User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Strategies & Tactics
2009-06-26, 13:03
357 posts

Nov 2008
Im going to post here some questions i have about tactics/strategies, hope someone can help me:

-In some 4on4 games sometimes i cant just pick up a weapon, i just die and die and die, if i finally get the weapon position, my armored teammates just come and pick up the rl/lg. If i get armor first i got killed by enemi`s rl/lg/quad. Thats really annoying since i dont know what to do, i just respwn for run around and die...

-In dm4, when i have mapcontrol, and for example i have low armor, i doubt betwen go and get ra, so the enemy can pick lg and a higher position (prolly camping armors) os try to spawn fragging him until i die.

-Same but in ztndm3 staying at middle, should i go to ra quickly, or spwnfrag until enemy get a good move and stole my ra?(or kill me)

-How to kill someone camping at ya-tele so he can`t scape for armors/lg? (edit DM4)

-How to kill someone camping at mega with ra-rl-ammo and more frags? (edit DM4)

-Need dm2 duel/2on2 guide, i know is all about controlling tele+low-rl but its not so ez.

-I see many people in aero, when they are controlling the map just sit at mega, and try to kill me.But when i try it, i dead easily and lose all map control. So what?

Thats all at the moment, hope your answers, thanks in advice!
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-06-26, 13:38
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
time! wrote:
Im going to post here some questions i have about tactics/strategies, hope someone can help me:

-In some 4on4 games sometimes i cant just pick up a weapon, i just die and die and die, if i finally get the weapon position, my armored teammates just come and pick up the rl/lg. If i get armor first i got killed by enemi`s rl/lg/quad. Thats really annoying since i dont know what to do, i just respwn for run around and die...

Make sure you know exactly at what second the rocket launcher is spawning. Before you go there you make sure to stack up with armor and either LG, SSG or SNG to kill of spawning boomstick enemies that may also want the rocket launcher. If you think you always get killed by Quad, then go for the RL instead of the Quad when its spawning, and once you got the RL: DON'T DIE. 4on4 is much about getting as many RL's within the team as possible until you're ready to compete for the Quad if your team is below.

time! wrote:
-In dm4, when i have mapcontrol, and for example i have low armor, i doubt betwen go and get ra, so the enemy can pick lg and a higher position (prolly camping armors) os try to spawn fragging him until i die.

I'm no DM4 player, but that map is usually a lot about keeping the position in the center room, keeping the enemy pinned down with LG/GL/RL spam. The only time when it's semi-safe to go for the RA is if the enemy is in the mega room - then you can spam enough grenades to at least be quick enough back to keep him away from the LG. I have noticed this map requires a lot of patience though when you're down, keep calm and try to get to a weapon without dying too much.

time! wrote:
-Same but in ztndm3 staying at middle, should i go to ra quickly, or spwnfrag until enemy get a good move and stole my ra?(or kill me)

On this map i would try to keep the armours under a lot more control than for example DM4. If you are standing in the middle, spamming all the spawns, then you should probably stay there until the enemy spawns somewhere else - then you go for RA.

time! wrote:
-How to kill someone camping at ya-tele so he can`t scape for armors/lg?

If you're on ZTNDM3, then the YA-tele always will be an easy exit for the enemy i think. You'll have to trap him afterwards and keep control by getting the armours.

time! wrote:
-How to kill someone camping at mega with ra-rl-ammo and more frags?

Spam grenades and hope for the best.

time! wrote:
-Need dm2 duel/2on2 guide, i know is all about controlling tele+low-rl but its not so ez.

I guess i could use this too. :p

time! wrote:
-I see many people in aero, when they are controlling the map just sit at mega, and try to kill me.But when i try it, i dead easily and lose all map control. So what?

It's because you don't have 50% LG and spam enough rockets.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-06-26, 16:29
122 posts

Jan 2007
time! wrote:

I'm not a 4on4 player but I know why I die there the same way as you are -- lack of concentration. When you've got RL/armor you have to be really careful to survive and get other items. No rushing, no jumping around, no fun. If you see enemy and you have RL shoot a rocket or two at him, if he survives -- no luck, he has more armor then you are; run away. You see -- if you get too distracted, you'll die.

time! wrote:

dm4 map is all about spawnrape. Only high skill players can attack from unusual places without ben killed. So you'd better stay at the good spots and spam. Or if you think that your opponent impatient you may try to camp long time at RA/MH/far-teles and punish him for trying to attack. Though this map requires lots of practice and a little bit more skilled player usually wins no matter what.

time! wrote:

I'll explaine you Russian way to play the map.

1. If in control. Get RA/MH and run around killing, spamming and spawn raping. You have to force your opponent to forget about winning the map, destroy him by spawn rape. Then get YA (even you you have to shoot yourself to lower RA amount) if you're sure that your enemy will let you return to RA. If not sure that you'll get a kill, retreat.. Return to RA, spam until RA appears. If your skill is not very high you may try to run silently around fully stacked -- your opponent will be surprised. If not sure that you'll get a kill, retreat.

