User panel stuff on forum
  12 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2008-06-10, 09:28
101 posts

Oct 2007
hi

i've got service pack 3 now and my ezquake's graphics are freaking out big time, i've tried different fx drivers and its still the same
just wanting to know if anyone else with service pack 3 has had graphics problems to ? and if theres anything i can do to fix this problem,

i recently had that msn virus link on my pc, but i've formatted and now my qw is screwed, i even put on my backup quake from dvd and it was still fubar and i know its not the ati drivers or my quake, it was messed up on 3 different ati drivers, the only new thing after the format on my pc is service pack 3

all my other games work normally

if anyone can help, it would be kewl

cheers

pete aka tiddles
i feel like a bunny wabbit frozen in the head lights of life ...Soundcloud Page - Hardcore Jungle - https://soundcloud.com/peterbisseker
2008-06-10, 20:54
685 posts

Jul 2007
Can't u downgrade to sp2 ?? I sure as hell won't upgrade to sp3 unless I absolutely have to.
2008-06-10, 21:51
271 posts

Feb 2006
There are many comments that service pack 3 broke compatability with a number of programs.
There should be an option to downgrade somewhere if needed.

To be honest, I would be worried if any quake engine had any issues with sp3. The interactions with the system in a game like quake are fairly minor, being only commonly used standard-c file access, and generic windowing system calls (albeit with added opengl initialisation). Either way, breaking those interfaces with the operating system would be easily noticable.
Having said that, I see no other reason why it would start failing as you described.

You've tried starting it with no configs / commandline arguments, and with only pak0.pak I assume?
moo
2008-06-11, 00:47
1329 posts

Apr 2006
tiddles the mapper wrote:
hi

i've got service pack 3 now and my ezquake's graphics are freaking out big time, i've tried different fx drivers and its still the same

No problems what-so-ever with XP SP3. Someone I know had some strange problem on software just quit responding on a system that had XP SP2 installed and SP3 on top of that. The problem went away with reinstalling XP from an image that had SP3 integrated.

megalodon wrote:
Can't u downgrade to sp2 ?? I sure as hell won't upgrade to sp3 unless I absolutely have to.

How very short sighted from you. You must be one of those people who refused to update to SP2 from SP1 when it came, but were forced to when SP1 support ended.

Spike wrote:
There are many comments that service pack 3 broke compatability with a number of programs.
There should be an option to downgrade somewhere if needed.

To be honest, I would be worried if any quake engine had any issues with sp3. The interactions with the system in a game like quake are fairly minor, being only commonly used standard-c file access, and generic windowing system calls (albeit with added opengl initialisation). Either way, breaking those interfaces with the operating system would be easily noticable.
Having said that, I see no other reason why it would start failing as you described.

I've seen few cases myself (well, reports of such cases) but they all have been fixed somehow at some point. The problem described above is possible if SP3 contains some drivers for certain chipsets and for some reason updates them. SP3 has very old version of DX9C (the first release actually) so even that could do some strange shit. My suggestion is to update all your drivers AFTER installing DX9C-june2008.

My personal opinion (well, in case anyone even cares) about XP+SP3 is that this is the first time I've actually liked WindowsXP. Everything works perfect for the first time ever and the boot time is phenomenal (40 seconds from desktop (restart button) to desktop (can launch software)). This is a clean install from XP professional image that contains integrated SP3.
Servers: Troopers
2008-06-11, 12:29
347 posts

Feb 2006
Actually there's a good point in waiting a long time before installing somewhat major upgrades like this. Gives Microsoft time to fix all the small (or big) issues, which means less hassle for you. If your system works flawlessly now, why jeopardize it by being an early adapter of SP3? And it's not just me saying this. This is common practice in all mission-critical systems (yes I realize a desktop PC isn't mission-critical). Personally I waited until half a year after SP2 was released with upgrading from Windows 2000 to XP. That is something I haven't regretted, since it meant I had no issues with XP whatsoever. You said it yourself Renzo - now is the first time you are really happy with XP.
2008-06-11, 14:21
1329 posts

Apr 2006
raz0 wrote:
You said it yourself Renzo - now is the first time you are really happy with XP.

Yes, coming from W2K (after 6 or so years) just one day under 3 weeks ago, this is the first time I have had XP installed on my desktop computer for more than 2 days.

And my line was specific towards SP3. It doesn't contain such a huge changes like SP1 -> SP2 transition had. Most of the changes are basically nothing more than security issues and some bugs fixed. Also there have been some performance improvements but that's about it. Therefore going from SP2 to SP3 isn't as hazardous as going from (pre)SP1 to SP2.

But yeh, like I said already, I've seen some reports of something breaking up when installing SP3 on top of SP2 or SP1.
Servers: Troopers
2008-06-13, 06:31
101 posts

Oct 2007
im gonna leave sp3 on this pc, since all my other games work fine on this pc, am building another pc just for quake, if i used this current pc i'd have to constantly change monitors from a 32 inch lcd over to a 19 inch crt, only using crt for quake

one thing i forgot to mention about the graphics problem is, sometime when i run qw you cant even recognise what map your in, but other random times the screen has only like a few 100 little fx glitch/dots on the screen, and in dm3 if i go in and out of the water the glitches go completely ?

fucu thought it might be an opengl problem, but dunno

thanks for the feedback but i have enough room in my bed room for two pc desks, and for the qw pc its not going to have sp3 on it, knowing my shitty luck the new pc will have the same problem

cheers

pete aka tiddles
i feel like a bunny wabbit frozen in the head lights of life ...Soundcloud Page - Hardcore Jungle - https://soundcloud.com/peterbisseker
2008-06-13, 10:56
347 posts

Feb 2006
Screenshot?
2008-06-15, 15:14
101 posts

Oct 2007
screenshot.....

http://www.imagepile.net/index.php?page=view&id=d878a1039&name=ezquake164.jpg

most of the time its so bad you cant even see what map your in, if i jumped in and out of the water it would clear up, strange huh
2008-06-15, 17:39
705 posts

Feb 2006
try gl_ztrick 1/0
2008-06-16, 11:16
101 posts

Oct 2007
cheers man DDDDDD gl_ztrick was set to 1, i changed it to 0 and no more fx problems thanks

yo da man!!!!!!!!!!

cheers buddy

pete
2008-06-16, 22:26
705 posts

Feb 2006
np, with that screenshot it was easy to spot
  12 posts on 1 page  1