User panel stuff on forum
  22 posts on 1 page  1
Other Tournaments
2012-09-28, 08:36
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Does anyone know the status of the tournaments that will kick off in 2012? Thunderdome seems 100% and Hymn of Hope 2on2 also feels like a fairly safe bet, but what about EQL and draft league? Will they even happen?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2012-09-28, 21:25
223 posts

Aug 2011
From what I have heard, which is very little, is that the EQL is relying heavily on Zalon to get a site up (sorry for calling you out).

About the draft, there are some noises being heard, but I would not hold my breath either.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2012-10-02, 22:47
212 posts

Apr 2006
Who would play in EQL?
This is a serious question. I think it would be pointless if people put effort into a new season without at least 10 clans who are safe to participate.
2012-10-02, 23:48
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
cara wrote:
From what I have heard, which is very little, is that the EQL is relying heavily on Zalon to get a site up (sorry for calling you out).

The issue is not setting up the website, it doesn't take long anymore... The issue is that with the current activity, I don't think that there is any point in running a EQL season right now.

I can't say anything for certain as I'm not actively involved, but I expect another Salvation season (with more than 1 division) this fall and then a EQL season starting in January, when the scene has hopefully seen an activity boost.
2012-10-03, 07:13
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Zalon wrote:
cara wrote:

The issue is not setting up the website, it doesn't take long anymore... The issue is that with the current activity, I don't think that there is any point in running a EQL season right now.

I can't say anything for certain as I'm not actively involved, but I expect another Salvation season (with more than 1 division) this fall and then a EQL season starting in January, when the scene has hopefully seen an activity boost.

We could put up an interest check though, hard to know how many teams that would actually crawl out from their nest when a tournament is announcing.
2012-10-03, 11:06
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
It's hard to recruit members to a team/clan as many seem to have league play as their main focus - if there is nothing to practice for, they won't join (or play at all even?). Other teams won't practice either if there is no team competition announced, which makes the 4on4 scene totally dead and any team founding initiative feels quite uninspiring to be honest.

I expected draft league to take focus from clan games, but to this extent - what the hell? :S
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2012-10-03, 13:34
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Let's do a poll to see if there's interest in another EQL?
Join us on discord.quake.world
2012-10-03, 16:56
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
I expected draft league to take focus from clan games, but to this extent - what the hell? :S

As I see it, the draft season good be a good motivator for activating players, and then clans can be rebuilt for an EQL season in january
2012-10-03, 17:14
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Somewhere in the back of my head, I feel that clanactivity and EQL go hand in hand.

One won't work without the other.

Yours,
Andeh
2012-10-03, 19:20
245 posts

Jan 2006
Just announce the tournament. people will start playing again!
2012-10-03, 20:21
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
raket wrote:

+1
Join us on discord.quake.world
2012-10-03, 23:46
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Indeed, like I said, with EQL comes activity. EQL can't wait for activity as they go hand in hand.

Yours,
Andeh
2012-10-04, 04:41
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
bps wrote:
raket wrote:

+1

I agree with this.
2012-10-04, 07:34
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
A draft season would be a great boost for the 4on4 scene. It can even be seen as a teambuilding event, especially in the lower division if there will be one. After that we have a much better chance at setting up a successful EQL season. It is already getting short on time to signup, play a season and have playoffs before christmas. Having the season cut in half by christmas is generally a bad thing.
Chosen
2012-10-04, 18:48
2 posts

Sep 2012
Draft league or nothing it seems (wich obviously should include everyone), I can only speak for myself tho. the way i see it is like this. there is no point in div leagues anymore, it takes too much of your time, your reward is minimal or nothing as there is no progress or ability to progress in this small community.
2012-10-04, 19:53
212 posts

Apr 2006
I also disagree with previous posters' opinion. Running a league to raise activity will only work to a certain level. But this won't be enough to get a decent season going. Check out last season which ran with 2 groups. If I remember correctly, before the season had started there were at least a few teams active like DC, SD, Machinery, Paras and partly SR. The rest of the teams were rather silent who hadn't played much pracs but joined the league (and were rather idle or inactive).
Currently, the scene lacks both the active clans as well as the sure bets that are rather silent but would still join and play.

I know, it's hard to admit that another season at this point may not turn out to be successful, especially if you're interested in another season - I guess most of us who follow this thread are.
2012-10-04, 20:19
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Without stating the obvious too much, one of the reasons for inactivity in terms of clans is that you need at least 4 active players interested in playing to even get some prac games (even allowing for some standin augmentation). There are probably some dormant clans out there with 2 or 3 guys interested in playing regularly but with no leagues they maybe don't feel like going on a recruitment drive, or trying to coax other clanmates out of retirement/inactivity.

I think in the absence of a 'proper' tournament a draft league or similar might help because it would at least give a platform for these 'widowed' quakers to get something other than mix games and maybe give rise to some new clans being formed etc.
2012-10-05, 10:12
459 posts

Mar 2008
How about a one-day/short EQL similar to the EQLro ran some seasons ago, with a gold/silver/bronze div? It shouldn't be that much of a hassle to set up, and the people motivated to play will get to play at least one day on a competetive platform. Set the dates in stone, so you actually know before you sign up when you gotta be around. I think this would greatly boost clan activity as well, without risking the tournament to be split by Xmas hollidays.
2012-10-05, 10:25
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Rikoll wrote:
How about a one-day/short EQL similar to the EQLro ran some seasons ago, with a gold/silver/bronze div? It shouldn't be that much of a hassle to set up, and the people motivated to play will get to play at least one day on a competetive platform. Set the dates in stone, so you actually know before you sign up when you gotta be around. I think this would greatly boost clan activity as well, without risking the tournament to be split by Xmas hollidays.

I tend to agree. I think most of the regular season in EQL feels like a looong waste of time period, some teams play insanely much the first weeks, then idle for about 8 weeks. Then other teams do the opposite, they idle 8 weeks then play a lot last 2 weeks.

Perhaps its an idea to run a tournament like you propose but over lets say 2-3 weeks of regular season and then playoffs?

Comments? (Please quote me)
2012-10-05, 10:39
253 posts

Nov 2007
When will HoH starts?
or any chance for a 2on2 EQL with divisions?
cheat 2 win!
2012-10-05, 10:46
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Like said previously - an announcement will come soon regarding HoH 2on2 tournament!

Yours,
2012-12-22, 21:48
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
How about just give me a coder and u got signup 3rd of January
Link, we are not even oldtimers anymore, we are dinosaurs. - Hooraytio
  22 posts on 1 page  1