User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Strategies & Tactics
2011-03-18, 19:20
1435 posts

Jan 2006
This is a poll, click here if you can't vote on this page.

Have you ever experienced that when you actually try to watch your own LG stats evolve during the match, you try much harder to aim better with LG? Personally I had that feeling a couple of times.

The Economist published a short review of a book called Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played And Games Are Won where it is discussed and backed by statistics how players react in certain situations. Trying to achieve good LG when you know about your actual LG stats might be similar to the examples they present:
Quote:
Evidence from a huge database of near-identical putts shows that, along with all the other golfers studied, Tiger Woods is more likely to hole a putt if it is to save par (in golf, an over-par hole feels like a failure) than if he had the identical putt to make a birdie (a gain). The authors argue that this is because he tries harder to avoid the loss than he does to make the gain.

There's another example with baseball players also mentioned in the article. Both examples are a bit different from the LG situation I describe here, but still, some similarity might be there.

So what do you think?
2011-03-18, 20:33
212 posts

Apr 2006
I never checked my LG stats (LG is probably my least favourite weapon anyway), but I can second that article. When I played NHL 99, 00 etc and also NBA Live I always tried to have a player to lead in stats. In NHL my main focus was my goalie to hold the record for shutouts (concede no goal in a game) and in NBA it was points, rebounds and blocks.
2011-03-18, 22:07
1329 posts

Apr 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Have you ever experienced that when you actually try to watch your own LG stats evolve during the match, you try much harder to aim better with LG? Personally I had that feeling a couple of times.

Nope. Only thing that increases by doing this is:

1) +wp_stats
2) more selective shooting (= saving for the lg%)
3) compulsion to improve the part above (= go back to 1)

LG% means shit, the amount of damage you do with your LG does. Certain players have told me how "great" their LG hit in some round, but checking that claim from a demo just shows what I explained above.

Sometimes when I feel I hit shitty, I do actually check +wp_stats. If it tells me what I've been feeling, I just change the way how I play. In my case it means stop bunnying and start walking while being ready to aim/shoot, as it's much easier to hit when only strafing than when bunnying.
Servers: Troopers
2011-03-18, 22:46
459 posts

Mar 2008
If you adjust your game to get high % lg, you probably will get higher % lg at the cost of playing efficient. If you focus on playing efficient, it will probably affect your lg % in a bad way, but give you better damage given / damage taken ratio. (talking pov here mostly). So yeah, you can increase your lg % by focusing on that, but it won't make your aim better.

It's a lot of psychology involved, so a bit hard to tell. I voted "Definitely no" anyway.
2011-03-18, 22:56
1435 posts

Jan 2006
This might be related: http://qw-dev.net/issues/350
2011-03-18, 23:22
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
What about talent and luck?
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/13/epic_trollface.jpg
Chosen
2011-03-19, 11:48
226 posts

Mar 2007
I've been watching my SG% lately. It's miserable. But then I startet to think that I'm an OLDSCHOOL player and I still have the feeling in back of my head that SG does absolutely nothing and it's pretty much impossible to hit with it, as it was 10 years ago.

Everybody who's been doing sports or whatever knows that there's a big difference in focused training and unfocused training. If you're not trying to hit with LG/SG you shoot the walls and keep doing that for the rest of your life. I'd say it's better aimwise that you're trying to hit with every cell/pellet with the cost of not shooting that much and just increasing the amount of cells/pellets per minute as you gain aim/skill.
2011-03-19, 15:11
150 posts

Nov 2006
It can help in a way.

If you use scr_weaponstats_order "%8" and keep it below and close to crosshair, when you see &LG going up you know you are doing the correct movement, being with mouse, keyboard and/or both.

I noticed this using the lgc3 bot.

In games not sure if it could be a distraction, but its good for training.

Same happens when i try ztricks and ztricks2, when i have speed visible, i know when the 1st jump is well executed, this helped me alot to understand how to turn mouse and now i can do them easily.
2011-03-19, 22:49
26 posts

Mar 2006
I am sure it can help you, but so can everything else. Anything that motivates you to perform your best and not give up is good
2011-03-24, 06:11
3 posts

Mar 2011
Yes i have experienced it many time while playing match . I have checked my Lg blocks several times .
  10 posts on 1 page  1