User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2012-01-29, 18:40
9 posts

Jun 2011
I have some problems with fps lag spikes on my system. I have my cl_maxfps set to 300 and it drops the fps pretty frequently and it's getting annoying. I have all the services turned off that I dared to, and I have closed all unnecessary programs from the background except for F-secure. Do people know some known to make problem application, services or drivers and hardware with win7?

I myself have Intel C2Q 6600 @ 2,7ghz, Ati Radeon 6950 1gb, 4gb mem, Razer imperator and Win7 64bit. I think that should be enough to run ezquake at stable 300fps on 1920x1080.

-Kzu
2012-01-29, 18:53
1329 posts

Apr 2006
kzu wrote:
I have some problems with fps lag spikes on my system.

Ati Radeon 6950 1gb

There's your first problem, turn off the dynamic lighting.

kzu wrote:
Win7 64bit

There's your second problem, so you have to do:

- open regedit
- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
- change NetworkThrottlingIndex to 0xFFFFFFFF
- reboot
Servers: Troopers
2012-01-29, 19:57
9 posts

Jun 2011
thanks Renzo! Seems like this helped a bit!
2012-01-29, 21:02
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I would say: Shut down the multimedia class scheduler. Just google it and you shall find (there is even a thread here on the forum about it).
2012-01-29, 23:03
1329 posts

Apr 2006
dimman wrote:
I would say: Shut down the multimedia class scheduler. Just google it and you shall find (there is even a thread here on the forum about it).

I would advice strongly against that, since it introduces other problems. The tweak I gave above fixes the ping problem without losing mmcss service, hence it is highly recommended over stopping mmcss.
2012-01-30, 07:42
133 posts

Dec 2008
Actually there is one and only one reason: Windows is not a realtime system.
Ask JohnNy_cz to support DOS or QNX versions. ;-)
2012-01-30, 10:29
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Renzo wrote:
- open regedit
- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
- reboot

Hi Renzo,
What exactly does this tweak do? I also run Windows 7 64-bit. Should everyone do this?

Cheers!
2012-01-30, 10:50
1329 posts

Apr 2006
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066

For some reason some games based on certain engines (quake/half-life) will either have high ping/packet loss (qw) or very low performance (frames per second, tf2) if that setting is left at default. Usually people got around this by disabling MMCSS, but it can cause audio crackling or similar effects when playing multimedia.

Even if this "tweak" doesn't seem to have negative effects (at least I haven't been able to find one), I don't think everyone should go tweaking the value, especially if you don't have any problems. Even so, the biggest problem from disabling the network throttling would be high cpu usage when using Gbit-networks, and I think it wouldn't eat more than 20% of your CPU under the worst conditions.

That being said, I don't have this problem, but I've still applied the tweak.

The cause for high ping/pl/low fps because of networkthrottlingindex is unknown to me, maybe it's related to soundcard/networkcard drivers?
2012-01-30, 18:30
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Renzo wrote:
- open regedit
- reboot

I didn't understood, by reading the article on the previous post, if this is intended for 32bit and/or 64bit systems.
I experience the same problem with ati card - even with dynamic lightning off - , and im running w7 32bit.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
  9 posts on 1 page  1