User panel stuff on forum
  120 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page
Server Talk
2007-10-16, 23:54
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
1-2 jumps in a row? No way. I just recorded a quick demo and you can rack up 10+ from multiple routes, e.g:

SSG->quadroom-door->lg->mega->nailgun
or
quadroom-door->sng->tunnel->gl->rl->ya->lg

OK so you could do those in less if moving well, or if you don't bother picking up lg on your way past etc. But in terms of opportunites to string jumps together it's not really much worse than other maps of a similar size/speed. You just have to time your jumps well and be more precise in your movements (e.g. the route from sng to gl, or from quadroom to YA-tele picking up both LG and YA on the way without stopping).
2007-10-17, 15:34
1011 posts

Feb 2006
Moon[Drunk wrote:
']
oldman wrote:
http://qwplayers.org/oldman/blood-thirst.bsp.gz

I get an error message in winrar: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged.

Couldn't find the map anywere else so help would be appreciated

sorry, winrar probably expects .tar.gz, but this is just gzipped bsp

http://www.gzip.org/ , then `gzip.exe -d blood-thirst.bsp`
2007-10-17, 22:43
22 posts

Feb 2006
I'm for including the best of the episode maps in the cycle since it allows for a little variation in play style. An endless repetition of mass quad-spam-frag-carnage that you find on ztn3/dm4/uv etc is all very good fun for a while, but without a break or change of pace it becomes boring. Just like anything else.

The next_map command is in there for a reason, majority preference rules. And from what I can see, it works quite well.

Anything can grow stale, thats why the server cycle should be updated quite regularly including new and perhaps old-but-good custom levels.

Perhaps the problem with a long cycle is that the most popular maps take too long to come round again. If thats the case why not just include two instances (or more) of say dm4/ztn3/whatever in each cycle ?
IIRC the original method of setting up a cycle using localinfo won't allow that, but I'd be surprised if FODFFA can't or couldn't be made to do that quite easily.
2007-10-21, 21:13
685 posts

Jul 2007
tiddles the mapper wrote:
hi, blood-thirst is actually finished, it also has colored lighting, as soon as i can, i'll post a url for the lit, on todays very fast pcs it runs fine, well it should,

Woohoo! Tiddles, the guy I've heard about so much
2007-10-22, 12:30
685 posts

Jul 2007
Just tried the map "blood-thirst".... I like it! But with lot's of players it's probably another chaotic frag-mess.
2007-12-09, 16:27
95 posts

Jun 2006
ok, I got kinda pissed about this:
Xs4all ffa is now loaded with a bunch of new maps, and most of them are just useless for ffa. Add the few retard players wasting their time standing on the same spot for 12 mins and it becomes a bit boring.

My suggestion would be to fill the "xs4all rookie ffa" server (which noone uses IMO) with these maps, and leave the other with the ones that's been proven to be worthy in ffa. Also I think the timelimit should be 15 mins instead of 12.
2007-12-10, 08:20
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Yeah, i was playing on it the other day, and damn there was alot of shitty maps, had to go spectate half of the time
2007-12-16, 12:05
370 posts

May 2006
Perhaps it's worth considering WHICH maps you are talking about, oh wait, that's not handy at all for me.
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2007-12-16, 14:32
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
FlePser wrote:
Perhaps it's worth considering WHICH maps you are talking about, oh wait, that's not handy at all for me.

Will make a list the next time i'm playing on it
2008-01-27, 15:38
685 posts

Jul 2007
Hey, perhaps it's time for an updated mappool here?

ultrav seems to be gone, and in the past we also had a2 in the pool...
2008-01-27, 22:49
370 posts

May 2006
I'll add those soon again, any more suggestions?
2008-02-25, 03:22
370 posts

May 2006
Mojo-Jojo sent something like this to me:

I checked out over 20 old maps I found on my hdd and I'd like a few to be added in the map cycle if that's possible.

Crocodile Tears: http://retroquake.planetquake.gamespy.com/blog/?p=70
This one is vast but you can move fast as it's easy to bunnyhop in this map. Most maps you see on qw are quite confined or hard to move around so I believe this map could bring faster gameplay.

The Temple of Tanktarta: http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=LOTW.Detail&id=75
This one is quite big aswell, but it's easy to bunnyhop around and I believe quad runs would be really fast on this one.

Nubian Chicken Sexer: http://peek.planetquake.gamespy.com/authors/gonzo.html#warfare3
This one might look weird and boring at first but I believe that fights around quad would be lots of fun as there's stuff that makes getting quad a bit difficult.

