User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2009-04-05, 10:23
1329 posts

Apr 2006
So, the initial work is done and there's already a working game mode that can be enabled using /carena, it's loosely based on current RA code but with teams. (quakeworld.fi has a build running if you really want to test it, but really this is like an alpha version)

The question is, how do you players want this KTX Clan Arena to be? I don't know if it's a good idea to mimic 1:1 the existing CACE but we could do things our way. Let's get few things and sum it up.

Team mode: how many players should we allow per team?

Items mode: should there be any items on the field? (armors, mh)

Weapons mode: all weapons available but with limited/unlimited ammo?

Time mode: should there be time limit for a round?

Scoring: how should the score be counted? +1 for team after a round win or add the amount of frags (let's say 3on3, winning team has 2 players left = 3-1 score to the winning team) or somehow else?

Individual player scoring: should we count frags for players or should we count damage so that you can see who makes the most damage (the most work) (remember: we already have detailed ktx statistics for each player).

Etc etc. I personally played clan arena like 7-8 years ago so I don't know what to think about it, that's why you players should tell us what you want and we'll think about it how it might work.

CA rules wrote:
* Items: no items
* Timelimit: yes (tbd)
* Ammo: partially limited?
* Scoring: uses damage frags, so frag=0 but 100 points of damage = 1, each round gives +1 to the winning team
Servers: Troopers
2009-04-05, 10:57
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Renzo wrote:
The question is, how do you players want this KTX Clan Arena to be? I don't know if it's a good idea to mimic 1:1 the existing CACE but we could do things our way.

What about making it customizable?

Renzo wrote:

10 at the most for big 10on10 games on death32c ?

Renzo wrote:

no there shouldn't be

Renzo wrote:

limited for GL and LG?

Renzo wrote:

5 minute limit for a round and 1 min limit when there is only one player left in each team

Renzo wrote:
Scoring: how should the score be counted? +1 for team after a round win or add the amount of frags (let's say 3on3, winning team has 2 players left = 3-1 score to the winning team) or somehow else?

Only add the +1 for the team, the amount of frags a player does is not essential for the round scoring, its just an additional thing for stats junkies

Renzo wrote:
Individual player scoring: should we count frags for players or should we count damage so that you can see who makes the most damage (the most work) (remember: we already have detailed ktx statistics for each player).

this is a hard one no answer, I really dont know, shouldn't it be based by the amount of damage you do on the enemies?
That sounds fair to me!

Dunno what more to bring up
2009-04-05, 13:42
950 posts

Apr 2006
Renzo wrote:

And how many teams?

Renzo wrote:

no

Renzo wrote:

limited grenades, separate from rockets?

Renzo wrote:

yes, definitely, probably some way to make end happen after a while too

Renzo wrote:

I like the idea of +score = number of players left in a team

Renzo wrote:

damage is good imo
2009-04-05, 17:07
42 posts

Apr 2007
Keep the scoring as it is.

1 frag per 100 damage done to enemies + 1 frag per kill, imo that's the best way.

If you just give "frags" to the dude that kills enemies it would ruin the mixed games. Many dudes would just hide in the beginning, letting the teammates do the first work on enemies. Then come out with 200/100 and kill em off one by one and by that grab all the "frags".
http://www.rocketz.se - a quakeworld blog in the 21st century
2009-04-06, 09:18
357 posts

Mar 2006
RocketZ wrote:
Keep the scoring as it is.

1 frag per 100 damage done to enemies + 1 frag per kill, imo that's the best way.

If you just give "frags" to the dude that kills enemies it would ruin the mixed games. Many dudes would just hide in the beginning, letting the teammates do the first work on enemies. Then come out with 200/100 and kill em off one by one and by that grab all the "frags".

initial spawn, player health = 200a + 100h = 300 damage points for 1 kill. Thus 300 points = 1 frag.

I agree with the rest of your statement...

Grenades should cost 2 rockets. Too much gl spam and poor sap wont have any rockets left
2009-04-06, 10:46
950 posts

Apr 2006
Aren't rockets unlimited?
2009-04-06, 15:51
251 posts

Jul 2007
Yes they are deurk, it's just the GL which has limited ammo (in CACE).

