User panel stuff on forum
  16 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2011-12-21, 12:03
12 posts

Dec 2010
Just in time for the 12th anniversary of the release of the Quake source code, I'm happy to announce the release of QuakeForge 0.6.0.

Details
Download
Documentation
Command and Cvar docs

Most of the improvements from 0.5 (and especially 0.3) are behind the scenes. Unfortunately, there seems to be breakage on various platforms to which I have little or no access (eg, Windows), but I figured that if I wait until everything's fixed, 0.6.0 will never come out.

With this, I can focus on more user visible changes (glsl, CSQC etc).

Happy birthday, GPL Quake. Merry Christmas, Quake fans.
2011-12-21, 13:09
405 posts

Jan 2006
nice
<3
2011-12-28, 09:51
215 posts

Mar 2006
i remember using quakeforge back in the day.. maybe a decade ago now =) i was impressed because it was the first colored dynamic lighting i had seen in quake. cool to see it being worked on again.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4392/qf021.th.gif
It Takes A Tough Man To Make A Tender Rocketjump
2011-12-28, 13:49
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
taniwha wrote:
Just in time for the 12th anniversary of the release of the Quake source code, I'm happy to announce the release of QuakeForge 0.6.0.

Details
Download
Documentation
Command and Cvar docs

Most of the improvements from 0.5 (and especially 0.3) are behind the scenes. Unfortunately, there seems to be breakage on various platforms to which I have little or no access (eg, Windows), but I figured that if I wait until everything's fixed, 0.6.0 will never come out.

With this, I can focus on more user visible changes (glsl, CSQC etc).

Happy birthday, GPL Quake. Merry Christmas, Quake fans.

Great work Taniwha. I've noticed that you have been committing almost daily updates to the source code for over a year now. I'm keen to know about your motivation, just for fun? A hobby? Thats a lot of work and no releases until now! What is your goal?
2012-01-07, 02:07
12 posts

Dec 2010
Fun, hobby, and I want to see if I can sell a game using it (I've got some ideas). There's also a large dollop of pride and the thrill of satisfied uses involved.
2012-01-13, 16:33
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
taniwha, you should make an android version of quakeforge with QTV support, would kill for that
2012-01-14, 00:17
1100 posts

Jan 2006
FTEQW runs on Android (you will need a hardware keyboard though), at least that's more or less what I heard. Did not try it yet (after having trouble compiling).
2012-01-14, 00:20
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
Tried it after Spike sent me the files. Didn't even load for me, e-mailed Spike back and never got a response =(
2012-01-15, 17:39
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Zalon wrote:
taniwha, you should make an android version of quakeforge with QTV support, would kill for that

Wow I would so love that as well. Imagine speccing QW on the bus or something. And since QTV buffers first it doesn't matter if the ping isn't that great... Man that would rock rock rock. Someone who knows these things could probably SELL this application for money.

Yours,
Andeh
2012-01-17, 10:54
12 posts

Dec 2010
Actually, I'm working on a GLES compatible renderer for QF, with just that (QF on Android etc) as a goal. Just particles, player skins and resource management (freeing textures/vbos on model discard) for critical parts yet to be implemented.
2012-01-17, 12:01
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Andeh wrote:
Someone who knows these things could probably SELL this application for money.

"Thanks" to GNU/GPL this is impossible, unless you buy exclusive Quake code license (thousands of dollars I think).

On topic: great to see QF is still alive and kicking! Actually from what I saw in commit log not so long ago, it's much more alive than some other current QW clients.
2012-01-17, 12:31
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Huh? You can sell GPL software just fine. You do not need a special license. You just need to provide the source code if someone wants it.
2012-01-17, 12:41
12 posts

Dec 2010
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Andeh wrote:
Someone who knows these things could probably SELL this application for money.

"Thanks" to GNU/GPL this is impossible, unless you buy exclusive Quake code license (thousands of dollars I think).

That's actually not true. There is nothing in the GPL that stops one from selling an application based on Quake. The only restrictions are you must make the source available, and you can't restrict what others may do with the application or the code. Also, the GPL applies to only the engine, not the data. If you create all your own data: there's nothing stopping you from restricting that. In fact, I intend on doing just, though I'm undecided on how to handle the data part.

Quote:
On topic: great to see QF is still alive and kicking! Actually from what I saw in commit log not so long ago, it's much more alive than some other current QW clients.

I haven't done a lot that's QW specific, nor do I have a huge amount planned (though I do need got get qf's qtv more or less finished).
2012-01-17, 12:58
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Spirit: I know. But how are you going to sell something that has FULL source code available online? QuakeWorld QTV viewer will use Quake code. If you add your own code on top of it, it has to be GPL too. I can't see what you could possibly "sell" to people, when they can get everything for free.

Unless you make what you created unusable without some proprietary data which you are going to sell. Which is perhaps what taniwha intends to do? I'd like to hear more about that idea, as I just can't see any practical scenario how you'd do that.
2012-01-17, 13:50
129 posts

Mar 2007
If there was something that I could grab from the Android market (++automatic updates?) for a couple of quid to allow QTV speccing on my phone (for instasnce) then I probably would. You can sell 'convenience' I guess.
2012-01-18, 11:05
12 posts

Dec 2010
JohnNy_cz: as driz points out, with GPL software, you're not selling the software, but the service of building and packaging it for the user's platform of choice.

Here's something to consider: id is still selling quake1, despite (because of?) the source being released over a decade ago, and despite any replacement packs. But these days, they're not selling the engine (though they do sell non-GPL licenses: ick*), but the game data itself.

* That code base is so full of bugs and lacking in other features, sticking with the GPL and selling just the data is cheaper. $10k for the license itself is cheap, but oh the work in getting to do anything useful. Just doing a GLES renderer for QF has run to over $10k (@$50/h).
  16 posts on 1 page  1