnt work very well

Why? I've been playing like that for several days right now and it works pretty good. I haven't noticed anything strange/weird/bad about the server.
2012-11-03, 20:57
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Why don't you go on some public server and play with your friends ^^ qtv.quakeworld.nu / http://www.quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/pl=1/so=8/, there are loads of places to find servers =)

Yours,
2012-11-03, 21:13
29 posts

Aug 2009
promyy catch me on IRC @ irc.quakenet.org @ #qw.pl @ I'll help you.
The Bad Place Addicted.
  7 posts on 1 page  1