7 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2011-05-07, 23:38
11 posts

Sep 2008
Hey,

Just look what I've just found:
http://www.innoveware.com/quakelight.html

Looks like some dude at Microsoft is rewriting Q1 with Silverlight.
it's open source and it works in a web browser.
Just imagine "Quake Live" platform for Quakeworld!!!

IMO it would be good to post that on QW.NU -- it may attract some devs.
2011-05-08, 00:17
347 posts

Feb 2006
zin wrote:
Hey,

Just look what I've just found:
http://www.innoveware.com/quakelight.html

Looks like some dude at Microsoft is rewriting Q1 with Silverlight.
it's open source and it works in a web browser.
Just imagine "Quake Live" platform for Quakeworld!!!

IMO it would be good to post that on QW.NU -- it may attract some devs.

Couple of things...

(a) This is NOT made by some guy at Microsoft. The Microsoft guy just captured (one of) the videos of the game in action.
(b) It only plays the non-interactive demo -- no single player OR multiplayer at the moment.
(c) This is Q1, not Quakeworld, so even if it had multiplayer, it'd be netquake.
(d) Silverlight is technically Windows-only technology (don't give me Moonlight BS please).
(e) Project seems abandoned since July of 2009 (at least no blog posts since then).

So, why should time be spent on this again? I mean, there is even a far more complete Q1 Flash port already available. Also, if you really want to use a browser plugin, why not use FTE -- it has a web browser plugin?
2011-05-08, 00:39
11 posts

Sep 2008
Quote:
(a) This is NOT made by some guy at Microsoft. The Microsoft guy just captured (one of) the videos of the game in action.

It's not a video, but a completely rewritten engine. It works real-time.

Quote:
(b) It only plays the non-interactive demo -- no single player OR multiplayer at the moment.

Correct, but the single player *is* there but it seems a player is unable to move because of some sort of input / camera bug.

Quote:
(c) This is Q1, not Quakeworld, so even if it had multiplayer, it'd be netquake.

Correct, but it's still a good proof of principle.

Quote:
(d) Silverlight is technically Windows-only technology (don't give me Moonlight BS please).

Windows + Mac OS

Quote:
(e) Project seems abandoned since July of 2009 (at least no blog posts since then).

Source is there, so it may (?) have some value for developers.

Quote:
So, why should time be spent on this again? I mean, there is even a far more complete Q1 Flash port already available. Also, if you really want to use a browser plugin, why not use FTE -- it has a web browser plugin?

Sorry, didn't know that. I just thought that "qw in a browser = more active players", that's all. I tried to be helpful
2011-05-08, 07:23
347 posts

Feb 2006
zin wrote:
Quote:

It's not a video, but a completely rewritten engine. It works real-time.

That's not what I meant. What I meant was that the guy who ported this to Silverlight is not from Microsoft.

zin wrote:
Quote:

Correct, but the single player *is* there but it seems a player is unable to move because of some sort of input / camera bug.

All right, I was going by the video since I don't have Silverlight (on Linux).

zin wrote:
Quote:

Windows + Mac OS

Fair enough, but I still don't see the point in spending time on something that is limited to two platforms.

zin wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, didn't know that. I just thought that "qw in a browser = more active players", that's all. I tried to be helpful

Sorry if I sounded rude, it's just that we've been over this many times before. Porting the original QW sources to Siverlight, Java or Flash just isn't a good idea. Think of all the features we have in ezQuake, FTE etc.. It would just take too freaking long to implement all of that again, and for what purpose? So you can play it in the browser? As I said, if you want that, just use FTE or have someone implement a similar web plugin for ezQuake. WebGL is also interesting, since it would automatically mean QW on cell phones with no extra work, but I think JS performance might be a bit too slow at the moment for this.
2011-05-08, 08:24
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Quake has already been ported to Java, HTML5, numerous mobile platforms and whatnot. This particular port is probably response to the HTML5 port done by somebody related to Google (IIRC). Silverlight port is sure nice, but nothing really exciting. The linux support issue is a show-stopper for any seriously meant development.
2011-05-08, 08:35
347 posts

Feb 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Quake has already been ported to Java, HTML5, numerous mobile platforms and whatnot. This particular port is probably response to the HTML5 port done by somebody related to Google (IIRC).

Both the Java port (Jake2) and the HTML5 port were Quake 2 unfortunately. Both were very complete though, with both single player and multiplayer. The HTML5 port was basically a HTML5 port of the Jake2 code though, so it's not as surprising that they were both pretty complete.
2011-05-08, 09:42
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
i wanna be able to spec games on my iphone4 or on my android phone
  7 posts on 1 page  1