User panel stuff on forum
  31 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Maps & Textures
2007-04-19, 02:38
182 posts

Mar 2006
Alright, based on the much appreciated input and feedback from everyone ....

Version 2.0:

Download: Attempt #1 11 MB

http://www.quakeone.com/q1files/img/forumsimages/gplmaps/start.jpg

http://www.quakeone.com/q1files/img/forumsimages/gplmaps/dm3.jpg

http://www.quakeone.com/q1files/img/forumsimages/gplmaps/dm6.jpg

http://www.quakeone.com/q1files/img/forumsimages/gplmaps/e1m7.jpg

http://www.quakeone.com/q1files/img/forumsimages/gplmaps/dm4.jpg

I did all the ID maps this time using simple textures and gave about 75% of the maps a quick run thru and everything seems fine.

I used water, lava, slime and teleporter textures from the QRP or similar sources since those don't resemble the ID software ones at all.

These maps were compiled as-is -- no changes to the source -- using txqbsp, vis and light by aguirRe. I did notice the lighting does look a little different.

Add a texture pack and the above ends up looking something like this, as these maps did not change any of the texture names.

http://www.quakeone.com/q1files/img/forumsimages/gplmaps/e3m3.jpg
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
2007-04-19, 10:23
1026 posts

Feb 2006
dm5 is fullbright. other than that.. awesome
checked only (dm1-6 + e1mX + start + end)
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-19, 10:34
182 posts

Mar 2006
Aquashark wrote:
dm5 is fullbright. other than that.. awesome

I thought DM5 looked wrong. I wonder how that happened.

Quote:
txqbsp dm1
txqbsp dm2
txqbsp dm3
txqbsp dm4
txqbsp dm5
txqbsp dm6
txqbsp e1m1
txqbsp e1m2
txqbsp e1m3
txqbsp e1m4
txqbsp e1m5
txqbsp e1m6
txqbsp e1m7
txqbsp e1m8
txqbsp e2m1
txqbsp e2m2
txqbsp e2m3
txqbsp e2m4
txqbsp e2m5
txqbsp e2m6
txqbsp e2m7
txqbsp e3m1
txqbsp e3m2
txqbsp e3m3
txqbsp e3m4
txqbsp e3m5
txqbsp e3m6
txqbsp e3m7
txqbsp e4m1
txqbsp e4m2
txqbsp e4m3
txqbsp e4m4
txqbsp e4m5
txqbsp e4m6
txqbsp e4m7
txqbsp e4m8
txqbsp end
txqbsp start
light dm1
light dm2
light dm3
light dm4
light dm5 <----------- it's in there!
light dm6
light e1m1
light e1m2
light e1m3
light e1m4
light e1m5
light e1m6
light e1m7
light e1m8
light e2m1
light e2m2
light e2m3
light e2m4
light e2m5
light e2m6
light e2m7
light e3m1
light e3m2
light e3m3
light e3m4
light e3m5
light e3m6
light e3m7
light e4m1
light e4m2
light e4m3
light e4m4
light e4m5
light e4m6
light e4m7
light e4m8
light end
light start
vis dm1
vis dm2
vis dm3
vis dm4
vis dm5
vis dm6
vis e1m1
vis e1m2
vis e1m3
vis e1m4
vis e1m5
vis e1m6
vis e1m7
vis e1m8
vis e2m1
vis e2m2
vis e2m3
vis e2m4
vis e2m5
vis e2m6
vis e2m7
vis e3m1
vis e3m2
vis e3m3
vis e3m4
vis e3m5
vis e3m6
vis e3m7
vis e4m1
vis e4m2
vis e4m3
vis e4m4
vis e4m5
vis e4m6
vis e4m7
vis e4m8
vis end
vis start
--------
2007-04-19, 10:42
1026 posts

Feb 2006
e1m4 crashes in EZQuake 1.8 Beta with error: cache_tryalloc: 2752560 is greater then free hunk. EZ bug i guess already reported.

by the way, what's the extra exit on end map?
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3971/ezquake002smallza5.jpg

also why making e1mX maps gpl compliant since they're the shareware episode?
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-19, 12:45
182 posts

Mar 2006
Aquashark wrote:
e1m4 crashes in EZQuake 1.8 Beta with error: cache_tryalloc: 2752560 is greater then free hunk. EZ bug i guess already reported.

Let me know if that is an engine beta bug or something about the map that should be corrected.

