User panel stuff on forum
  45 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Quakeworld Kenya Collective
2009-03-08, 22:44
News Writer
169 posts

Dec 2007
Prior to this EQL season there was some whine about it only being TB3, because of that I chatted some with Chad from A2K, who agreed to create a 4on4 CMT with me during the summer. Now I know there is a lot of time until summer but before that we need 5 good maps. Some admins would also be needed, and the knowledge of how many clans are interested in playing in a CMT. As with everything, if there isn't enough interest it might not happen.

As for maps, CMT3 & CMT4 may NOT be submitted as they have been in a lot of leagues/tournaments already. However any old or new maps that aren't played regularly (this means all maps besides TB5) may be submitted. You submit a map by posting its full name + file name (example: Castle of the Damned - E1M2) in this thread along with a link to download it. If the map is part of the original quake, you do not have to include a link for downloading the map. The 5 maps used for the tourney will then be decided first by the admins removing all maps not worthy of being part of a CMT, the rest of the maps will be put up for a vote here on the forums where the five most popular maps will be used.

Admins are also needed, if you want to help out with anything from coverage or making sure rules are followed to developing a website (otherwise tourney.cc will most likely be used if we can't get another one) contact zappater in #segfaulters or Chad in #a2k, or give me a pm here on the forum.

Clans willing to spend some times testing the different maps are also needed. If you test any map please submit your thoughts here on the forum. A separate thread will be created for map feedback most likely.
2009-03-11, 19:33
48 posts

Sep 2007
All maps included in quake should also be included in leagues/tournaments.
meaning all e1, e2, e3 and e4 plus start and end maps.
this way it wont be only a few maps played all the time. and also nobody can complain about not knowing the maps as we all have them!
2009-03-11, 19:40
1 post

Mar 2009
ukcldm2
androm9
dm2back
titan2

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.rosenshine/orly.jpg
2009-03-11, 19:50
100 posts

Feb 2006
no xxxback shit pls
2009-03-11, 19:53
386 posts

Apr 2006
If this is going to be a summer tourney, maybe you should hold a mapping competition for it?

Seems like a good way to generate interest in a new map, and maybe it would bump terrible, unbalanced maps like androm9 and pointless maps like dm2back off the shortlist.

My vote would go for midcit. It seems to be the only non-cmt map I've seen played recently that isn't a gigantic pile of wank.
2009-03-11, 20:26
11 posts

Nov 2006
No, Kenya sucks.
2009-03-11, 20:34
News Writer
69 posts

Sep 2006
ukpak2
q3dm6qw
cmt1b
schloss
e4m3tdm
2009-03-11, 21:44
1329 posts

Apr 2006
hfmogge wrote:
No, Kenya sucks.

No-one is really interested. If you don't plan on playing on it, then don't, but don't come spoil people's threads with your arrogant attitude.
Servers: Troopers
2009-03-11, 21:52
News Writer
169 posts

Dec 2007
If any mappers want to create a new map or modify old ones for this tournament we would be very happy with that.
Really there usually isn't much activity during summer so instead of having normal 4on4 leagues and duel tourneys that fail why not take some unusual stuff like a CMT and have fun? Even though it might not be big, not many people will play during summer anyway, its the best time for the QW community to test stuff.

To everyone that has voted and submitted maps, thanks a lot please continue
2009-03-11, 23:30
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Link for inspiration

Any more sites like that one?

Edit: Some other one. Don't really have time to check them now.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-03-12, 05:37
569 posts

Feb 2006
imo creating new maps is a waste of time. There is enough custom maps around.

anyways there is a difference between "tb5" and a custom map tournament. The "tb5" suggests that you want a map-pool that doesnt change to often. But still want to play more then only 3 same maps.

playing a set of five(?) hardly known maps is dull.
2009-03-12, 09:22
31 posts

Mar 2007
Hi. You may want to consider this map I did maybe a couple of years ago. Its not quite finished but perfectly playable. Some of you may even have tested it allready. If there is interest I can give it a final touch and do some changes if wanted. No big deal. Also found a picture that can be helpfull. I am most reachable at zemanji@yahoo.com

map: http://www.saunalahti.fi/zakaa/mona5.bsp
pic: http://www.saunalahti.fi/zakaa/mona5.jpg
2009-03-12, 09:41
386 posts

Apr 2006
Willgurht wrote:
anyways there is a difference between "tb5" and a custom map tournament. The "tb5" suggests that you want a map-pool that doesnt change to often. But still want to play more then only 3 same maps.

Yes, but maybe in this once-off custom tournament we'll find a map that's actually good and that people want to play? Not the old conservative players who wouldn't leave tb3 if it was discovered that they cause cancer, but the rest of us who like playing quakeworld as opposed to just liking the maps might find something we enjoy.
2009-03-12, 11:00
News Writer
169 posts

Dec 2007
Willgurht we want as good maps as possible, and if there is a community of mappers out there we want them to use their experience in creating maps so that we can get the five best possible maps. There could be several million maps out there but I would still ask mappers to make new ones if only 3 of those several million are good.

