2009-03-12, 02:05
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I jump on shift. It's the shit.
2009-03-12, 04:17
33 posts

Aug 2008
in 1999 when I played only Team Fortress I used the movement keys on the arrows and the jump on kp_ins
today I use WASD, Space and Shift for shaft+rl

about rocket jumps, I don't know if I could live without the +jump;+attack on mouse3 anymore
2009-03-12, 10:18
685 posts

Jul 2007
Pepsy wrote:
Hello!

2nd question: I'm using ezQuake and didn't try nQuake. Are the servers the same? And if yes, what is the best client?

thanks!

Both are the same client, ezquake. Nquake is just a package that contains that client + a whole lot more stuff, like maps, bots, textures and it will be installed correctly for you, no hassle.

If you decide to install nquake, don't install it into your existing quake folder. Make a new folder one instead, like "d:\games\nquake" and then copy that "pak1.pak" into the quake/id1 directory. Next, you can copy your custom ezquake config file that you already have in your current ezquake into the new nquake installation (same folder structure) and just import your settings in-game and you're ready to rock with all your new maps, models, textures and play with bots as well.
2009-03-12, 12:20
11 posts

Mar 2009
I installed nQuake, and have to say it improves the graphics, like day and night.

Now I feel comfortable with the config, I just want to Rocket Jump my mouse3, if someone know how to do it, that would be great.

//Rocket Jump
alias +rocketjump "+jump; +duck; wait; +attack"
alias -rocketjump "-jump; -attack; wait; wait; wait; -duck"
bind "MOUSE3" "+rocketjump"

I found this script. Should work. I'll try after work.
2009-03-12, 14:42
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
I don't think that will work, not without a +duck alias anyway.

I don't even know if servers allow this anymore, but you can just bind a button to either kfjump or krjump, depending on what you like.

But really, you should practice it manually instead, noone uses scripts for it anymore - and it doesn't take long to learn.
2009-03-13, 17:17
11 posts

Mar 2009
Just one more question to finalize my config:

When I got Shaft and RL etc, and I'm finished to shaft, I want Rockets as automatic next weapon. And after the Grenades. Now the Boomstick is coming, and I have really no idea how to make my config this way. Is there a way to cascade the weapons?

Thx in advance!
2009-03-13, 18:30
685 posts

Jul 2007
I don't think you really want that. What you want is to have a couple of keys that automatically switch to the best weapon with ammo available. You can define that yourself. For example: shift key for firing Shaft and all other short distance weapons (best weapon will auto-select) and left mouse button for Rocketlauncher (which is usually the nr.1 choice for most situations, besides Shaft) and other suitable weapons. You can have another key for short distance weapons, without the shaft, for when you're in the water. In that script the supernailgun will be selected first if it has ammo (SuperNailGun is best under water) and another similar script bound to the RightMouse button for the Supershotgun, etc.

So basicly the cool thing about qw is that you can have unlimited "bestweapon select + fire"- scripts bound to unlimited keys and the firing will stop once you stop pressing your key. How cool is that? That's why qw players can switch to other weapons so fast, they use these scripts.

http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/?weapon-handling

and

http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Weapon_scripts

There's also interesting topics in the "Advanced Configuration" forumsection.
2009-03-14, 10:24
11 posts

Mar 2009
perfect, I think I got many things with these links. Thank you!
2009-03-15, 11:59
11 posts

Mar 2009
Great, I just need 1 more information,

How can I adjust the config for getting the good keys on my keyboard ? (I mean regional settings, like what is write on the keyboard doesn't match what is displayed )
2009-03-15, 12:08
230 posts

Jan 2006
Check this out: http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/?keymap
Look in "quakedir"/ezquake/keymaps and you'll see which keymaps are present.

Good luck!
2009-03-15, 12:46
1435 posts

Jan 2006
toggle in_builtinkeymap
2009-03-15, 14:03
11 posts

Mar 2009
works fine, cheers!
2009-03-16, 00:06
News Writer
169 posts

Dec 2007
Just want to remind you that rocket jump scripts are banned in leagues and tournaments, at least stuff like kfjump.
2009-03-16, 09:00
11 posts

Mar 2009
Thank you, I did not implement any Rocket Jumps finally. I have many unused buttons on my mouse, I was just wondering how to use them. So I make some alias. I got the system, and have to say this is fantastic.

Now it's time to improve my skills, because my ratio Kills/Deaths isn't balanced in the way I like. But I'm training hard to become a good average's joe qw player =)
2009-03-20, 11:26
11 posts

Mar 2009
hi,
I'm playing on a 16:9 TFT display. Resolution 1024x768 in 75hz works great, but I read that I should adjust the aspect ratio. So I put the command vid_screenaspect 1.777 (thx wiki) . I saved, I lunched the game to see the effects, hard to say if it works. I came back in the config file to check if the line still there, and it wasn't here anymore. I supposed that's not working out so easy with ezquake. Is there another command line to adjust this ratio? thx
2009-03-21, 10:31
312 posts

Feb 2006
I've never heard of screenaspect command but you should modify quake in quake client instead of in notepad. That way you wont typo important stuff and also you'll see the differences immediately. Type cfg_save when youre satisfied with your modding
2009-03-21, 11:27
230 posts

Jan 2006
Hi Pepsy,
If you haven't found and read these already I guess it's what you need:
http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Widescreen_Guide
http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3473
gl
2009-03-21, 11:52
11 posts

Mar 2009
thx for your advices!