User panel stuff on forum
  22 posts on 1 page  1
QuakeWorld Duel League
2008-08-29, 14:20
188 posts

May 2007
Hello everybody

Only 11 days till the sign ups closes and the divisions are up. http://qwdl.geeky.cc/Ranking.aspx The problem is that the seeding did not turn out as easy as we thought. So here is what we need you, the participants, to do. Play games against players who are seeded in your division and report here when you raped somebody or when you got annihilated.
It wont cost you much to play someone out of your division as you play qw anyway and it would help us and the whole tournament immensly.

Please focus on your own division (of course if you find something wrong in another one feel free to report) as it does not help much if we have 25 people screaming player x in div y is misplaced

QW experts are also welcome who know a lot of players and know from experience that a player is over/underestimated.

So to summerize: The more players report before the season starts, the more equal divisions we have and the more fun people will have in their individual divisions.

Thx for your help
2008-08-29, 15:00
173 posts

Jun 2008
Divs are broken atm. Will post when they are back.
2008-08-29, 16:39
173 posts

Jun 2008
Working again - sorry about the delay. We are doing all we can to get the divisions sorted before the season starts.
2008-08-29, 16:56
569 posts

Feb 2006
grump, great that you guys post divisions before it starts. So that anyone that wants, can come with sugestions and help.
2008-08-29, 17:03
231 posts

Jan 2006
nice
2008-08-29, 18:25
173 posts

Jun 2008
Willgurht: thats the idea - we want to try to get everybody in divs with similar skills.

Everyone: keep letting us know who is better/worse than you.
2008-08-29, 18:30
43 posts

Jun 2007
Nm you already stated that these aren't final or whatever.
2008-08-29, 19:30
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Heh, so far I've been placed in 3 different division today, am I supposed to play all the people from all those divisions?
2008-08-29, 19:44
173 posts

Jun 2008
lol, yes - and in 1 week

The divs will keep changing right up to season start (Sunday 14th Sept - early morning)
2008-08-29, 20:54
226 posts

Jun 2006
Why not hold a round robin opening tournament to figure out where everyone stands? :p
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2008-08-29, 21:32
36 posts

Jan 2006
so fucked up divs
samon and flamer and some randomers higher than witka, bent and me...
lift me up to div4 so i can get my ass raped plz..
god damn so weird divs.. maybe div1 is only good one.. rest look so foking joke... sry im drunk as fin can be..
and placing 1tsinen higher than medar is as big mistake as placing reppie to div5
after taking a longer look about divs im dying to my own laugh, ppl after div2 are so wrong placed...admins are showing really huge knowledge of qwcommunity, im not saying that it is to place ppl who play lower than div2 but those divs are so foking big mistake! player like medar is placed in div13, this guy gives hard times for example to diki, and u morons place him to second lowest div, come on! i dont mean to offend u admins, but come on!
ps. after this meanless whine, i would like to play much more higher div, ppl mostly whine that they are misplaced too high div but i want to whine me to higher div, tho i know that witka will rape me my ass in current div, so maybe u could lift him up also..

maybe the number of the divisions is the problem, kinda hard to classify qwers to div1-10000000....
oooOO
2008-08-29, 22:19
188 posts

May 2007
187 if you werent so drunk you maybe would have been able to actually READ that the divs are not final and that we are looking for feedback to get them sorted out, that we still have 10 days time to do that and that we presented the divs on purpose so early that we have time to get them right. Furthermore the rough seeding was done by a small program grump wrote which seeded some players wrong due to lack or even wrong information of the players signing up. Its not our fault that some players filled in in the "better players" field reppie, paradoks as well as players from the ignition tournament. So instead of insulting us just post what u think should be changed. This would be 1000 times more productive and let you appear less of an idiot.
2008-08-29, 22:40
173 posts

Jun 2008
187 same as nix wrote.

