User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2011-05-04, 19:45
20 posts

Mar 2010
I play Open arena from time to time (basically a quake3 rip off, but free) and it has great antilag coded in. Its an open source project so would there be a way to implement it into ezquake?. If it is possible you could quite happily play worldwide (pinging 250+) no problem. Would bring community together.

For anyone interested in OA, try it out. Its like a cross between q3 and quakeworld. Feels like quake 3 but more fun - qw style damage weapons and has dm1-dm6 qw remakes as its starter maps (and hundreds others). quite addictive

http://openarena.ws
2011-05-04, 21:05
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
MVDSV (server software for Quakeworld) has "antilag" implemented.
2011-05-04, 21:11
347 posts

Feb 2006
Maybe you should explain how this is different from the antilag that is already in MVDSV, or indeed how it is any better. Anyway, you should also realize that there is no way of making lag magically disappear -- not with current antilag in MVDSV, nor with what is in OpenArena. The only thing you *can* do, is move the lag around. Incidentally this is exactly what the antilag feature in MVDSV does: it moves the lag from the lagged player to the non-lagged player. Whether you think this is a good idea is more of a philosophical question.
2011-05-04, 22:03
20 posts

Mar 2010
I know we have antilag already, but this just feels different. Maybe it can't be done at all, I just thought about how good it was compared to qw, and maybe somebody with knowledge could do something about it.

The LG for example feels fine even with 200 ping, the MG too. Rockets feels like they have a slight delay, its very minor though considering the ping.
2011-05-06, 10:31
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
chewz wrote:
I know we have antilag already, but this just feels different. Maybe it can't be done at all, I just thought about how good it was compared to qw, and maybe somebody with knowledge could do something about it.

The LG for example feels fine even with 200 ping, the MG too. Rockets feels like they have a slight delay, its very minor though considering the ping.

As raz0 said: you can only move the lag from on place to the other, never get rid of it. You could delay the whole game 100ms to make it even for everyone with max 100 ping, but not really a solution. Nor is it a good solution in this superfast game to interpolate more stuff, as in not showing actual positions/actions but fake, to make it feel more responsive.
2015-12-16, 22:47
1 post

Dec 2015
To answer (lately) about this antilag question: OA implements insta-antilag (called "hitscan unlag", in other words all instant weapons are totally unlaggued. The code was directly from the old "delag mod", which sourcecode was totally released publicly with documentation.

A more advanced antilag technology, working on projectile weapons (eg, rockets, grenades, etc.) is implemented in Excessive Plus mod (called "full delag technology". I have never seen another such an advanced antilag in any other game. It's not perfect of course, but I think this delag technology (hitscan + projectiles delag) should be standard in all games nowadays, and it's a shame they aren't.

Disclaimer: I'm a third party dev who partially participated in both projects.
  6 posts on 1 page  1