User panel stuff on forum
  22 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2010-05-30, 13:48
Member
110 posts

Registered:
Mar 2010
if you bore/drop a pack of rl that has less than 5 rockets, the person who picks it up gets 5 rockets no matter if it was 1-2-3-4 left when you died.

only tested it on qw.fi so far but gonna check the other servers.

if you got more than 5, like 40... you get 40 and not 5.
2010-05-30, 14:13
Member
705 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
hm so lets say you have 2 rockets left, you pickup a pack with "any number of rockets from 1-5" you get 7 after you picked it up?
2010-05-30, 14:17
Moderator
1328 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
No. This has always been in KTX like it is now, for all weapons.

If you have less ammo than you have when picking up a weapon, and you drop that weapon when dying, the pack will give you as many ammo as you would get when picking up a weapon for the first time, but no more.
Servers: Troopers
2010-05-30, 14:19
Member
705 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
right as i suspected, good to have a lookout ofc thou nelag :>
2010-05-30, 14:24
Moderator
1328 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Just to make sure you can't "accuse" us of something, launch your client, type /map dm2 (local server), bore rl to a wall with last rocket and go pick up your pack and see what happens.

Oh and maybe test different dmm modes too, so make sure you won't drop rl packs with ammo on dmm1 on such situations?
Servers: Troopers
2010-05-30, 14:33
Member
110 posts

Registered:
Mar 2010
feels like you've picked up alot of packs with less than 5 rockets in it. feels new to me.
2010-05-30, 14:34
Member
110 posts

Registered:
Mar 2010
it might be a dmm3 thing, gonna do some tests
2010-05-30, 14:40
Member
110 posts

Registered:
Mar 2010
yep it's a dmm3 thing.

in dmm1 you get whatever ammo was in that pack. delete this piece of shit thread!
2010-05-30, 19:32
Administrator
2021 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
This was new information to me, so I definitely see no reason to delete it.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2010-05-31, 04:22
Member
252 posts

Registered:
Dec 2006
I wish people would stop arbitrarily and unilaterally molesting qw, this is a stupid modification imo, those players who 'pack light' on ammo should be rewarded by not handing over ammo, why should this be different in duel?
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2010-05-31, 05:59
Member
380 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Runamok.foe wrote:
I wish people would stop arbitrarily and unilaterally molesting qw, this is a stupid modification imo, those players who 'pack light' on ammo should be rewarded by not handing over ammo, why should this be different in duel?

Then perhaps you should contact John Carmack about this "arbitrary and unilateral molestation" that his company implemented in 1996. This is the way it has always been.
2010-05-31, 09:49
Member
1433 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
This is a nice example of the general thinking in the community. It's not important what would be more logical approach, important is "how it always was" and for that arguments why it's good are created. But the only real and honest argument is "it was always like that". Which of course is a valid argument. But the theories that some people are able to create why certain approach was chosen by Id in 1996 are sometimes just hilarious.
2010-05-31, 12:10
Member
569 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
This is a nice example of the general thinking in the community. It's not important what would be more logical approach, important is "how it always was" and for that arguments why it's good are created. But the only real and honest argument is "it was always like that". Which of course is a valid argument. But the theories that some people are able to create why certain approach was chosen by Id in 1996 are sometimes just hilarious.

Hilarious maybe, but you are looking at it from a SW-devs pov, while others are just playing the game.

For example a gamer might think coding the Q4-engine is more complex task then keeping backwards comp ability between xp and vista.
2010-06-01, 11:31
Administrator
829 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
I had no idea about this. Interesting!
IRC went Discord -> join the chats @ discord.quake.world
2010-06-01, 19:40
Member
284 posts

Registered:
Oct 2006
Haha, wtf, feel like such a noob, after almost 14 years of qw I guess I just never really paid attention to pack ammo in dmm3, but at first when I read the topic I actually thought for a second that I'd have given up so many rl's with 0rox in 4on4 as a purposeful risk decision and ended up giving away 5 rox as well

But then I thought about all the times I'd received a very low cell pack on dm4 quads and actually tested this, it doesn't work for lg, but works for gl, so maybe it works for only 'rocket' weapons. (localhost and quakeworld.fi large) Didn't really have enough interest in testing shell and nail weapons.

