User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Help  ‹  Hello again
  13 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2011-08-03, 17:16
2 posts

Aug 2011
Hi

Since Quakelive became a festering piece of **** I decided to come back for the new eql season, this game is cool.

Played one 2on2 today In Finland,

Was quite a close fun game.

http://i52.tinypic.com/dyn2is.jpg
" class="bb-url">
http://i52.tinypic.com/dyn2is.jpg

....suddenly “a player gains admin status” (wont mention his/her name) and bans me. lol

http://i53.tinypic.com/15engo.jpg
" class="bb-url">
http://i53.tinypic.com/15engo.jpg

Just wondered Is there any reason for this apart from the obvious?

Is It the “norm” In Quakeworld to randomly ban players... Its not so cool?

Will I be banned just on that server?

Is it possible for the ban to be removed?

Were can I find some decent 2n2 or 4n4 games? (don't mind if its Vs good players, I can take a spanking and want to learn)

I know most people wont care and thats fine but I would appreciate a reply if someone has time.

Cheers

dom
2011-08-03, 18:04
347 posts

Feb 2006
quakeworld.fi? Then it's likely Renzo. He is admin on those servers and also spectator in the first screenshot.
2011-08-03, 18:05
News Writer
169 posts

Dec 2007
Hi, talked to Badass quickly.
Seems like you got kicked cause they suspected you of using a fakenick and with a kick comes a 1 min ban or so.
No it is not the norm, but shit happens you know.
Of course you won't be banned on other servers, no centralized system here.
The ban should have been removed automatically.

Well most scandinavian servers usually have some good games going, when people are the most active.
I recommend using qtv.quakeworld.nu you can usually find some good games there, even if its meant for speccing its nice as well when just looking for a random 2on2. IRC is also awesome, in #quakeworld you will usually see people spam for games randomly using the ServeMe bots.
2011-08-03, 18:59
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
An unfortunate mishap i guess. Just be genuine and enjoy the game and you'll see that people start to recognise you on the servers, making it a much more pleasant experience.

Btw, WELCOME TO THE QW.NU FORUM!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-08-03, 19:26
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
who cares about fakenicks in 2on2 unofficials?
Chosen
2011-08-03, 20:09
226 posts

Mar 2007
I think this is due the shit in the last EQL.
2011-08-03, 21:36
1329 posts

Apr 2006
raz0 wrote:
quakeworld.fi? Then it's likely Renzo. He is admin on those servers and also spectator in the first screenshot.

Tough luck but no cigar.

I don't have tendency to kick/ban people from servers (like certain other idiots have, not the players seen on that screenshot though), unless they start shitacting and/or being abusive (read: cheating).

zappater wrote:
No it is not the norm, but shit happens you know.

Oh but it is. I don't even remember how many times people have contacted me after being kicked out of a mix game on WG, or seeing a kick happen because of a "faker".

Remember this?
Servers: Troopers
2011-08-04, 11:16
347 posts

Feb 2006
Renzo wrote:
raz0 wrote:

Tough luck but no cigar.

I don't have tendency to kick/ban people from servers (like certain other idiots have, not the players seen on that screenshot though), unless they start shitacting and/or being abusive (read: cheating).]

I was under the impression that it was a real ban, not just a temporary automatic ban from a kick. I am also under the impression that you are the admin of quakeworld.fi, and with you in the first screenshot, I just added two and two. I actually didn't know about the temp bans from kicks, so sorry if I pointed any fingers.
2011-08-04, 12:07
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Well anyway, kicking has caused temporary ban for two years or so now, as it was added as a feature for preventing abusive joining.

Also, kicking people out of servers without a real reason (or any reason) has been around so long that I can't even remember, so something like this is not a surprise to see. For what it's worth, the kick was caused by players not knowing who dominator was, and they just didn't want to play with him for this reason. They could have asked dominator to just leave, but instead they chose to kick him.
2011-08-05, 10:49
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Renzo wrote:
Also, kicking people out of servers without a real reason (or any reason) has been around so long that I can't even remember, so something like this is not a surprise to see. For what it's worth, the kick was caused by players not knowing who dominator was, and they just didn't want to play with him for this reason. They could have asked dominator to just leave, but instead they chose to kick him.

IMO:
* alone, this "kick-because-i-dont-know-you" behavior is unacceptable
* If dominator fakenicked, he wouldn't be kicked, because the players recognized the name. hence, this behavior promotes fakenicking
* this is reason enough for reviewing the admin list
* server admins should know that they have power. with power comes responsability. if they don't understand this, they shouldn't be admins.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-08-05, 11:19
1329 posts

Apr 2006
mushi wrote:
* this is reason enough for reviewing the admin list

What admin list? People use elect to get temporary admin status that they use for kicking.

mushi wrote:
* server admins should know that they have power. with power comes responsability. if they don't understand this, they shouldn't be admins.

Most of the server admins are people who actually provide the server for public. In this case they are free to do whatever they want with their servers, even if it's kicking people for no obvious reason. As for the majority of server admins, they are most likely players who just want to provide such service for players, and won't kick people without a reason (whatever that might be).

If it isn't clear by now, these cases are almost always players getting admin by election and then kicking rather than server admins doing anything. Then there are people who have gotten admin code or VIP and use that for abusive purposes, but that's quite the different story usually (been there, seen that, taken away some VIPs because of complaints).

One could always turn off admin election to prevent kicking without reason, but how would you tackle real abusers then?
2011-08-05, 14:13
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
If there are 4 players on a server, where 1 dude ain't "welcome", I'm having a hard time seeing that the game will be played
anyway, and since it requires a majority of votes to become admin, the 2 other people will have to agree to give the 3rd guy admin status,
and thus all 3 players are of the same opinion.

So what's the real difference between kicking the 4th guy and joining another server, really? (Except for the obvious that the 4th guy might just join that one too...)

This is ofcourse a measure after the dude has been asked to leave, but refuses for some reason.

It's not like its a huge problem.
2011-08-05, 17:14
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
The only problem I see with the current situation is if the "please leave" statement is not done at all but rather a straight out the door kick.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
  13 posts on 1 page  1