User panel stuff on forum
  26 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2008-06-13, 21:41
87 posts

Oct 2006
IMO quad is ruining some of the last surviving FFA servers, with no way to vote it off. There is hardly any recruitment and many old timers, like myself, avoid the servers alltogether.

What is your oppinion?

/PaRa
2008-06-14, 09:56
312 posts

Feb 2006
ffa without quad is like a .. something without an important asset which belongs to it
2008-06-14, 10:36
51 posts

Apr 2007
FFA without Quad is pure Fragging Fun without frustration because of some Quad Whores taking it the whole time... Quad is Fun sometimes ... i dont say i never took it... but playing a 10 min FFA with 5 mins of QuadRuns is just fucked...

my opinion about this topic is: just 1-3 quads per round (like its most likely with pent) and everything would be pretty... but well iam just a qw-b00n, does my opinion even count?
2008-06-14, 12:28
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Quad is so annoying. It's just the good players who benefit from it (and rape).
2008-06-14, 12:38
793 posts

Feb 2006
oRe wrote:
1-3 quads per round

that's an interesting idea. maybe make that 5 to 6 quads, making quad less frequent could work well for ffa.

apart from that i think saying quad is killing *anything* is a bit far fetched. especially as the "last few" fa servers seem really crowded most of the time.
of course a votequad feature would be nice but before that is implemented i'd rather see a votekick feature being worked on.
2008-06-14, 17:41
370 posts

May 2006
FFA without quad isn't worth it, yes there are maps without quad but they ain't as fun as other maps usually.
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2008-06-14, 18:50
251 posts

Jul 2007
FlePser wrote:
FFA without quad isn't worth it, [...]

Word.
2008-06-14, 19:10
303 posts

Jun 2007
Random Quad spawn time! But never less than actual one and more than 4x current time, cuz quad spawning every 3 seconds or after 15 minutes would sux. That way it would be matter of luck who gets it, players won't be able to time it. Maybe make it weaker a little? QW RL + Quad = UT Redeemer, right now.
2008-06-14, 19:21
258 posts

Feb 2006
FFA without Quad is very boring. Just think about dm6 where everyone is just trying to camp RA. More powerups = more fun.
2008-06-14, 19:45
51 posts

Apr 2007
pattah wrote:
FlePser wrote:
FFA without quad isn't worth it, [...]

Word.

why isnt it worse? in DMC (the game i usually play) we play FFA most of the time without quad... it's fun too... but i understand ur point somehow qw always had quad enabled in FFA (afaik), so its more traditionally and makes much sense to high-skilled players...

on one hand Quad is a part of the game, otherwise quaded players don't show full ffa potential, since they need to shoot less often to kill... and it bores me to death always being killed by quaded player and i could imagine that more people, but me, see it that way...

as i suggested before less quad-spawns per round (let's say 3-5 instead of every minute as it seems) might be i nice way to pleasure both sides ( i know you cannot please everyone but a compromise, is often better than nothing)

who cares, may mind my 2cents, those who don't, don't need to...

sincerly the qw-b00n oRe
2008-06-14, 20:02
1100 posts

Jan 2006
mli wrote:
More powerups = more fun.

Yeah, let's play runequake.

I like that random and slow respawn idea.
2008-06-14, 20:32
251 posts

Jul 2007
Spirit wrote:
mli wrote:
More powerups = more fun.

Yeah, let's play runequake.

Yeah, let's ridiculously exaggerate.
2008-06-14, 20:35
251 posts

Jul 2007
oRe wrote:
as i suggested before less quad-spawns per round (let's say 3-5 instead of every minute as it seems) might be i nice way to pleasure both sides ( i know you cannot please everyone but a compromise, is often better than nothing)

I personally could live with that, if it raises the fun for a larger base of players.
2008-06-14, 20:36
793 posts

Feb 2006
pattah wrote:
oRe wrote:

I personally could live with that, if it raises the fun for a larger base of players.

or just disable dropquad, similar effect.
2008-06-19, 21:10
9 posts

Feb 2008
how about when someone picks up the quad, it drops them down to 50 health with no armor.. and maybe starts ticking down 1 health for every second they have it.
2008-06-20, 06:22
88 posts

Oct 2006
dEus wrote:
or just disable dropquad, similar effect.