I definitely think that this should work the same way in all dmm3's and the model would be dmm1. But I also have a lot of other whishes for defaults, like getting rid of that spawn roulette in dm3 when you get rl but get telefragged right away and noone gets it Or that you get telefrag someone at ya and don't make it to pent first :E

Btw. why does kill give -2, how long has this been like this? Is this to try to discourage packhunting with kill? I really use kill so rarely that I can readily admit that I might have not noticed for a long time. Just came up today.
2010-06-01, 19:51
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
This thread may lit some additional light/flame on the topic. I think QW slogan should be "through hardship to the stars".
<3
2010-06-01, 20:49
Member
405 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
niomic wrote:
I definitely think that this should work the same way in all dmm3's and the model would be dmm1. But I also have a lot of other whishes for defaults, like getting rid of that spawn roulette in dm3 when you get rl but get telefragged right away and noone gets it Or that you get telefrag someone at ya and don't make it to pent first :E

Such malicious thinking is not allowed by orthodoxous QW community. You either understand that Carmack did quake in one year (or two?) in the rush of deadline and every bit every bug every retardness and every stupidity is "Holy Sepulchre", can't touch this nor thinking about change it and if you can't understand it then you simply heretic and “Die, die, die into the fire of hell”.

Hope you got the point and .. irony.
<3
2010-06-01, 22:07
Administrator
2021 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
qqshka wrote:
niomic wrote:
I definitely think that this should work the same way in all dmm3's and the model would be dmm1. But I also have a lot of other whishes for defaults, like getting rid of that spawn roulette in dm3 when you get rl but get telefragged right away and noone gets it Or that you get telefrag someone at ya and don't make it to pent first :E

Such malicious thinking is not allowed by orthodoxous QW community. You either understand that Carmack did quake in one year (or two?) in the rush of deadline and every bit every bug every retardness and every stupidity is "Holy Sepulchre", can't touch this nor thinking about change it and if you can't understand it then you simply heretic and “Die, die, die into the fire of hell”.

Hope you got the point and .. irony.

What's even more scary is that it's like this in real life aswell, but with religion - which even gets people killed! In our case it leads to a few entertaining forum threads at most, and perhaps a handful of really annoyed people.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2010-06-02, 06:20
Member
485 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
niomic wrote:
Btw. why does kill give -2, how long has this been like this? Is this to try to discourage packhunting with kill? I really use kill so rarely that I can readily admit that I might have not noticed for a long time. Just came up today.

Kill doesn't leave a pack, so it can be used to remove ammo from game. For example on e1m2 grab gl/rox and kill before enemy rl guy can pick them up.

I suppose this command was meant for when you get stuck on a map due to a bug or something.
2010-06-02, 06:40
Member
569 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
qqshka wrote:
Such malicious thinking is not allowed by orthodoxous QW community. You either understand that Carmack did quake in one year (or two?) in the rush of deadline and every bit every bug every retardness and every stupidity is "Holy Sepulchre", can't touch this nor thinking about change it and if you can't understand it then you simply heretic and “Die, die, die into the fire of hell”.

Hope you got the point and .. irony.

Some of us, like me, think it good that qw-devs improve the game and remove unwanted behavior from qw. But what is unwanted and what is not should be up to the consensus (not just majority) of the community (not just the dev-team). Sure this makes the dev-process slower, but atleast you don't end up with a lot of different mods and rule sets. Keeping the community together is more important than any single feature.
2010-06-24, 07:42
Member
252 posts

Registered:
Dec 2006
Stev wrote:
Runamok.foe wrote:
I wish people would stop arbitrarily and unilaterally molesting qw, this is a stupid modification imo, those players who 'pack light' on ammo should be rewarded by not handing over ammo, why should this be different in duel?

Then perhaps you should contact John Carmack about this "arbitrary and unilateral molestation" that his company implemented in 1996. This is the way it has always been.

No i've witnessed many a demo of reload vs people on especially dm2 where they manage to frag reload and are suprised that there is only like one rocket in his pack, whereas they have about fifty
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2010-06-24, 15:16
Member
380 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Runamok.foe wrote:
No i've witnessed many a demo of reload vs people on especially dm2 where they manage to frag reload and are suprised that there is only like one rocket in his pack, whereas they have about fifty

That does not contradict what Renzo said. You get up to 5 rockets if you have less than 5 rockets when you pick up a dropped RL pack (It has to be a pack dropped when the opponent had RL out). If someone has more than 5 rockets, they only get the true amount of rockets when picking up the pack, regardless of whether RL was out.

It's a weird mechanic, but it has been there since the dawn of time.
  22 posts on 1 page  1