Quote:
by the way, what's the extra exit on end map?
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3971/ezquake002smallza5.jpg

Looks like you found an inconsistency between the released .bsps and the GPL'd sources. No clue. I guess I should edit the map and remove that area and cross my fingers that is the only difference between the GPL sources and the actual END.bsp.

Quote:
also why making e1mX maps gpl compliant since they're the shareware episode?

The community that has it easy -- as far as I can tell -- are some of the Doom clone communities. If I recall correctly, one or two of them you can either use Doom with it or some Doom-like clone thing they made. I think it gives them additional freedoms, but I can't remember what they were, but in that situation you have no license agreements at all that you have to think about when you are doing things. They don't even use the word "Doom" in the name, so they aren't using a trademark.

I really believe that in the future that this type of freedom is needed. It can't happen in single player, of course.
--------
2007-04-19, 13:25
1026 posts

Feb 2006
Baker5 wrote:
Let me know if that is an engine beta bug or something about the map that should be corrected.

yeah, should've been more clear.
it's a known EZQuake 1.8 Beta bug already reported.
it happens on larger maps loaded in a big mod like Frogbot Clan Arena w/ Trinca's 377 waypoints (qwprogs.dat is > 4MB).

on a normal/standard server works ok.
with -mem 20 (or bigger) the map works in any mod.
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-20, 09:07
1011 posts

Feb 2006
Baker5 wrote:
I did notice the lighting does look a little different.

see Tonik's post here

maybe he can post his patch to the hmap2 sources that enables the old sky behaviour

i'm not sure if he has been working anymore on the id source maps release since his earlier posts
2007-04-20, 09:28
182 posts

Mar 2006
I have not been able to get "light" to do it's thing on DM5. Strange It says 90 lights and the output looks like it is working.

Haven't taken a look at the end.bsp in a map editor, but that's on my list.

Quote:
maybe he can post his patch to the hmap2 sources that enables the old sky behaviour

The solid sky thing, right? I think I should be able to do that if that is what you are referring to.

And .. for no one in particular but for anyone interested in this, here is my textures.wad file I used with compiling the maps, so if anyone else with ideas they want to play around with, this will make life easy:

Simple Texture Set I Made: Simple Textures Version 1

Q1 Maps Sources: Download

Map Compile Tools (txqbsp, light, vis): http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/ (not the originals, they are improved but might produce a little different results)
--------
2007-04-20, 15:57
182 posts

Mar 2006
The DM5 and END map issues haven't been fixed yet and I noticed on a couple of maps, like Hell's Atrium, some all black textures in some large areas making it hard to see there, so I have some more things to do on the map side.

What you may -- or may not, who knows -- find interesting is that I have made both a pak0.pak and pak1.pak that have absolutely no ID software content, and therefore would not be bound by any license agreements. I'm sure the single player blows but the multiplayer would work perfectly.

I took OpenQuartz and substituted the terrible weapon models with Plague's Pack and then removed some of the more terrible sounds and substituted them with sounds from a "free sounds web site" (I forgot where from, oh well -- heh) and then added some player sounds that I received permission from the about a year ago and threw in Dox's axe. I substituted null.wav's and renamed them for any missing sounds. The end result isn't too bad either, but it feels more like playing Quake 3 than Quake because 1) the HUD is absolutely fantastic and 2) the sounds seem to make 1/2 of Quake 3) the Open Quartz player model is kind of neat.

The file structure is identical. The pak0.pak file structure is identical to the shareware pak0.pak and the pak1.pak contains the pak1.pak stuff.

http://www.quake-1.com/files/modfiles/free-pak0-pak1.zip

At first you may say, "Who cares, the shareware is basically free" and "who cares as long as the registered maps are available" -- and you might be right. But on the other hand, if these are distributed with, say, a client and there is no ID content/ID derived content, then there is also no license agreement. May not sound like much, but in such a case no one can come at you with a "rulebook" and then tell you "can't do X, Y or Z", especially if you use no trademarks like calling it Quake.
--------
2007-04-21, 02:25
705 posts

Feb 2006
Wow. This is the kind of work thats part of the quakeworld revival-wagon. Good for new players that can just get fquake and dont have to worry on where to get the "warez" pakfiles. They can just go to the servers right away.
2007-04-22, 15:15
182 posts

Mar 2006
Version 2: Simple Texture Maps Version 2

Lighting now resembles original Quake by using "-oldlight -light 0" parameters with light.exe, resolves a problem with DM5. Haven't bothered to remove the variation off the END map yet.
--------
2007-04-22, 15:27
1026 posts

