User panel stuff on forum
  142 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
Server Talk
2014-05-22, 11:05
344 posts

Nov 2006
dimman wrote:
I tried to get the Qizmo authors to give out the source code for qizmo, basically for the qwz format, but didn't get a hold of the second guy who wrote it. So no source code for that

I think we tried to get it from them several times in the past. The original response was the source was lost due to a hard drive crash and no backups. True or not I don't think we will ever get it. If the method used would have been documented that would have been nice though..
2014-05-22, 14:19
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
I am a bit in two-minds about the Qizmo source being released. On one hand it could benefit the community...

But on the other hand if it went the way which Cheapo did then for sure I hope the Qizmo source is never released. Cheapo was actually a great proxy and could be used for competition games until the source was released. Now if you were to use Cheapo you would be labelled a cheat (even if you were using the last official release). I actually still use Qizmo. I paid for my own reg code back in the day and I want to continue to be able to use it without being cheapo'd.
2014-05-22, 21:48
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
dirtbox wrote:
I am a bit in two-minds about the Qizmo source being released. On one hand it could benefit the community...

But on the other hand if it went the way which Cheapo did then for sure I hope the Qizmo source is never released. Cheapo was actually a great proxy and could be used for competition games until the source was released. Now if you were to use Cheapo you would be labelled a cheat (even if you were using the last official release). I actually still use Qizmo. I paid for my own reg code back in the day and I want to continue to be able to use it without being cheapo'd.

? I think you're confused. That way of thinking is both painfully dangerous and wrong. It's security by obscurity; when the security lies in keeping things hidden/secret/obfuscated. It's broken by design.

There is no threat at all to releasing the source code. Almost everything quakeworld is open source! Heck the RSA encryption your bank, the US government, NSA uses is open source...
2014-05-23, 05:20
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
dimman wrote:
think you're confused. That way of thinking is both painfully dangerous and wrong. It's security by obscurity; when the security lies in keeping things hidden/secret/obfuscated. It's broken by design.

There is no threat at all to releasing the source code. Almost everything quakeworld is open source! Heck the RSA encryption your bank, the US government, NSA uses is open source...
dimman, yes I agree with you 100%. But if the source comes out and cheats are made with Qizmo then Qizmo's reputation will be tainted and I will no longer be able to use it anymore

Cheapo 2.6 is a completely valid QW Proxy with great features but you cant use it anymore because of the source cheats that came out based on 2.61
2014-05-23, 08:57
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
dirtbox wrote:
dimman wrote:
think you're confused. That way of thinking is both painfully dangerous and wrong. It's security by obscurity; when the security lies in keeping things hidden/secret/obfuscated. It's broken by design.

dimman, yes I agree with you 100%. But if the source comes out and cheats are made with Qizmo then Qizmo's reputation will be tainted and I will no longer be able to use it anymore

Cheapo 2.6 is a completely valid QW Proxy with great features but you cant use it anymore because of the source cheats that came out based on 2.61

That is 100% due do incompetence and idiocy, nothing else.

You do realize that _anyone_ can take the ezQuake source and modify it however they want, and at the same time modify the version string/f_modified check etc etc, so that you have no clue that people are cheating?
2014-05-23, 09:55
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Yes, of course... but everyone knows that and they also know to be weary of people's clients... Qizmo on the other hand has an almost perfect reputation
2014-05-23, 12:24
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
dirtbox wrote:
.. Qizmo on the other hand has an almost perfect reputation

Using that as an argument is just proof of how dangerous it is to believe in security by obscurity.

So again, no offense, It's only based on lack of knowledge and has little to do with reality.

(You think it's safe because you don't know otherwise, that's completely different from being able to prove it's safe. When you can do the latter, then you're in the right zone.)
2014-05-23, 12:56
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Correct me if I am wrong: No tournaments accept Cheapo since the source was released and all tournaments still accept Qizmo.

Formerly both Cheapo and Qizmo would check/authenticate valid clients however I am not talking about the security of Qizmo (as Qizmo cannot check modern clients) - people have been able to mimic the responses it gives for a long time (ask ParadokS). It is simply the acceptable use of Qizmo (which I rely on) which would be in jeopardy. Cheapo is an example of this happening.
2014-05-23, 22:57
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
dirtbox wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong: No tournaments accept Cheapo since the source was released and all tournaments still accept Qizmo.

Don't know actually, but if it is true, and if the reason for that being that the source got released, it's 100% idiocy and lack of knowledge behind the decision.

dirtbox wrote:
Formerly both Cheapo and Qizmo would check/authenticate valid clients

In reality that is broken.

dirtbox wrote:
It is simply the acceptable use of Qizmo (which I rely on) which would be in jeopardy. Cheapo is an example of this happening.