Sputnik? RocketZ is right, it's 1 frag for 100 damage done. If you kill an enemy completely alone, you'll get 4 frags (i.e. 3 frags for the 300 damage and 1 frag for the kill). At least that's the way we're used to it on the CA servers.

- Overall I agree with the things said so far. What we need however, is an easy way to vote on maps (just like in KTX) and not that loadmaps stuff in CA(CE).

- Also a "competitive mode", which locks the server, when a game is running, so players cannot join mid-game. The default would be an FFA style, where a player can join whenever he wants it, unless the server is full.

- A better way to choose your team, esp. when you're "late", would also be appreciated. So far this is done via "setinfo oldteam <teamcolour>" or impulse before the rounds start. Both ways suck imo. Choosing your team with a handy alias would be better and you should be able to add yourself to a team which has fewer players in-between rounds in the same way.
2009-04-06, 18:20
357 posts

Mar 2006
I was just making a suggestion.
Unlimited ammo makes for spamfest. Limiting the inventory, and then depleting helps create a strategy. But again in my mod this is an Admin setting.
4 frags for 1 kill, pfft that doesnt coincide with the old frag system. The whole idea of a damage-based scoring structure is so you can be rewarded for the damage you incurred vs some camper taking a final popshot. But hey, it's whatever you're used to.

Here's a brief list of some features in CAx
Quote:
Features:
=========

5 modes of gameplay:
Competition
Practice
Last Man Standing
Airshot
Instagib

Ability to add custom maps for admins via external cfg.

Banning capabilities via cfg files and real-time admin access.

Team Camera Lock (admin command)
Force teams to view ONLY teammates during match in observer modes.

Eyecam
View through the eyes of person you are tracking.

Direct hit counter
Rockets and grenades stats if shots hit directly on opponent.

Damage totals represented in stats
Accumulated stats of inflicted and rendered damages of entire series.

Grenades added to efficiency

Added vote delay on connection. Deters voting yes, and reloging in and cycling yes/relogon.

Added new sounds

Added new maps

Added timeout/timein commands for match pausing

Added quick stats via impulse 23

Extended spawn points for maps with less than eight positions.

The size of the team is displayed on the MOTD(menu), next to the team name ie [1] Blue Team {3} shows theres 3 players on team blue.
so its easy for connecting players to see if the teams are balanced.

----changelog-----updates
x After each round, observers not playing will chasecam the player with the best score, by default.
x afk observers dont get the MAIN CAx MENU spammed at them, saves server bandwidth.
x afk status carries over after map change, though the kick timer is reset unfortunately, but after map change afk players are pretty much observers anyways.
x Rocket EFF is less obscured by rocket jumps now.
x added cfg commands setammoshells, setammonails, setammorockets, setammocells
x made votecc mode config file configurable
x tweaked cc_vote
x reorderd the rotation code, linear.
x fixed the regen_ammo function to match setammo ammounts!
x setcolor, forces a player to join the match in progress.
x unmutall, clears out temp mutes
x unbanall, clears out the temp bans
x spawnnow, places all cc_queued players in current round
x setccvote, cc forced votable
x setcclock, locks match
x added mute handling internally in the mod.
x force MOTD on connection for new players
x SETSPLASHDAMAGE option, (LOW) linear radius ala Quake3, (HIGH) standard Quake1.06 radiusdamage
x Fixed chasemodes in practice
x log ip address for connecting clients
x display when someone becomes an admin/admin-level
x set the amount of players spawnning per round in a cfg file for each map.
x ignored admins for afk
x quick stats "dmg this round" via impulse 23
x 'teams' command, shows who is on what team
x better handling of AFK players.
x Faster lagout response
x added an "afk" command to set oneself afk
x MVP player for round and match.

