User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Help  ‹  ezq mac os x
  17 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2008-03-15, 20:44
36 posts

Jan 2006
Hey!

Is there any good quide for instaling qw for mac, im really mac noob and i dont know what i should do...

this comp is 1,5ghz powerpc g4, and os is 10.4.something...
oooOO
2008-03-15, 21:04
793 posts

Feb 2006
i don't know about any guide, but installation should be pretty straight-forward. tweaking your setting is another story obviously.. just make sure you get the ppc or universal binary version of any clients not intel version.. hmm, now that i think of it i'm not even sure ezquake is ub.fuhquake is, though.

edit: you can copy your windows quake folder if you have one and just replace the quake.exe with the mac app. that's what i do, at least.
edit2: or just go to nquake.com and download the mac version. instructions are in the readme. don't know why i didn't think of that in the first place..
2008-03-15, 22:27
46 posts

Feb 2008
go to www.nquake.com and download 1.8.
then search for 1.9alpha here on the forum and you won't have to program anything in Terminal or something.
2008-03-16, 17:10
36 posts

Jan 2006
i mannaged to install qw... how about changeing usb rate to 500 in mac os x? and what about configs, can i get my old cfgs from pc to mac?
oooOO
2009-04-27, 23:06
21 posts

Aug 2007
Im considering buying the new macbook, and i'm wondering if ezquake will perform as excellent as it has on my current xp laptop. Both machines have solid graphics card and processors. Biggest change will be operating system and graphics card. (from ati x1600 256mb to gerforce 9400 256mb).

Is there any reason why quake would change in a negative way on a mac? will the mouse lag? Will i still get 160hz on my external crt with displayport to vga adaptor? Will I be a able to use my current config-file or must I make a new one?
2009-04-27, 23:17
793 posts

Feb 2006
there *are* differences in perfomance/feeling of the game. i would be surprised if there are many good players using the mac version of ezquake.

the good news is that you can use a small or medium sized partition on your harddrive and install win xp on it. everything should work as on a standard windows laptop then.
2009-04-27, 23:22
55 posts

Jan 2009
The mac version of ezq is unplayable. The mouse feels like its 60hz and there is no way to get rid of acceleration. If you have intel based mac i suggest you simply install windows on it with bootcamp. I have late 2006 imac running windows + external crt for qw.
Funny thing is; installing windows on mac is easier than on any pc, since the bootcamp setup creates you a drivers disc with everything necessary on it. Just 2 boots and its ready to go
2009-04-27, 23:27
21 posts

Aug 2007
That was indeed plan B. Is the same solution possible with linux as secondary operation-system instead of xp?
2009-04-27, 23:30
55 posts

Jan 2009
I think its possible to install linux instead of windows, but its quite complicated and personally cant be arsed to give it a try. Theres how-tos on the internets tho..
2009-04-27, 23:58
21 posts

Aug 2007
Yes, the mac will be intel-based. It is the entry level new aluminium-block macbook.

I will be using pretty much the same setup as you, dmt, only with a laptop instead of imac connected to a crt. Do you use dvi to vga or displayport to vga? What mouse are you using, and do you rid yourself of acceleration by unchecking "enhance pointer precision"? Can mac handle 160ish screen refresh rates and 500 hz mouse rates?
2009-04-28, 00:15
55 posts

Jan 2009
I use the micro-dvi to vga adapter which i ordered from applestore. Use in_mouse 3 and you wont have any acceleration, unless the mouse has some on hardware level My imac has no problems with 1000hz usb and 154hz refresh rate which i set with powerstrip
2009-04-28, 00:41
21 posts

Aug 2007
Excellent! It seems there will be no change from my current setup.

If I understand correctly, the norwegian apple homepage tells me that every macbook is delivered with windows free of charge, and it is up to the user whether or not to activate it by using boot camp and leopard driver dvd. Was windows ready to be installed on your mac?

I have tried to set 154hz, yet only 160 hz works. Will a powerstrip download help me there?
2009-04-28, 09:11
55 posts

Jan 2009
No, I have older version of osx. I used bootcamp beta to partition HDD and start windows installer. If your monitor is able to do 160hz, then 154hz with powerstrip shouldnt be a problem. There will probably be no noticable difference tho
2009-08-10, 08:56
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Got some questions:

I got a MBP and I can't get the consolebutton to work (tilde), alt- and ctrl-buttons wont work for @ etc..

I've tried changing to US keyboard profile, but without success. What's the solution?

(currently just running nQuake + ezQuake 1.9.3).
2009-08-10, 17:27
344 posts

Nov 2006
Just a reminder for people thinking about using OSX: The quality of the client very much depends on your feedback and fine tuning of the client settings. Currently I seem to be the only maintainer for OSX. The code previously was done by oldman afaik (and maybe others?). I try to keep up fixing the most obvious bugs. As I'm not player anymore I haven't played a single match with the client but used it for MVD demo watching only. For me it does that quite well ;-)

Also there might be fixed a couple of things for the upcoming ezQuake 2.0 beta:

- Client should become a single .app instead of needing a folder. Pretty much cosmetic benefit only and some may dislike it..
- Toggleconsole key works at least on german key layout. I need feedback if it works for others.
- Clipboard pasting into the console might be working for you. Well you have to use CMD + C for copying in OSX and use CTRL + V paste it into ezQuake console.. well yeah it sucks but you dont have to write down the IP address anymore.. patches welcome.
- Case sensitive file system might actually find your retail .pak files.
- perhaps more but I can't remember

In the meantime you might want to play around with some settings:

- Multithreaded OpenGL is enabled by default. I have the feeling it does more harm than it benefits. Try disabling it (its a commandline option.. check the online manual).
- Not enabling vsync tears the screen massively.. Perhaps this is my machine only as the GPU is sucks0re galore. Turning it on with the options above it seems to be somewhat smooth as far as I can tell with my FPS.
- Not sure about the mouse settings.. experiment with it :-)

In general it should be possible to find some playable settings. It might not be enough for the Pros here though they tend to be very picky about settings :-) Just send me any patches if something is wrong! :->
2009-08-16, 15:45
1011 posts

Feb 2006
:-) i might revisit the client myself at some point

as Tuna says, it would be useful to have a TODO list though
2009-08-16, 18:49
344 posts

Nov 2006
Nice to see you around oldman!

Well the first thing that comes to my mind is to port the mac video code to tr_init.c. I didn't look it it in much detail but I think thats responsible for changing resolution in-game and any recent introduced video features.

All other critical things come down mouse input, video delay fine tuning things i guess. In general all is working ok-ish. But as I have no idea that makes the pro gamer distinguish my amateurish skills I have no idea at which points it sucks exactly :-)
  17 posts on 1 page  1