User panel stuff on forum
  29 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2012-09-28, 09:20
Member
2258 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Have anyone played qw on a raspberry pi?

problems? fps? etc??? tell me if you have
2012-09-28, 10:57
Member
210 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Raspberry PI have a ARM processor. i doubt quakeworld is ported to arm at all. and guess it never will
2012-09-28, 12:54
Administrator
1214 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
sassa wrote:
Have anyone played qw on a raspberry pi?

problems? fps? etc??? tell me if you have


WELCOME BACK SASSA!
you were missed =)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2012-09-28, 12:58
Administrator
1214 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
raket wrote:
Raspberry PI have a ARM processor. i doubt quakeworld is ported to arm at all. and guess it never will


I thought it could be ran in ARM via some Linux OS :|
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2012-09-28, 14:31
Member
210 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
mushi wrote:
raket wrote:
Raspberry PI have a ARM processor. i doubt quakeworld is ported to arm at all. and guess it never will


I thought it could be ran in ARM via some Linux OS :|

Just because it runs linux doesnt mean it runs quake. and it's afaik not ported to the architecture arm.
2012-09-28, 15:00
Member
1099 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Several Quake engines have been ported to ARM. 3-4 at the very least.
FTEQW even runs on Android (which usually is ARM).
2012-09-28, 15:39
Member
312 posts

Registered:
Nov 2006
Yes I think almost every major client has made the effort trying it to run on Android. Doesn't sound too exciting to port it to the pi. It is more likely a matter of hardware availability and motivation..
2012-09-28, 19:43
Administrator
1016 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Client is probably harder to get running than a server. I've run mvdsv on a network camera based on MIPS (ktx gave floating point exceptions)..

If you mean to run it on raspberry pi in linux it shouldn't (in theory) atleast be that big of a problem to make it "work" atleast, as long as you can compile for the target and have necessary libs available.
2012-09-28, 21:18
Member
206 posts

Registered:
Aug 2011
I thought this was a reply to "What did you have for dinner?".

Get your shiznits together sassa and get back into QW!
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2012-09-30, 16:16
Member
2258 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Tuna wrote:
Yes I think almost every major client has made the effort trying it to run on Android.

no1 have got it to work on android?
2012-10-01, 07:25
Member
312 posts

Registered:
Nov 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alpIu9j4SRY

Well I think it is more like a feasability study at this time. Don't you agree hat controls on a phone or tablet are not suited for serious quaking as they are right now? I guess this renders the userbase to an absolute zero. Not much motivation for a developer to support this port..

From a technical point of view if you run Linux on the Pi all that should be required is to port the OpenGL calls to OpenGL ES. All other Linux API's should be supported.. I suppose? Software version might work right away..
2012-10-01, 22:42
Member
2258 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Would be nice to spec games on the phone or tablet
2012-10-02, 08:29
Member
312 posts

Registered:
Nov 2006
Yes.. but that is what HTML5 and WebGL was meant for *cough* *cough*
2012-10-02, 10:50
Member
1099 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Spectating should totally work with FTEQW. Input is an issue though
2012-11-06, 16:44
Member
124 posts

Registered:
Apr 2012
I will try this when I get a pi! It should get decent FPS (it plays quake 3 fine at 1920x1080, according to the old pre-release news), but a big issue is probably that it can only run at 60hz over HDMI....
2012-11-24, 00:16
News Writer
825 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
There is a new model out also with more RAM and some other upgrades too. I saw a vid of q3 running on it. Looked good.
2012-11-24, 22:41
Administrator
1016 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
dirtbox wrote:
There is a new model out also with more RAM and some other upgrades too. I saw a vid of q3 running on it. Looked good.

Yeah I recieved my Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB version this week. Haven't decided how much fun I'm gonna try to have with it yet

Running ezQuake on Raspberry Pi would unfortunately mean that most of the rendering code would need to be rewritten to more modern shader based rendering. ezQuake as a project would need this, even for desktop, so anyone reading this with OpenGL knowledge and the will to help, give me a PM instantly!
2013-06-04, 08:16
Member
1 post

Registered:
Jun 2013
Hi everyone!
We have a port effort going on over at the Raspberry Pi forums.
The thread is available at:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=44447

And the github repo is over at:
https://github.com/welford/qurp

It's not ready for prime time or regular users yet, but anyone with some development skills is welcome to help.
2013-06-04, 13:35
Administrator
1016 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
johannesl wrote:
Hi everyone!
We have a port effort going on over at the Raspberry Pi forums.
The thread is available at:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=44447

And the github repo is over at:
https://github.com/welford/qurp

It's not ready for prime time or regular users yet, but anyone with some development skills is welcome to help.

Hi!

This definitly looks interesting! GLES is also always interesting. I'd recommend to base the work on a commonly used engine, preferably qw engine like ezQuake which would benefit both camps. I'm currently the only developer in the ezQuake camp and ezQuake really need an overhaul, especially in the gfx department. If it's possible to combine the work, make the client work nicely on RPi and at the same time get the client in a better shape, it would be awesome, especially since ezQuake is the client that the absolute majority uses in the Quakeworld scene.

There are also other clients out there, some have much cleaner/better code like Fodquake, but it currently lacks some features that players today take for granted. Other clients like FTE are much (i really mean much) more technically advanced and better, but has a focus that is not really "qw only".