Also ukooldm4 would be great to have. That one shouldn't need an introduction. I love ukooldm4 but hate ukooldm2 which is now in the map cycle.

If you could add these to mapcycle or atleast some of them, I'd be really happy

So I've taken a look at the maps and added croctear and warfare3 to the mappool, and replaced e2m7 with base32b.
2008-05-12, 09:37
231 posts

Jan 2006
I still think there are way to many maps on the xs4all server. Every other map is like "next_map". I still say skip the eXmX maps, they sux for dm (for a reason) and keep the fun maps: Like, the dm-maps, skull, aero, ztn, four, a2, head-shot. But thats just my opinion.

And plz remove, crocodile... Buffymap is ok, but not great.

Fleps, cant you post a complete list of the maps on the server?
2008-05-12, 12:35
251 posts

Jul 2007
Statistics for /next_map would be nice and could help to adjust the map pool.

And well, I agree with jOn that the pool is too big in general but removing all episode maps completely seems a bit harsh. Some of them are FFA-compatible, like E3M1 (Termination Central). Likewise some DM maps do not seem to work. I feel that DM3 is one of them. Sometimes you can play a round which is fun - given the right players?! - but most of the time it's just a discharge frenzy and it's less fast-paced than e.g. DM2.

BTW: Elvis had/has that one map which was quite nice in FFA. It's called XL Genocide Crush (genocide.bsp) and I would love to see it on XS too.
2008-05-12, 12:59
231 posts

Jan 2006
pattah wrote:
Statistics for /next_map would be nice and could help to adjust the map pool.

And well, I agree with jOn that the pool is too big in general but removing all episode maps completely seems a bit harsh. Some of them are FFA-compatible, like E3M1 (Termination Central). Likewise some DM maps do not seem to work. I feel that DM3 is one of them. Sometimes you can play a round which is fun - given the right players?! - but most of the time it's just a discharge frenzy and it's less fast-paced than e.g. DM2.

BTW: Elvis had/has that one map which was quite nice in FFA. It's called XL Genocide Crush (genocide.bsp) and I would love to see it on XS too.

Yepp remove dm3, that map gets boring so quickly when ppl dis. all the time. I agree that Genocide is a totally ok map, could work in the map pool as well.

And statics for next_map plz!
2008-05-13, 10:06
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
i like dm3. just disable discharges and it's good to go.
2008-05-13, 10:25
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
...and a few other maps i like to play ffa on: ztndm3, ztndm5, ztndm6, q3dm6qw, shine, hook, bsdm6, dmz1++, genocide...
2008-05-13, 10:48
253 posts

Nov 2007
swiNg wrote:
i like dm3. just disable discharges and it's good to go.

I agree. I would disable too the discharge on the server. However this still won't solve the problems like the f*cking campers on dm6 in mega room for example :/
Ok, I know i have to live with this prob
cheat 2 win!
2008-05-13, 11:36
569 posts

Feb 2006
Jon Snow wrote:
... this still won't solve the problems like the f*cking campers on dm6 in mega room for example :/
Ok, I know i have to live with this prob

I cant see why it is a problem that someone camps dm6-mega in FFA. He will run out of ammo / health before even making 10 frags. If camping really is an issue (as in staying at one place and being able to topfrag) i would say dm2 RA/Mega is a better example.

Even tho i like dm3/cmt3/cmt4 i think they play out in the wrong way in FFA. The winning tactic is usually to sneak an RL/LG combo to the RA area and from there run the quad (much like 4on4). But it is very coincidental if you will make it to RA or not. But if you make, you will be rewarded with perhaps a 30+ frag streak vs newly spawned enemies.

Maps Like aerowalk / dm6 / dm4 / dm4 allows for a more balanced FFA, where several players can be on control of some area of the map at the same time. The areas will ofcourse generate different amount of frags, but it wont be as big difference as in above mentioned maps.

This applies ofc. only when people play to win. But it was a long time since we played for fun.

