User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Advanced Configuration
2007-04-23, 15:08
28 posts

Apr 2007
Most of you know how frequency makes the game run that much smoother. What some of you may not know is that, with a lower resolution, you can use higher frequency.

For example, at 1024x768 resolution, my monitor can perform 120 HZ. Now, when you play quake, most people use 800x600 or 640x480 like me. Now at these lower resolutions, most monitors can work harder, mine can reach 160 HZ.

You can figure out the limits of your minotor at any resolution right from your desktop. --> Right click desktop --> Properties --> Parameters --> Advanced --> Minotor --> Now make sure the check box is checked (mask modes that monitor cant display) and check out whats the highest frequency you can reach with your current desktop resolution. You can set your desktop resolution to 800x600 and see what frequency you could reach in Quake. If you want to know lower resolution/frequency ratios, and want to make it better and easier in general for monitor modes, I recommand this freeware:

RefreshForce 1.10 : http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?10000000036307

related notes from that site:

* UNIVERSALLY and PERMANENTLY fixes the Windows 2000/XP refresh rate problem!!!

* One-time execute and you're done. No background program running!

* Functions perfectly with the Plug & Play monitor drivers (so NO need for manufacturer
drivers!)

* Works with ANY combination of game and graphics card, whether the card is nVidia,
ATI, Matrox or any other, and whichever driver it is using!

* RefreshForce does not require installation of any kind, so no messy setup programs.

* Support for systems with multiple display adapters.

* Automatic backup facility for added safety.

* Sophisticated and UNIQUE display optimization technology.

* Ability to actually lower refresh rates as well as increase them, if software
causes display corruption.

-----

If you plan on using this software, you only set resolution/frequency ratios once, and it'll be working in any games.

Driver Note: make sure your monitor is not just detected as "Plug and Play monitor", if that is the case, google your monitor model and download your lastest matching monitor drivers, so you can use the highest frequencies that your monitor has to offer with the appropriate driver associated with it.

Hope this helps some of you :-)

Doum
2007-04-27, 11:22
98 posts

Feb 2006
* Functions perfectly with the Plug & Play monitor drivers (so NO need for manufacturer drivers!)

Driver Note: make sure your monitor is not just detected as "Plug and Play monitor",

lol :rolleyes:
2007-04-27, 14:20
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Or download pc wizard that will tell you the best hz the monitor can perform and in what -bpp and resolution.. ?
2007-04-28, 06:38
28 posts

Apr 2007
spliffy wrote:
* Functions perfectly with the Plug & Play monitor drivers (so NO need for manufacturer drivers!)

Driver Note: make sure your monitor is not just detected as "Plug and Play monitor",

lol :rolleyes:

Spliffy: Using the software = DONT NEED
Not using the software = NEED

General rule to follow is NEED DRIVERS, don't misinterpret my recommandation cause of the software's FEATURES telling you it's ok not to have drivers, which anyway works if you have them.

So once again, install the drivers, even tho the software says (if you use it), that drivers arent needed FOR THIS ONE SOFTWARE to change your frequency.

I hope it's clear for you now.
2007-04-28, 06:44
28 posts

Apr 2007
Peppe wrote:
Or download pc wizard that will tell you the best hz the monitor can perform and in what -bpp and resolution.. ?

So pc wizard helps with-bpp? Links/info/how -bpp helps would be appreciated, put some more thoughts in it or what ever since its kinda the purpose of this thread..?
2007-05-18, 16:02
122 posts

Jan 2007
I use the RefreshForce for a long time. Great thing!
--
"Dag eats little Reloads for breakfast." (c) :-)
  6 posts on 1 page  1