User panel stuff on forum
  4 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2009-02-08, 13:10
188 posts

May 2007
By Aquashark
QW community - never seizing to amaze

now if they could make a slim QW package with GPL recompiled maps that will install the game like QuakeLive, making it launchable/playable from browser via a plugin/wrapper.. that would be full of win!

would teach even id software a lesson

still.. props for raising the bar for so long! <3 <3 <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a comment posted on esreality, on the stats.quakeworld.nu thread. I have to admit that I really like the "start game via browser" feature in Quake live.

We have qtv which is almost like a serverbrowser and you can already click a link to open your game. nQuake is an almost complete Quake package and the new qwstats page could be used as matchmaking tool.

To be honest I know nothing about coding and what it would take to do it. Maybe the people of these projects dont even want to merge.

So my question is, would it possible to do combine those projects into a kind of QW live? And if yes do you guys think it is a good idea?
2009-02-08, 13:18
1329 posts

Apr 2006
I think ezQuake already supports qw:\\... links, but someone has to confirm this.
Servers: Troopers
2009-02-08, 15:50
1102 posts

Jan 2006
It does (http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Smooth_Quake_in_Linux#Launch_ezQuake_by_clicking_on_qw:.2F.2F_links_in_your_browser if you are on Linux or want to do it manually in Firefox).
And that makes it much nicer (I find it silly to launch IN a webbrowser).

Don't forget that the qwstats site is entirely without any authentication. Thus it cannot be used for anything else than looking at statistics. You would either need server-side authentication or have people enter their matches manually and others to confirm.

PS: The idea is nothing new, search around for the old discussion(s).
2009-02-08, 15:53
188 posts

May 2007
ahh ok then nvm, I will look around again. Must have overlooked the old thread
  4 posts on 1 page  1