Zaka I haven't checked the map yet, but anything you create we are very interested in, I would be very happy if you would take the time to finish that map.
2009-03-12, 11:24
485 posts

Feb 2006
Please have no more than 3 maps in the tourney. That way a team can have a shot at learning all the maps atleast somewhat. With 5 or more it becomes a homemap/ffa type of thing.
2009-03-12, 11:44
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Willgurht wrote:
imo creating new maps is a waste of time. There is enough custom maps around.

I think the point of this custom map tournament would be to see if there are five viable maps that could compete for those last two (or perhaps one, if you ask me) spots among TB5.

Of course it would be easier to just throw out CMT4 already and replace it with CMT1, but i guess that won't happen for some reason.
2009-03-12, 11:48
2 posts

Dec 2008
We had a great Custom Map Tourney back in ... 02? 03?
Why look for new maps when we have 5 great maps in the CMT-pool?
2009-03-12, 12:58
569 posts

Feb 2006
well imo a map isnt good until everyone have played it alot.

Dm3 isn't the perfect mix-map because of it's design, but because of the map-knowledge everyone has on it.
If you were to rate game play quality of games played on a map i would say map-knowledge is about 80% and the actual map-design is 20%.

From another thread. This is how i wish leagues would be.
willgurht wrote:
But playing a set of 5 or 7 maps where one map is rotated (voted) in and out every season.
Perhaps with some rule that if voted in, the map will stay for atleast 2 seasons.

I dont mind if cmt3 or cmt4 is not among these. Even tho they are decent maps just given the chance.

The risk of tb3 would get voted out is not likely.
2009-03-12, 14:14
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
i would like to play e1m6
Chosen
2009-03-12, 15:29
3 posts

Feb 2009
In the past there was this league organized in Poland with custom maps created by most famous Polish mappers like Qurnel or Misyu. Their files names are plpakx ( where x is a number, plpak1, plpak2 etc ) and some of them are really marvelous. You can download them from Polish servers like aster or kubus.

EDIT
Ok, the most interesting ones are:
plpak7 - Know Where to Run
plpak8 - Age of Gibbage
plpak9 - Nocturna
I will put them later somewhere on www.
2009-03-12, 19:49
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
This is a great idea, if it's done with new maps - maybe some of the cmt's that havn't been played much. Imho it should be used to see if we can find 1-2 quality maps to use for 4on4 leagues in the future. And if we do, they should be updated to look beautiful
2009-03-13, 16:03
386 posts

Apr 2006
CMT1B is a pretty damned good map from what I've seen; I'll add in a vote for that.

[edit]I'd just like to add that maybe including cmt3 (Which was played a staggering total of 6 times during the last EQL) might give a great map some more exposure. CMT4 was played almost 5x as much, and I'd guess this is only because it's more widely known, despite having a couple of nasty gameplay flaws like the povdmm4 quadroom.[/edit]
2009-03-14, 11:12
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
CMT4 should never be used again, it plays like a FFA map, and it's butt ugly.
2009-03-14, 11:56
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
The whole plpak series seems to consist of high quality, good looking maps.
2009-03-14, 12:26
8 posts

Jan 2009
e2m2 was a classic teammap back in the nqr leagues beginning 2000's. i think there is a teamdm version of it somewhere.
2009-03-14, 12:34
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
zd wrote:
e2m2 was a classic teammap back in the nqr leagues beginning 2000's. i think there is a teamdm version of it somewhere.

DM6 was also a classic teammap back in 2000. There's a reason they didn't make it.
2009-03-14, 12:54
8 posts

Jan 2009
Ake Vader wrote:
zd wrote:

DM6 was also a classic teammap back in 2000. There's a reason they didn't make it.

lol sorry but dm6 was never a teammap unless idd around 2000 in dmm3. we played e2m2 almost every game in nqr 2002 or 2003. theres no comparison in any way between the two maps.
2009-03-14, 13:09
462 posts

Jan 2006
Willgurht wrote:
Dm3 isn't the perfect mix-map because of it's design, but because of the map-knowledge everyone has on it.

I somewhat disagree. DM3 is the perfect mix-map because of it's desing. In a mix where no teamplay exists it's important that you can turn games by yourself. With easily sneakable shaft, accessible quad and quiet areas to wait for quad. Or you can turn a game with pent, or ring too. Or if not turn a game at least there is something else to try and do than spawning. DM2 has none of that. It's easy to lock and impossible to unlock without team play. That's why it sucks for mix and is usually rape and mix killer. e1m2 just sucks period. It has nothing.
2009-03-14, 13:11
386 posts

Apr 2006
The problem with e2m2tdm is that it's too easy to clear out the entire map in about 15 seconds with quadshaft, it has some retarded spawn-points and the YA positioning is ridiculous.
2009-03-14, 13:37
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
zd wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:
zd wrote:

lol sorry but dm6 was never a teammap unless idd around 2000 in dmm3. we played e2m2 almost every game in nqr 2002 or 2003. theres no comparison in any way between the two maps.

DM6 was included in Smackdown Season 4 that took place in spring 2002: http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/SD_EU_Season_4
It was also included in Season 5 the same year. I'm not sure if e2m2 was included though as only the playoff games were available on the wiki and e2m2 didn't show up in any of the games.

Both are horrible maps for 4on4 though and there should be far better maps to choose from. In a custom map tournament i reckon the episode maps should be avoided too.
  45 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page