User panel stuff on forum
  11 posts on 1 page  1
Strategies & Tactics
2010-02-25, 10:36
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
Hey, noticed there hasn't been a tactics/strategy topic for about half a year, so...

When is it a good time to camp in the E1M2 RL room? I used to think camping here for longer than a few seconds wasn't worth it because you could be making more use of your RL elsewhere on the map where it matters, and you're giving the nme more time & space to get kitted up around YA/Quad.

However, I watched Milton's pov in the SS v Fusion E1M2 match recently ( http://challenge-tv.com/demos/download/37160 ) and he spends a couple of minutes camping RL. Anyone know why?

I'd hazard a guess at something like; he knew there were barely any RLs on the map, so wanted to make sure SS were 2-0 in RLs before mounting an attack on YA/Quad... but I haven't replayed the mvd to check other POVs to see if that's the case.
2010-02-25, 10:55
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
I think your guess is correct
Chosen
2010-02-25, 11:50
569 posts

Feb 2006
I think tactics involving denying weapons on e1m2 and dm3 worked better when pings were high, screen refreshrates low and sg accuracy was a lot worse. I remember playing hpw-dm3 by just timing gl-lg-rl, but never firing the weapons.

On topic: i think camping e1m2-RL-area might be good when team-mates has 1-2 RLs and enemy none. There is just about enough HP on the map to supply 2 stacked players. So the objective when your team got 2-0 RLs is to sg-cess at GL , deny RL and maybe harass the guy that picks up green armor. Attempting to escape with RL is usually what costs the map (if you get to YA all HP is gone and you drop the pack).
2010-02-25, 13:27
370 posts

May 2006
Depending on the spawns, but I would camp RL from the start!
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2010-02-25, 14:12
80 posts

Jan 2006
Didn't watch his pov in particular but from what I remember, he was his teams only weapon and we had map control and chased him in the moment before that. He retreated to rl with low on ammo and stayed there for a minute until things clear up, and if you notice in his teams game they rely a lot on him to keep control and turn things around, as much as he knows when to play it safe and when not to. so in this particular situation it's better for him to hide until it's safe around crossing/mega-room.

But in some cases it can be good to camp rl for a while until it would spawn. This to keep track on the timing of it and to get more control with more weapons. But in this case I don't think it was his intention to safe it for his mates.
2010-02-25, 16:41
462 posts

Jan 2006
When enemies don't have rls, you can camp rl and try to give it to your mates. Important here is not to leave packs, because then the whole effort is wasted.
2010-02-25, 17:01
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
Cheers guys - going to watch the demo again and check out the teammates and nmes weapons / control / quad timing etc, and see why he chose the time he did to move out from RL in the end (maybe figuring stuff out from mm2...). I remember him and a teammate both exited with RLs...
2010-02-25, 17:25
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
i am fan of rl camping in this map.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2010-02-25, 19:32
485 posts

Feb 2006
Willgurht wrote:
I think tactics involving denying weapons on e1m2 and dm3 worked better when pings were high, screen refreshrates low and sg accuracy was a lot worse. I remember playing hpw-dm3 by just timing gl-lg-rl, but never firing the weapons.

Skill with rl also matters a lot. When Chosen was starting out in lowdivs, it worked very well to almost ignore rl and just flood YA/quad. Players simply weren't good enough to make big streaks with rl. They would bore pretty often too, bringing the rls to us.
2010-02-25, 23:01
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
When the other team has no rls I think it is a viable tactic, as mentioned by blAze however it's important that nobody drops packs!

The key thing is about the structure of the room and the game mechanics on that map. Barring a grenade assault from the exit tunnel, you are fairly safe in that enemies can only approach from the two water ramps. Often you can hear them in the water and you can stand with a height advantage observing both of them (meaning guarenteed RL splash damage at minimum). Add this to the fact that armour is limited on e1m2 and you are in quite a strong position (50h there also).

It's virtually impossible to actually take any kind of serious damage unless people actually enter the room. This is in contrast to dm3 (bridge area is open so easy to get cessed, plus danger from lg/gl/discharge, many megas and more armour than e1m2), and on dm2 ofc there is 2 rls and plentiful armour.

Of course it is a mental challenge too in terms of knowing whether to stay or go. It takes nerves of steel to stay put when you know enemy is mounting at quad, I think players like Milton probably base their decisions on item timings relative to each other.
2010-03-21, 02:49
48 posts

Sep 2007
Not a good idea to stand there for too long. You have a minimal space that is "safe" and if someone would actually throw in a grenade there from cross you are fucked. Also someone might jump from cross down to water, jumping again just before water and flying far enough to shot you once in the back with sg or something else..
One can also approach rl from start without making sounds simply by going into water at the right place..
For the camping rl tactic to work you have to be a good rl shot and the enemies cant be any good at sg or come more then one player within a short period of time.
If you have green/yellow armor and atleast 100hp then sure, stay a while.. but don't get too comfy..

It was a great tactic the first few years of quake since sg was awful. Aaaah those days =)
Also it was a reason for people disliking the map.. hehe
  11 posts on 1 page  1