We don't claim to know the whole qwcommuntiy - I havn't even been playing for a year :p

The top divs are about right because those players did what we asked and told us who was better and worse. You on the other hand couldn't be bothered to add even one player. If you think you are better than "samon, flamer and some randomers" then you should have put that in the form. As you didn't how should we know where to place you?

fenris: We did think about that but by keeping the divs at 8 players, the season will only take 7 weeks ;-)
2008-08-30, 00:46
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
i wanna say well done on this tournament.

my advice is making the divisions like this:
1- elite
2- elite
3- very high
4- high
5- high
6- medium
7- medium
8- medium
9- low
10- low
11- low
12- low
13- rookie
14- rookie
15- rookie

in two words: same skill level plz
thats 4 words

anyway, u get my point. the div0 players are ez to identify, but div2-3 and div4-5 players are difficult to distinguish. my advice is to create 4 different levels of players. and based on those, make the divisions.
very smooth move to make the divisions clear before the league begins.

in a tournament like this, duel division like - long term, its crucial to get the division skill right. so I hope the admins take the time they need to "insure" the divisions are balanced to make sure we got activity!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-08-30, 06:58
173 posts

Jun 2008
After reading mushi's post, I thought I would share some logic with everyone.

Whilst we realise that it is difficult to choose between players in div 2-3 and 5-6 that doesn't change the maths.

If we assume that skill skill can be measured and goes from 0 to 100, with an even distribution and 90 players then if we have 30 players per div (or div3a/b/c or medium/medium/medium) then in the middle div the minimum skill will be 33, maximum skill will be 66. If there are 9 divs then middle div minimum skill will be 44 and the maximum skill will be 56.
This means that with 3 divs, the skill range is 33, with 9 divs the range is 11.

That bit of maths means that, (esp. long term) it is better to have small divs as players will be grouped in closer skill levels. If we have, for example, 4 rookie divs then we still need to decide who goes in which one. The chances are that a much stonger player would be grouped with a less skilled player (rape alert! ;-))

btw, I realise that irl is not as simple as that but unless someone comes up with a better model, that is what we have to work with.

Without a doubt, at least in season 1, some players will be in the wrong div - we can't do anything about that but having large skill groups will just make the problem worse.
2008-08-30, 09:00
173 posts

Jun 2008
One thing - we can of course just rename the divs - rookie1, rookie2 etc.
2008-08-30, 10:01
1435 posts

Jan 2006
That would of course make it a little more interesting and entertaining. And instead of rookie1 rookie2 - rookie gold / silver / bronze
And on main level: Champion / Pro / Intermediate / Rookie, on lower level Gold / Silver / Bronze => 4x3 = 12 divisions, add more names if necessary ofc.

"I'm in Rookie Gold div" sounds much better than "I'm in division 11"...
2008-08-30, 11:21
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
"So, you're in the div1 gold div huh? Must be some kickass players in there!"
- "No, they're all in the div0 diamond enhanced platina div"

Div1-99 ftw, adding bronze makeup only complicates things?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2008-08-30, 12:09
173 posts

Jun 2008
I thought 1-99 was clearer too - but saying "i'm div 11" does suck esp. when people will confuse it with 4on4 where div 11 would be uber-noob.

So I have changed it so we actually have a div 0: http://qwdl.geeky.cc/Ranking.aspx
2008-08-30, 14:44
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
I read again my last post and thats not what i meant. i hope i got it right this time

ugh.
i dislike the actual divisions.
Pro Platinum Division? Champion Bronze Division?

nop. i was thinking more of, and taking your names: Champion - Pro - Intermediate - Rookie
These 4 MAIN SKILL LEVELS. now divide these into how-many sub-levels you need, like
Champion 1
Champion 2
Pro 1
Pro 2
Pro 3
(...)

where the numbers are of no importance (players in Pro1 hopefully has the same skill as Pro3, etc)
hopefully in the end of the group games we will see matches deciding the 4 champions of each skill level! and, who knows, matches between the champions of each skill level to decide the ultimate champion!

.qw duel match QWDL Pro 3 now!
sounds better than
.qw duel match QWDL Pro Platinum Division now!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-08-30, 16:09
173 posts

Jun 2008
You are talking about playoffs - which we don't want because the next season has to wait for the playoffs and therefore the majority of players have to wait another x weeks before the next season.

I agree with the "Pro 3" idea thou (also gives more flexibility - we can have 5 pro divs and 3 rookie divs) so I have done that :-)

However, Pro 1 > Pro 2 > Pro 3 etc.
2008-09-01, 21:10
569 posts

Feb 2006
plz div0-99

anoying iwth the levels
  22 posts on 1 page  1