Feb 2006
link not working

and i think you shouldn't bother to remove that variation since it appears only in deathmatch and it doesn't really affect gameplay that much
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-22, 17:45
182 posts

Mar 2006
Aquashark wrote:
link not working

Man, do I suck at getting the link right or what, haha

Attempt #2 of linking to Version #2: Version 2 Maps

Quote:
and i think you shouldn't bother to remove that variation since it appears only in deathmatch and it doesn't really affect gameplay that much

There are some (weird) people whose favorite map is the END map, mostly because they like battling for the little island that the rocket launcher is on

So I might as well do it right
--------
2007-04-22, 19:21
1026 posts

Feb 2006
do you plan to make the skies solid as version 3?
that is the last thing remaining to be done..
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-23, 00:11
182 posts

Mar 2006
If I can. I was told by aguirRe that I would need a VERY old compiler to do that, it may be difficult or impossible to find one that old. If Tonik has his patch available somewhere, that would make things easier.
--------
2007-04-23, 00:26
182 posts

Mar 2006
END.MAP problem solved. Made the func_wall appear in deathmatch as well instead of disappearing in deathmatch.

Download: END.BSP plus source (since I changed it) and the simple.wad I used with all the Version 2 maps (button textures modified to be easier to tell they were buttons and such).
--------
2007-04-23, 03:48
182 posts

Mar 2006
Megazoid said some thing interesting to me and for my own personal uses, I plan on stripping all single player entities and any other elements unnecessary for online play out of any future revisions to these maps. I will also be making the texture names incompatible with existing texture packs.

This may or may not fit in with the thinking here, so what I have done (the files linked in this thread) will remain available here for others uses to do as what they see fit.

Basically, Megazoid's thinking is that the value of purchasing the game itself should not be devalued by allowing someone to download a couple of other things like texture packs and effectively get the Quake experience. Since my own personal interest is just allowing someone to experience the online play in some semblance and the single player entities are not needed for that, nor are the weapon spawn point locations or other things that the client does not need.

I know this old school type of thinking for an old game so, again, this may not fit with others ideas of thinking are so I will leave all of the above files available. Most of the hard work is done above anyway
--------
2007-04-23, 08:53
1026 posts

Feb 2006
Quote:
Basically, Megazoid's thinking is that the value of purchasing the game itself should not be devalued by allowing someone to download a couple of other things like texture packs and effectively get the Quake experience. Since my own personal interest is just allowing someone to experience the online play in some semblance and the single player entities are not needed for that, nor are the weapon spawn point locations or other things that the client does not need.

then what's the point in the map sources being released at all for us to use?
how many people do you think will buy it anyway to make your decision worthwhile? do you really think id software cares about Quake1 sales after 10+ years and after they released the engine & map sources? i mean you could only get the game by downloading it.. it's not like they have unsold retail copies in stores to feel bad about..

and what's the difference between downloading Quake from id's website rather than downloading a GPL'd version that works for singleplayer too? people could easily bypass buying Quake from id's website in the first place by downloading it from another illegal location (it's even easier). a GPL'd version would offer them a free legal alternative, rather than a crippled one to make them think about illegally downloading the full version. again: what's the point in the map sources being released at all for us to use?

take a look at Quake2: you can play the multiplayer for free since years ago only by downloading the demo + the latest patch. id willingly allowed people to play Q2 online for free and now they gave us the opportunity to make Quake free as well including most of its relevant content. why should we refuse this opportunity id + romero gave us?
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-23, 10:24
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Baker5 wrote:
I plan on stripping all single player entities and any other elements unnecessary for online play out of any future revisions to these maps. I will also be making the texture names incompatible with existing texture packs.

Why on earth?!
2007-04-23, 15:29
805 posts

Mar 2006
You've made a wonderful work but in the end it'll be useless!

https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2007-04-23, 19:29
182 posts

Mar 2006
Au contraire!

This is difficult to explain, so I'll just link to the news article a made on this:

http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25949
--------
2007-04-23, 19:33
182 posts

Mar 2006
Aquashark wrote:
and what's the difference between downloading Quake from id's website rather than downloading a GPL'd version that works for singleplayer too? people could easily bypass buying Quake from id's website in the first place by downloading it from another illegal location (it's even easier). a GPL'd version would offer them a free legal alternative, rather than a crippled one to make them think about illegally downloading the full version. again: what's the point in the map sources being released at all for us to use?