So for some reason we are stuck with ezQuake and we currently lack QW developers. It would be awesome if you'd like to help out
2013-11-07, 12:00
Administrator
1214 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
eb compiled the mvdsv and ktx sources for rpi

We did some testing:
- with 7 players + 1 spec, cpu usage was around 80% with everyone spamming sng at dm3 outside
- in conclusion it will be enough for 2on2, not sure on a competitive 4on4 match.


some instructions for setting the server up:

1. Download nQuakesv (linux server version) from http://nquake.com/;
2. Use the script to download and install everything. answer no to both "QTV" and "QWFWD" - no binaries yet for rpi;
3. go to nquakesv / folder and backup mvdsv and ktx/qwprogs.so (rename)
4. download the raspberry pi binaries of these files from here: https://mega.co.nz/#!mhY3DIjJ!BxHv40BeIzkPMw0T0LAZD16ll0xaYliNaptE-LJIII0
5. give +x permissions to mvdsv (its called the multiview server and replaces the old qwsv binary);
6. to start your server, type ./run/port1.sh

voilà! the server has started in 28501 port.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2013-11-07, 12:35
Member
287 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
mushi wrote:
eb compiled the mvdsv and ktx sources for rpi

We did some testing:
- with 7 players + 1 spec, cpu usage was around 80% with everyone spamming sng at dm3 outside
- in conclusion it will be enough for 2on2, not sure on a competitive 4on4 match.


some instructions for setting the server up:

1. Download nQuakesv (linux server version) from http://nquake.com/;
2. Use the script to download and install everything. answer no to both "QTV" and "QWFWD" - no binaries yet for rpi;
3. go to nquakesv / folder and backup mvdsv and ktx/qwprogs.so (rename)
4. download the raspberry pi binaries of these files from here: https://mega.co.nz/#!mhY3DIjJ!BxHv40BeIzkPMw0T0LAZD16ll0xaYliNaptE-LJIII0
5. give +x permissions to mvdsv (its called the multiview server and replaces the old qwsv binary);
6. to start your server, type ./run/port1.sh

voilà! the server has started in 28501 port.



AWESOME
ProjectQ1Q3, Frogbot Waypoint and Map Conversion Tutorial @ http://mickkn.mooo.com
2014-04-23, 09:51
Administrator
1214 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
quick update on this:

Spike has compiled FTE, both client AND server, for raspberry pi. links on http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/How_to_server

Also, old news buth worth mentioning imo: Spike has released a FTE port for android phones (FTEDroid). more info at http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/FTEDroid
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-04-23, 11:43
News Writer
825 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Interesting... I have a Raspberry Pi sitting at home doing nothing...
2014-04-23, 13:40
Administrator
1214 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
too bad
* connect it to an external drive and u can sftp to it;
* setup a squid http proxy to bypass the company's security policy (access youtube and porntube at work)
* download torrents 24/7 with http gui
* setup qw server
* wake pcs on the lan with magic packet
* ...

or
* simple media player (xbmc)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-06-12, 12:20
Member
287 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
How do I start 1 nquakeserver from boot on the raspberry ?

right now I do

~/nquakesv $ ./run/port1.sh


in the Terminal

Are there a easy script to make somewhere?
ProjectQ1Q3, Frogbot Waypoint and Map Conversion Tutorial @ http://mickkn.mooo.com
2014-06-12, 13:14
Member
312 posts

Registered:
Nov 2006
Assuming you are running on debian (but I guess this applies to all other linux flavours as well) there is /etc/rc.local. Everything you put in there is run on startup. Put in a line like this:

su - pi -c "cd ~/nquakesv; ./run/port1.sh & &> /dev/null"


Or something like that..
2014-06-12, 13:54
Administrator
1016 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Tuna wrote:
Assuming you are running on debian (but I guess this applies to all other linux flavours as well) there is /etc/rc.local. Everything you put in there is run on startup. Put in a line like this:

su - pi -c "cd ~/nquakesv; ./run/port1.sh & &> /dev/null"


Or something like that..

Weeell not really (about it applies to other linux flavours)

SysV init has initscripts in /etc/init.d/ and has /etc/rc.x/ folders for different runlevels. Normal runlevel is 3.

If you run Arch linux for instance on the Pi it's using systemd, which does work completely different (parallell startups @ boot etc). I'd recommend writing a proper .service file for systemd. Could probably help if you need it.

AFAIK &> is bashism, dunno about support in other shells.

Off topic: I'm using my Pi with Raspbmc and it works flawlessly as HTPC now adays.
2014-06-12, 14:13
Member
312 posts

Registered:
Nov 2006
There is no rc-local.service on Arch Linux?
2014-06-12, 16:44
Administrator
1016 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Tuna wrote:
There is no rc-local.service on Arch Linux?

systemd doesn't normally work with the old concept of runlevels. It uses what it calls targets, the equivalent of "normal desktop runlevel" would be multi-user.target on systemd. So if you have some service you want to start, you'd symlink (or systemctl enable will do that for you) the service file to (one of) the mult-user.target.wants folder(s) (Recommend reading about systemd if interested ).

If your service requires networking for instance, you need to specify this as a dependency in the service file. There are Before= and After= statements for instance, Requires=, Wants=, etc to specify dependencies. This is due to the nature of systemd; everything that can be started in parallell will be, but it requires that your dependencies are correct.
  29 posts on 1 page  1