Once again, if the source release would have anything to do with a ban of "proxies", it's incompetence behind it.
There's almost no tournament admin throughout the history of Quakeworld with decent knowledge of how things actually work. Thats your biggest problem, not what your discussing above because that's a non issue
2014-05-26, 08:59
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Hey Emp - The qwfwd on the nQuakesv installer still only reports to qwmaster.ocrana.de:27000 by default

Cheers
2014-05-27, 09:54
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
dirtbox wrote:
Hey Emp - The qwfwd on the nQuakesv installer still only reports to qwmaster.ocrana.de:27000 by default

Cheers

Should be fixed now, thanks.
2014-05-27, 11:31
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
empezar wrote:
Should be fixed now, thanks.
Sorry, one more thing.... I also noticed that the qwfwd.cfg is set to not report to master server by default anymore...
2014-12-05, 09:14
11 posts

Oct 2013
Hello,
Thank you for a great package.
Have now installed this on several machines with great success every time.

Now however I have a issue... I cant get my servers to become private (not listed in masterserver, not connected to qtv etc).
As the server will move from its current location to the actual LAN where we will play for 2 days I do not want anyone outside joining in for the fragging (yes, sounds like me being an asshole .

Easy way, plug out the internet connection on the place... But I hope there is a more refined way so we also can turn back the servers to be available for all to use the rest of the year.

Greatful for help.
2014-12-05, 10:00
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Yea, to have private servers you must disable pings to masterservers AND don't run qtv.

go to ktx folder and edit server.cfg
comment the following line, by adding double forward slashes // to the beginning of the line:
// setmaster master.quakeservers.net:27000 qwmaster.ocrana.de:27000 master.quakeworld.nu:27000 qwmaster.fodquake.net:27000

TADA
your servers are now cloaked to outside world
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-12-05, 10:53
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Dade - the other thing you can do from a routing perspective is simply remove the default gateway from the server and then it cannot access the internet but all of your local users in the same subnet will be able to access it.
2014-12-05, 16:23
11 posts

Oct 2013
mushi wrote:
Yea, to have private servers you must disable pings to masterservers AND don't run qtv.

comment the following line, by adding double forward slashes // to the beginning of the line:
// setmaster master.quakeservers.net:27000 qwmaster.ocrana.de:27000 master.quakeworld.nu:27000 qwmaster.fodquake.net:27000

TADA

Thank you Mushi and Dirtbox!

Cloaking device on .
2014-12-07, 10:43
11 posts

Oct 2013
clawunf wrote:
Dade wrote:
mushi wrote:

TADA

Thank you Mushi and Dirtbox!

Cloaking device on .

Dade.... take pictures of this lan and tell everyone to start playing on the internet also.
We will welcome them with open arms

https://fbcdn-video-o-a.akamaihd.net/hvideo-ak-xpa1/v/t43.1792-2/10556617_10153150858323135_1863252829_n.mp4?rl=1851&vabr=1234&oh=d4717a5381d2827afc0a834e7fb2003e&oe=54844B7F&__gda__=1417957908_533ca6910d6a0bc385c2dfd0ee5d2c37

Not sure if that works... Downloading videos from facebook is damn annoying .

Me and a friend were thinking for joining in for some 2on2, hopefully we get some of our dudes to go internet afterwards. Maybe some 4on4 actions, thats always fun!
2016-05-27, 10:10
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
So now a couple of years have passed since I considered testing the nQuakesv (win) package. And here I am, trying to find a download link. Not easy!

* Download link found in page#2 in this thread

* nQuake homepage telling nothing about nquakeSV in its description, only until you click "files" and happen to see it there, wow.

* An announcement that nQuakeSV now has its own github page was mentioned on page#3

* Original post doesn't mention any download link.

Love the communication capabilities!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2016-05-27, 11:12
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
bps wrote:
So now a couple of years have passed since I considered testing the nQuakesv (win) package. And here I am, trying to find a download link. Not easy!

* nQuake homepage telling nothing about nquakeSV in its description, only until you click "files" and happen to see it there, wow.

* An announcement that nQuakeSV now has its own github page was mentioned on page#3

But it's all on www.nquake.com under the "Download" link? I agree that it could be made clearer though.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2016-05-27, 19:45
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
bps wrote:

But it's all on www.nquake.com under the "Download" link? I agree that it could be made clearer though.

Yes, I noticed that now after you mentioning it. As in, the tooltip appearing on_hover the download button just doesn't cut it
Join us on discord.quake.world
2016-06-07, 12:06
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
bps wrote:
Yes, I noticed that now after you mentioning it. As in, the tooltip appearing on_hover the download button just doesn't cut it

I agree, it could be a lot more obvious.
2016-06-07, 16:13
245 posts

Jan 2006
would be nice to find the nquakesv link with lynx :-)
  142 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page