2. If not in control. Hide and counter attack. Predict your enemy and spam-block his way to RA. Attack more then defend -- you need the RA/MH control. But don't die foolishly

You have to practice a lot to find right spots to attack, spam and counterattack. Make as little noise as possible!

time! wrote:
-How to kill someone camping at ya-tele so he can`t scape for armors/lg? (edit DM4)

Spam granedes. And kill advancing enemy with shaft. Be more patient then he is.

time! wrote:

Spam. If your LG aim is really good, you may try to kill enemy at MH, then rocket jump to LG to not let him take it.

time! wrote:

This map is about camping your ass off. Good spots to camp: RA/MH, above nailgun, tele/YA. Forget about high MH -- it's too dangerous to get it without high skill. If in doubt -- run and wait again.

time! wrote:

Sitting at MH is only reasonable with a LG superiority and enemy been not careful (i.e. loud). On Aero you have to predict your enemy; always know where he is and don't let him know where you are -- read Inertia strategy guide.
--
"Dag eats little Reloads for breakfast." (c) :-)
2009-06-27, 09:06
312 posts

Feb 2006
"[about dm2] This map is about camping your ass off."

Now this is a shitty advice for a tacic. You should create your own tactic, be it aggressive or defensive. Watch some high-profile demos with partners like gamer&goljat or space&dag and analyze why is this guy doing what he is doing. Its much more important trying to understand the motives of each action than watching a nice quad runner with 34 kills. And if you improve your mental assets of the game by learning something from the good players, you might be ready for your own gaming. And also learning whether or not you enjoy attacking or defensive gaming in this particular map
2009-06-28, 10:46
459 posts

Mar 2008
time! wrote:

The best thing here is probably damaging the enemy as much as possible, and the run off to RA. 3 cell hit means the enemy got 10 health left and you only need one more hit with lg to take him down or a sloppy rocket hit. This makes it alot more easier to survive when going out RA tele even against bad ass shafters. It also prevent the enemy from getting RA if he spawns there afterwards since you have time to flush him out.

time! wrote:

If youre in the lead, just stay and wait for him. If hes in the lead and spawned there, you can try and drain his rockets. Usually they just got 5 rockets then, and one RL jump up is one rocket less. By taking the cells to the YA entrance, you can almost be sure that the enemy will throw another rocket or two at you as well. The hard part is preventing him from getting out of RA tele unhurt when you make your move to attack. The regular tactic is spamming grenades towards RA exit and then quickly as possible attack and flush him out or kill him. You can actually stand at YA entrance and spam grenades towards RA exit if you use the wall next to LG. Another method is faking a rush towards YA/RA either by jumping towards it and change direction in the last second, or faking a rocketjump from the GL area. Usually this wont work against experienced players.

time! wrote:

A common tactic in competetive DM4 play. If he dont got LG you should be quite confident that he will go down. By far the best tactic to reach him is to gather alot of speed from the top platforms, drop down as close to the entrance as possible and shaft for your life. Ofc even if you win the battle at the mega, you're in a quite weak position yourself and the enemy can quite easily get LG / RA unless you're lucky. But hey, thats why its such a great tactic! If he got LG, it can be quite more complicated, depending on how many frags hes in lead with and how much time left there is. Make sure to wait out almost all of his mega health (some players also wait to take mega until the enemy pops up at the mega entrance). The general tactic is the same though, get in there with alot of speed and shaft for your life. You might now wanna retreat after youve done some damage to pick up RA again and higher your odds for winning the fight. If you're short on time this is not an option. Also make sure to keep your enemy in there with grenade and rocket spam. Loaden up on health and RA and attack again. This time around you SHOULD frag him.

time! wrote:

Duel: Can only give some tips about the start. If you start in the low-rl area, and your enemy is not, get ra & mega and go out to big quite fast. Abit depending on you and your enemy spawn points, hes probably just got into the tele or have just taken the high-rl unless he spawned one of the two tele spawns. If you feel confident, RL-jump up to the mega at GL while spaming the entrances to big. Get away from there asap, and start hunting. Don't get too excited though, theres no shame in running even if you had 150 more health than him . If you spawn one of the two tele spawns, grab YA and jump over to GL to take mega before heading for RL. This way you wont be traped at GL later if you had gone for the mega after taking RL first. Your next mission is to get a red armor. Either try to sneak for the secret RA, or go for the ra-mega area. After this its not much point discussing tactics. Be silent, dont fool around and always be on your guard. Try and trick the enemy, and remember that theres no shame in running . If you're in the lead and want to play defensive, RA-mega area is probably the best along with other good spots such as YA-tele and high-RL.
2on2: Load up with armors and mega healths, and help your buddy at quad
2009-06-29, 17:32
357 posts

Nov 2008
Thanks for the tips, really usefull! keep answering. We the newbies need learn from you, the veterans
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-06-29, 21:29
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
time! wrote:

Here's my views, as a semi-dormant player who was never all that good to start with:

Remember that first of all 4on4 is a team game, and that means that paying attention to messages and general game state is very important. When you respawn, going to get weapons/armour should not always be your #1 priority. Try running to help nearby teammates who are fighting (maybe you can grab a pack in the aftermath). Likewise rushing weak enemy positions before they recover can be another good use of your time. Think about how you might be able to cut off an enemy who is low of health from escaping. Think about where there is likely to be action on the map (powerup spawn times) etc.

In cases where you have armour but no weapon then aimlessly rushing to the nearest lg/rl is not always smart when enemy rl/quad is nearby. Sometimes it can help to either be sneaky and try to ambush a weak enemy going for health/armour (remember if you have 150/100, even two direct rocket hits won't kill you), or focus more on attacking the next quad with teammates.

As for ztndm3, you should always aim to control RA (and preferably YA to some extent) IMO. Due to the fabulous connectivity it is possible to chase spawn frags but in general you shouldn't risk giving up RA and Mega (unless you are behind and really need to chase frags obviously). Sometimes it will even be possible to run both RA and YA for short periods if you time it right although try to avoid becoming too predictable.
  7 posts on 1 page  1