User panel stuff on forum
  4 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2009-09-25, 16:15
14 posts

Sep 2009
Hi there,

here's the alpha of Ultima ratio, my first try to create a serious 1vs1 map for Quake 1. I gotta admit I'm not much of a q1 player but I recently rediscovered the game and thought it would be fun to make a map for it.

I know you guys here are hardcore q1 players so I'd like to ask for your opinion on it. Constructive criticism is very welcome and some guys over at quakeone.com suggested to post the map here to get exactly that. Since the map is in an early stage of development I'm open to change things.

Enough talk for now, a screenshot never hurts:

http://maps.sp1r1t.org/quake1/spirit1dm2/screenshots/spirit1dm2-shot01.jpg

Lighting is a placeholder, same applies to textures. I want to get the gameplay done first.

Direct download link: get spirit1dm2 alpha2
More screenies, info and readme: spirit1dm2 info

I already played the map against a friend (3 hours non-stop) and it's not complete BS imo. Maybe it's a bit too small or it needs a bit more cover. I'm also not 100% happy with the MH/RL area. Maybe somebody in here has a suggestion on that?

Thanks for your time!
dfsp*spirit
My FPS maps
2009-09-26, 16:38
370 posts

Mar 2008
Hey great map. I think you should swap places with the MH and the RL.

Other than that it's really nice. It would be great for a 1on1 match for sure.
2009-09-27, 13:19
14 posts

Sep 2009
Thanks for trying the map and that simple but great suggestion! It solves the problem that LG and RL are pretty close (via that ramp jump) and makes it harder to get the RL. I'll definitely do that for the next version.
dfsp*spirit
My FPS maps
2009-11-12, 18:13
14 posts

Sep 2009
Ok, I worked a bit on this one during the last days and quite a few things have changed since I last posted an update here. Here's beta4 of spirit1dm2.

EDIT: upadated to beta5

A lot of work went into the MH area. I switched MH and RL as Darin suggested and blocked the very fast access to MH from RL with the bars you can see in the screenie below:

http://maps.sp1r1t.org/quake1/spirit1dm2/beta/screenshots/spirit1dm2-shot05.jpg

You can slide those bars into the wall with a button at GL, creating a second route to RL via the GL tele. I had to move the tele exit a bit for this to work.

A jumppad now reveals your position (via the sound) on the other route to RL, making that spot more dangerous.

I hope you like the changes, I think they really improve gameplay.

Direct download link (unzip to your quake folder preserving paths): get spirit1dm2 beta5.zip
More screenies, info and readme: spirit1dm2 info

Looking forward to hear some opinions.
dfsp*spirit
My FPS maps
  4 posts on 1 page  1