User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Advanced Configuration
2010-05-29, 13:41
9 posts

Apr 2006
greetings my European friends. I've been lurking here for a very long time, and it makes me so pleased to see so many people playing qw passionately, even if you are all on the other side of the ocean from me. At any rate, I haven't been able to play qw at all since college, but now I've got some freetime around work and I'm trying to get qw running on my laptop! its a few years old (and it kills me to think of playing qw without a CRT, especially on this 60hz laptop screen I've fallen out of touch with all my old clanmates so you guys are the only people I know to ask for help!

The laptop runs a GeForce Go6150 (yes, i know it sucks - but it was a free laptop!) with native 1280x800 @60hz resolution. I've been away from qw long enough to be worthless trying to edit my config myself, so any help would be appreciated!

where would be a good place for me to upload my config for everyone to see?

thank you again,
cheers!
salutations,

ruiner :-)
2010-05-29, 13:47
705 posts

Feb 2006
you stated no problems, and ask us to "fix" your config?
2010-05-29, 13:55
357 posts

Nov 2008
Hi, with this --> http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Smooth_Quake and your personal visual/custom settings must be enought playable. Don't expect us to make a cfg for you or something, try yourself and ask specific problems only, but ask when you're sick of looking everywhere else for help and you don't seem to find out what's wrong. I don't wanna be rude but you can't just say: Hey guys make me a cfg, or get this cfg and make it playable. Because, 1st: Every person likes different settings and because; 2nd: Everyone can learn to make cfg's, so if we did, you can learn.

Welcome back and have lots of fun.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2010-05-29, 14:37
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
He wants a smooth config for his laptop, what's the problem?

As for uploading the config you have two decent options;
a) Upload it to your profile here on QuakeWorld.nu, should be possible if you go to "Configs" in your profile and choose "Add config"
b) Paste the content of your config into a post in this thread, then people can copy/paste it into a cfg file they make themselves

Cheers!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2010-05-29, 15:00
705 posts

Feb 2006
the problem is that he isn't saying it is unsmooth
2010-05-29, 18:09
9 posts

Apr 2006
sorry if I wasn't clear, but yes I didn't have any quote "problems" i just want to optimize before I try playing and I wanted a place to upload my config so whoever was giving me advice would see what I'm working with. I'll upload my config to my profile right after posting this! Thanks!

edit: well I didn't see where I could upload my config in my account settings, but I just zapped it up to megaupload.com (its the only place i knew off of hand, I'm sorry if this isn't ideal for this ) however, I uploaded my current config.cfg to http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ON1KZY80 and the only old config of mine I could find (that i started to edit, then realized i was in over my head after so long away from qw) that is ruiner.cfg and that is at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EBCTQIEY .

the ruiner.cfg is an old fquake config, i don't know if thats a problem. I currently have nquake installed. I'm more than willing to install whichever version of qw you guys suggest, I just want to be able to play again! Thanks again for your help and patience!

also, thank you for the link! it has been most helpful, if i have questions I'll ask them here!

and yes, I'm sorry I wasn't clear because I certainly don't want to ask someone to just make a cfg for me, I just wanted to see if there were any glaring errors I need to fix right away.
salutations,

2010-05-29, 19:13
9 posts

Apr 2006
Well, after playing with it for a couple hours I've got it running at a stable 77fps. The only issue that seems to pop up is when I first startup qw i'm getting extremely sporadic jumps/drops in fps and then it starts to stabilize after a few minutes, but my movement seems... "heavy" as i've heard it described before, my jumps seem short and movement slow, then a minute or so later it seems to work itself out. That's only a minor inconvenience so if I can't fix it, I don't mind dealing with it for a minute or two while it starts up. All i can say is it felt damn good to be hopping my way around aerowalk again !!! Thanks for the links and advice - now I'm off to search for some north american qw servers
salutations,

7 posts on 1 page  1