For me the biggest bitch in the code was keeping the linklist of teams/players valid as lagouts caused all hell.
That and if spawns were limited (ie 5 vs 5, only 3 players spawn at round start, then as teammates die another spawns in) That spawn-list is then rotated after each round so everyone gets a chance to spawn at round start:
Quote:
EXAMPLE: a team of 5 with 3 in, 2 waiting: Player 1 is the captain.
round 1:
1 2 3 [4 5]
round 2:
5 1 2 [3 4]
round 3:
4 5 1 [2 3]
round 4:
3 4 5 [1 2]
round 5:
2 3 4 [5 1]
round 6:
1 2 3 [4 5]
round 7:
5 1 2 [3 4]
round 8:
4 5 1 [2 3]
round 9:
3 4 5 [1 2]

Maybe too much info
2009-04-06, 18:39
251 posts

Jul 2007
SputnikUtah wrote:
I was just making a suggestion.
Unlimited ammo makes for spamfest. Limiting the inventory, and then depleting helps create a strategy. But again in my mod this is an Admin setting.
4 frags for 1 kill, pfft that doesnt coincide with the old frag system. The whole idea of a damage-based scoring structure is so you can be rewarded for the damage you incurred vs some camper taking a final popshot. But hey, it's whatever you're used to.

Ah, I see. I have mistaken you then.

To me it's either fine, wether you get 1 frag for 300 damage or 3 for 300 damage, as long as it's damage based at all. It's all relative in the end.
2009-04-07, 10:32
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Updated the servers mentioned in my signature earlier while I had the chance. People should try it out and if there are bugs or some stuff to change (I'm thinking about having limited ammo (all) instead of dmm4 mode) then it should be mentioned here.

Also you have to realize KTX CA will be "KTX CA" and not "CACE", so there could and will be some differences. It's up to the people and the fact what kind of CA they will to have. Hence the thread originally.

Edit: Interest seems to be quite high, lots of players playing or testing the requested feature. Well, this has only one possible outcome regarding future feature requests, you can all think about what it might be when the participation is this high.
2012-03-19, 08:32
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
Hey, CA has had another surge in popularity - it's a great gamemode for returning or part-time players to get into with no strings attached, just quick RL/LG action.

Still, the mod being played is CACE, but I would like to set up a KTX CA server to give it some proper testing and quick bug reports on the biggest issues so it can quickly catch up to CACE, playability wise. Is there any way with the latest KTX 1.37-dev to make a CA-only KTX server, like you can with CTF?
2012-03-19, 08:39
950 posts

Apr 2006
Yes there is, let me work on it today and I'll set one up (that way I'll tell you the configuration needed).
2012-03-19, 09:05
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
Hurrah! Many thanks.
2014-10-30, 23:34
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Sorry to dig up an old thread, I'm just curious to know what the game breaking differences between KTX Clan arena mod and the used mods (for example in the Fusion league) are?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2014-10-31, 10:12
1329 posts

Apr 2006
clawunf wrote:
Well, ideally it would be great if someone from the KTX team could integrate clan arena into stand alone KTX.

The KTX team/project is pretty much abandoned, there is noone left to do anything. At some point I saw Dimman having done some changes to the KTX, but I have no clue about his activity or interest to do anything for the KTX.
2014-11-16, 22:04
22 posts

May 2012
I updated cace a while back, adding sudden death support to dm2, a2, q3dm6qw, q1edge and q1_q3dm13
The source is here. Shame pro-x doesn't work correctly on mvdsv I've had a nightmare getting fte working on a multi homed server so I've resorted to cace instead.
2014-11-18, 22:25
11 posts

Jul 2014
fro wrote:
I updated cace a while back, adding sudden death support to dm2, a2, q3dm6qw, q1edge and q1_q3dm13
The source is here. Shame pro-x doesn't work correctly on mvdsv I've had a nightmare getting fte working on a multi homed server so I've resorted to cace instead.

Testing this version (CACE+ 1.07) in my server (quakedourados.minivps.info) now.
Thx
2015-02-18, 08:01
357 posts

Mar 2006
sorry to put this here but...

i was looking at the midair code and seen this

if ( streq( inflictor->s.v.classname, "rocket" ))
midheight = targ->s.v.origin[2] - inflictor->s.v.oldorigin[2];

that determines the damage/score for midair.
but logically isnt it how high the player is? that line above only shows the distance from the bottom of the player to the bottom of the rocket! ??

is midair really always instagib on hit??

EDIT hmm nvmd the midheight is just for "player go xxxx midair" msgs and frag bonus. But that look slike a bug to me so the scoring might be fubar.... lol all these years
  18 posts on 1 page  1