User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2011-05-10, 23:21
4 posts

Oct 2007
hi!

I would like to learn how I compile in linux, the MVDSV source to make a executable that runs on windows and
I would like too to learn how I compile in windows, the MVDSV source to make a executable that runs on linux.

I have both systems and would help to learn how to make these compilations.

For windows, I tried to use MinGW to create windows executables and I had no success!

thank you.
2011-05-11, 09:18
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
If you have both Linux and Windows; you compile a linux binary on linux, and windows binary on windows.

I'm guessing you would have to create a new makefile for mingw + adapt the code for it to be able to compile it like that.

Is it just for learning or what is the reason?
2011-05-11, 11:48
4 posts

Oct 2007
dimman wrote:
If you have both Linux and Windows; you compile a linux binary on linux, and windows binary on windows.
Is it just for learning or what is the reason?

Excuse me, but I believe the misunderstanding must have happened because of my bad english...

songa wrote:
I would like to learn how I compile in...

It is just for learning... It is the reason!

Excuse me, without wishing to be rude, but it seems obvious that if I have both Linux and Windows, I compile a linux binary on linux, and windows binary on windows.
I wish you could see this from another point... Someone asks for a program to run on windows and at given time I'll be using Linux without any chace to use windows!!
If I know how to do it, I'm going to get!
So I'm asking for help to learn how to do.
Another example: I can only use linux in my office and would like to build MVDSV for use on my server that works with windows 2008.
I could compile in office and use it when I got home. because I do not have much time when I'm home.

That is it.

dimman wrote:
I'm guessing you would have to create a new makefile for mingw + adapt the code for it to be able to compile it like that.

You're all right!! And also I need to install some more in the MinGW package, due the errors that appeared.
I'm working on it! (to windows binary on windows). Thanks.

Could you suggest me, another compiler that was not necessary to make all these modifications in the source code to compiles it?

Thanks you dimman, for you feedback and sorry about my poor english.
2011-05-11, 19:27
1435 posts

Jan 2006
For Windows MVDSV is prepared only to be built using Microsoft Visual Studio, I don't think MinGW is supported. For example recently I have adjusted ezQuake to compile using MinGW on Windows, it took me like two days to get all the problems resolved. In case of MVDSV it might be less complicated as there is less source code. Also, there are no third party libraries (I think), in ezQuake there were like ten, I had to compile each one manually (and figure out how).

So you started in a good way - first get MVDSV compile under Windows. That will need some changes in the source code for sure. After that is done, you can try compile using MinGW in linux to get Windows binary. Not sure what problems may arise there.
2011-05-11, 20:35
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Yeah I noticed you wrote you would like to learn how to do it, and I only wanted to get a reason for it since its a lot more complicated than doing it "the right" way .
I get you, I don't think i can help you more though. But good luck!
2011-05-12, 15:54
370 posts

Mar 2008
Dear god, Don't run a windows server for QW.
2011-05-13, 06:14
950 posts

Apr 2006
d4rin wrote:
Dear god, Don't run a windows server for QW.

Why not, works well enough for a LAN party or something
2011-05-13, 07:12
344 posts

Nov 2006
for linux
git clone http://qw-dev.net/git/mvdsv
cd mvdsv/build/make
./configure
make

oops.. just read you want to cross compile. Well what you want is a cross compiler on the building platform for the target platform. For linux building the windows binary you need to install the mingw32 compiler toolchain with the w32 API headers. They should come with any decent and recent linux distribution.

From there you should be bale to compile it as for linux itself. However you will have to use the cross compiler instead of the default compiler on the platform. It is usually somewhat called i686-mingw32-whatever-gcc. You probably can give this info to the build script via the CC= enviroment variable.
2011-05-13, 17:29
4 posts

Oct 2007
Tuna wrote:
...what you want is a cross compiler on the building platform for the target platform.
For linux building the windows binary you need to install the mingw32 compiler toolchain with the w32 API headers.
They should come with any decent and recent linux distribution.

Thank you for your feedback Tuna... Until now, I was not really sure if it would be possible to make.

I'm following a advice from JohnNy_cz and first, I will tuning MinGW on windows to compile MVDSV.

When everything is working on windows, So I'll follow your suggestion too.
I'm not a expert in programming and probably, I'll need later, a little more of your help... If possible, of course!

Thank you
2011-05-14, 06:23
344 posts

Nov 2006
On windows I usually prefer the cygwin system to compile stuff. mostly because it comes with a decent packet manager to install stuff. you also need to install the mingw things as the default compiler in mingw compiles things depenadable on the cygwin dll (so its no a real native win32 compile).
  10 posts on 1 page  1