Winning is everything!!!!
2008-05-13, 11:39
1102 posts

Jan 2006
campers on dm6's mh always make me quit the game because it is so damn annoying and childish.
2008-05-13, 12:52
253 posts

Nov 2007
Willgurht wrote:
I cant see why it is a problem that someone camps dm6-mega in FFA. He will run out of ammo / health before even making 10 frags. I

Willghurt, my friend.... with how many divisions are u above me? he won't run out of ammo as the other guys will fetch the ammo for him. check back the legendary deathrow vs clan9 battle on E1M2

Willgurht wrote:
This applies ofc. only when people play to win. But it was a long time since we played for fun.

unfortunatelly. however i still don't care that i used to be in the second half of the scoreboard in FFA games, just running around as fast as i can and no camp cause it boring for me ( i think that's also the reason why i never be good team player) and that is why i love pkeg1. there i have chance
cheat 2 win!
2008-05-13, 13:24
231 posts

Jan 2006
Why do we talk about campers? Its a part of the game, change the map pool instead

Give us statics for next_map!
2008-05-13, 13:38
715 posts

May 2006
Exactly, don't blame the players for playing the map as it is designed, change the pool.
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2008-05-13, 15:50
370 posts

May 2006
I'll ask biggie to see if he can make something to provide me statistics of next_map stuff.

I've been wanting to remove DM3 a lot of times from the mappool but something always hold me back (just like e1m2). I think it's because it's a vital part in the 4on4 scene that I prefer to see those maps played, I've mentioned it a few times before, people who don't know the map very well can gain some experience on the map via FFA. Though this cannot be backed up by facts, I know that I've had my learning curve improved due to playing it on FFA.

Another thing you might have noticed, or not at all , is that I like big maps for FFA and really dislike small maps like PKEG1, I hate it when I die and on the bigger maps it's easier to stay alive (perhaps that's why I've always favoured episode maps as well) I shall see if I can remove / add a few more maps.

The big size of the mappool is just because there are all kinds of interests for the server, some people like the small fast paced maps, others like the oldschool feeling of e3m1, others don't mind at all and many prefer good looking well balanced custom maps. The amount of maps made for FFA is vast and to pick only a small amount is quite hard, difficult, annoying and I think it's a waste as well.

ATM there are two side servers up and running, the newbie friendly one and another one with a small mappool. But I have no clue in what way they are played, if they are heavily populated on certain times or are empty 24/7.

(continued)
2008-05-13, 15:56
370 posts

May 2006
Maplist quake.xs4all.nl:27500

dm2 dm1ex ztndm4 pkeg1 spinev2 fragtwn7 buffy clockwo rwild ukcldm2 ztndm3 ultrav e1m2 e1m5 dm6 e2m2 base32b death32c schloss debello a2 ukooldm2 d1_7 e4m3 aerowalk head-shot dm3 castle dmanse warfare3 qffldm2

Maplist rookie server quake.xs4all.nl:27501 - I hope those strange config setup of KTX still confuse me

dm2 dm4 dm6 enraged aerowalk ztndm3 ultrav efdm3 dm1ex a2 naked misdm10 exdm1 shine head-shot del1 four pdm18 bsdm6 qtdm3 skull ztndm5 ztndm6 buffy

Maplist 3rd server quake.xs4all.nl:27502

dm2 dm4 dm6 ultrav ztndm3 aerowalk
2008-05-13, 16:11
715 posts

May 2006
Have you concidered adding hook.bsp? Great FFA map.
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2008-05-13, 16:51
231 posts

Jan 2006
FlePser wrote:

dm2 dm1ex ztndm4 pkeg1 spinev2 fragtwn7 buffy clockwo rwild ukcldm2 ztndm3 ultrav e1m2 e1m5 dm6 e2m2 base32b death32c schloss debello a2 ukooldm2 d1_7 e4m3 aerowalk head-shot dm3 castle dmanse warfare3 qffldm2

Thats waaaaaaaay too many maps I would remove, dm1ex, spine, fragtown, clock, ukcldm2!!!, e1m2, e1m5, e2m2 ffs!, base32b. schloss, debeööp, ukooldm2, d1_7, e4m3, caste, dmanse, warefare and qffdm2...
2008-05-13, 17:05
186 posts

Jan 2008
dm1ex fragtwn7 clockwo ukcldm2 e1m5 dm6 e2m2 base32b warfare3 qffldm2 sucks bad imo
2008-05-14, 10:15
370 posts

May 2006
molgrum wrote:
Have you concidered adding hook.bsp? Great FFA map.

Never seen it, never heard of it
2008-05-14, 10:16
370 posts

May 2006
jOn wrote:
FlePser wrote:

Thats waaaaaaaay too many maps I would remove, dm1ex, spine, fragtown, clock, ukcldm2!!!, e1m2, e1m5, e2m2 ffs!, base32b. schloss, debeööp, ukooldm2, d1_7, e4m3, caste, dmanse, warefare and qffdm2...

Hehe, perhaps the third server would be best for you
  120 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page