That really is the only problem in my mind. That used to be off on most servers anyway I thought, but not anymore. Off course, that may be the only reason these servers are still around...

And what's wrong with runequake
2008-06-20, 23:28
685 posts

Jul 2007
I think quad should stay, but the server should detect how many players there are and then turn it on/off accordingly, like on Elvis FFA.

I think Quad belongs in FFA... It's Invisibility that I think it a stupid powerup and Penta. I mean what's fun about an invisible and or invincible opponent... At least you can see a quad runner and hunt him down...

BTW: in all other quakes quad is every 2 min. Perhaps that would be nice for q1 too, but personally I think quad is fun, even though I don't have it much when good players join the server
2008-06-21, 00:16
123 posts

Mar 2006
Depends, I'd say FFA is more fun with it if people are evenly matched. If not QUAD usually gives a huge advantage to the guy who will already win. Just don't do what nobodies FFA does and deny QUAD to whoever has the lead, that has to be the most stupid way to manage QUAD in FFA.
2008-06-21, 00:52
485 posts

Feb 2006
Quake without quad is a dick with no balls.
2008-06-21, 14:15
251 posts

Jul 2007
megalodon wrote:
It's Invisibility that I think it a stupid powerup [in FFA] and Penta.

I'll second that.
2008-06-21, 18:05
805 posts

Mar 2006
FFA without quad is not FFA!!!
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2008-06-21, 19:26
569 posts

Feb 2006
I think what would be great in ffa was if it would adjust next map according to the amount of players on the server.
server admin would specify a range for every map. like dm4 0-8, dm6 0-10, dm3 6-12
If the next map in rotation doesnt fit the range, it would be skipped until a suitable map is found.
2008-06-21, 20:12
303 posts

Jun 2007
Hey, that's actually very nice idea! But 8 players on dm4 is way too much, with more than 4 it is one big spawnraping fest :/ This system, but with good settings for each map on server, could really help ffa.

And i totally agree what megalodon wrote - pent is actually more powerful than quad... it's on less number of maps than quad, but there are some maps that pent take away fun factor from them. Maybe make pent similiar to battlesuit from Q3 or power shield from Q2?

I think one of these: slow, random or rare quad would solve the problem. Don't remove quaddrop, quad is no fun when carrier dies 50ms after he picked it up. Another idea i have is to make quad respawn in random places of map - so it would be impossible to predict where it would respawn next time, and n00bs and pros would have the same chances to pick it up.
2008-06-22, 06:30
357 posts

Mar 2006
without quad on FFA you will be seeing more aimbot users...
people like FFA cause its like a non intrusive workout. if u make them work harder they will find ways to reduce the stress..
2008-08-08, 23:30
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Quad on FFA is great.

Basically by having powerups, it helps to promote players being more active and going after powerups, rather than just camping near spawn points, armours etc. A rampaging quadrunner can rack up more frags than someone playing CS in most cases so it helps to promote more aggressive play.

Dropquad is also essential in FFA because it gives you an incentive to fight a quadded player.

I know in finland/scandinavia it probably gets frowned on a bit cos of all the guys who grew up playing on edome large with powerups disabled, but really I find FFA can be rather mundane with no powerups. It gives you something exciting to aim for every minute (or less, on maps with multiple quads) and helps keep things fun.
2008-08-08, 23:37
370 posts

May 2006
I know a few maps who don't have powerups (spikev2 comes in mind quickest) and there it's just surviving and timing RA rather then trying to go for the quad and kill as many as possible (same goes for DM6 now I think of it). When you can time/run quad it gives so much more pleasure to do a map and it also is very very enjoyable to kill a quad and try to make the best of it while it still lasts.

For me personally a quad on a map is the best thing. More frags, more deaths, more gibs and it's quite hard to get most of the time because many people know when a quad is about to spawn. If I'd play DM2 without quad, it would probably just stick to RA/MH and spawnfrag rather then get quad and swipe ya/tele and do low-rl with it (as it comes in handy in the spare 4on4 I might play ).

Anyway, timing quad is pretty important in quake's 2v2 and 4v4 and practicing it a bit on FFA is what i like.
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
  26 posts on 1 page  1