User panel stuff on forum
  5 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2010-03-09, 16:32
20 posts

Mar 2010
After a few years away from qw I installed it the other night and fired the old girl up. Within ten minutes I was addicted again and wondered why I spent any time playing Quake Live.

In the last two years there seems to be quite a decline of players from when I last remembered. XS4ALL ffa server always had a good number of people in it. Not so much anymore (this may be to do with the server going down in the past for awhile). And of course this is the main ffa server in Quakeworld. I always remembered at least a few tdm games going on somewhere but not so much anymore. Maybe its just me thinking there was more than now since its only been about two years.

Just feels like QW needs a fresh injection of something new, not necessarily to bring new players to QW but to give the regulars something different, something to get excited about. So I had two ideas of a new league/ladder and wanted to see what people thought.

4vs4vs4vs4

In the UK, back in 1998 we had an awesome league called the QFFL. Quake Frag Fest League had a bit more of a fun element to it, and got to use the big maps of Quakeworld. Most UK Quakers would agree this was their favorite league to play in. The league ran for a good few years and I think changed name and slowly died off with the UK scene.

Four teams of Four played weekly games on pre picked big maps - the team with the highest frag count won. Games where either 20 mins or 30 mins I forget, DMM1. Maps like death32c, titan2 where commonly played along with QFFL's own brand of maps QFFLDM2-6. Some stunning maps indeed! - one thing that would be needed is a kteams or server which would allow multiple teams.

CTF

One thing I regret not ever properly playing is Quakeworlds CTF. I've played it a few times in recent years but I mean back in the day. I feel I've missed out and would still like the chance to play, so why not a ctf league?. I get the feeling most people would rather play CTF without the hook, if they were to play at all. Any CTF vet will surely call me a noob for saying that but if there are any great ctf'ers the advantage over people who don't really play will be so huge it would ruin the game. I'd be happy playing with either, I'd be happy just to play, but what are peoples thoughts?

It would be just so nice that if a new league comes about, weather its QFFL, CTF or anything else we think of - that all clans signed up for EQL would automatically join the new one. In my mind there's no reason why they wouldn't, keeping the scene alive, playing something new and having fun. I know most people wont of even bothered with CTF here's your time to try!
2010-03-09, 16:41
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
Ahh I remember the QFFL, fun times indeed! It'd be a darn sight more playable these days than it was on a P133 16mb machine. Could actually have some proper tactics on titan2, death32c etc - imagine the different clans dominating particular areas, picking the right time to launch a coordinated attack on another clan's turf - like a rioting gang on the loose, charging down the corridors, eliminating all who stand in their path until coming face to face with their biggest rivals on the map...
2010-03-09, 17:04
693 posts

Jan 2006
QFFL (4v4v4v4) was awesome, and the UKPL (5 teams of 3) was also fantastic. UKPL was definitely DMM3, had dropquad etc, and was always absolute carnage. It was a fun way to play something different because there was always new maps each season.

I agree about CTF. QWCTF is a great concept, ruined by the grappling hook and the runes. I'd love to try playing "DM with flags", as it were.
2010-03-09, 18:54
20 posts

Mar 2010
Yeah that was it, UKPL. Five teams of three. A league of something like that would be great - but how do you enable multiple teams? I forgot what they used back then.
2010-03-14, 21:36
20 posts

Mar 2010
I've been searching around for server tools like kteams which can allow multiple teams. Do any of you remember what was used for UKPL or QFFL. Or is there a variation of kteams floating about somewhere which allows this?
  5 posts on 1 page  1