There is plenty of time to think about the answers to those questions. I'm not sure myself at the moment, I will have think about it some more.
--------
2007-04-23, 20:06
1026 posts

Feb 2006
"I will also be making the texture names incompatible with existing texture packs."

by the way: lol! since when texture names are copyrighted? this also cripples the maps, so the user can't use the QRP project with them.. :/

well.. thanks for your work. hope someone picks it up and fixes the skies (making them solid)
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-23, 20:28
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Let's forbid qwcl client connect to mvdsv, let's forbid ezQuake connect to qwsv and then everyone is happy?
Seriously, I understand why he doesn't want someone create free alternative to what they sell, I morally accept that. But they sell 10 years old game, we "sell" many years of work that followed + we don't want money for it.
But sure it's a good topic to think about deeply, which I'm going to do because this was just a silly comparision I did in this post
2007-04-23, 23:32
271 posts

Feb 2006
"I will also be making the texture names incompatible with existing texture packs."

I'm assuming this is because you are not going to use the commercial bsps/wads to find texture sizes (due to gpl compatibility reasons), thus any replacement textures would be scaled horribly anyway.
Or because you're mean? :/
moo
2007-04-24, 02:37
182 posts

Mar 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Let's forbid qwcl client connect to mvdsv, let's forbid ezQuake connect to qwsv and then everyone is happy?
Seriously, I understand why he doesn't want someone create free alternative to what they sell, I morally accept that. But they sell 10 years old game, we "sell" many years of work that followed + we don't want money for it.
But sure it's a good topic to think about deeply, which I'm going to do because this was just a silly comparision I did in this post

Ok guys .... bare with me a minute and I will try to explain!

Before I start, those that think I've lost my mind consider this: In a worst case scenario, I personally plan what you believe is a ridiculous approach but promise to keep the maps stuck to a certain final version # and those checksums can be added to MSDSV etc. just like an approach you approve of, right? So no one loses, even in this case. There are 2 sets of new GPL maps out there (your final version and my final version) but both are accepted on Quakeworld servers running the latest server versions and everyone wins.

So first, do not get scared if you think I've lost my mind.

Here we go ...

JohnNy_cz wrote:
Seriously, I understand why he doesn't want someone create free alternative to what they sell, I morally accept that.

I have learned to accept this too. Quake is not ever going to be a free game the way we want it to be. But with the ID map release, id Software has provided us a way to carry over.

JohnNy_cz wrote:
But they sell 10 years old game, we "sell" many years of work that followed + we don't want money for it.

YES! Everyone in the community has put 10 years of work into this game, whereas id Software is selling a game that is 10 years old. We all have more at stake in the game really than id Software does.

There are guys everywhere that have worked on engines, servers, textures, QuakeTV, models, mods, maps, bots and you name it. Challenge-TV, competition sites, map review sites, map development sites, map development tools, documentation, installers (fQuake), web sites (here, there, everywhere).

Probably MILLIONS of hours have been invested by the community to make this game a better place.

We all have a lot of stake.

Quote:
But sure it's a good topic to think about deeply

Let's start with this: 1996 Quake won't attract new players. But everyone here already knows that, right? No one here plays like this anyway.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/af/Quake_1_screenshot_320x200_e1m3.png/200px-Quake_1_screenshot_320x200_e1m3.png

This looks much better:

http://lemike.braced.net/quake/qw2.jpg

The community has already changed the game greatly, what id Software is willing to do is permit the community the ability to make a total conversion, do it openly and without hiding and it can be free.

If people are making new player models and new weapon models, new textures and otherwise on the path to complete replacement of the media ... where is the difference at the end of this road?

id Software by GPLing the maps and the engine has given us all a chance to be truly free (except single player) provided it doesn't look or sound like Quake and is a total conversion.

A legal total conversion could put a fresh year 2010 look on the game with year 2010 sounds etc, and no one would have to hide or worry about whether or not if someone looked too close at the license agreement would find fault with things.

I've typed a lot here and I have more to explain, but this is a good start. I'll post more tomorrow and explain.
--------
2007-04-24, 10:17
1026 posts

Feb 2006
anyway.. i'm working on recompiled maps using Baker5's simple.wad
i found some old tools that compile the maps pretty good with faithful lighting and fixing the sky too (making it solid)
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-24, 11:45
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Baker5 wrote:
Au contraire!

This is difficult to explain, so I'll just link to the news article a made on this:

http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25949

the conversation when like this:

Todd Hollenshead wrote:
Dear Mr. Hollenshead (2:25 PM),

I have assembled a total conversion using no ID Software content (media, textures, music) that utilizes the Quake engine (GPL), the ID map source codes for Quake which were released under the GPL, simple GPL textures created from scratch, and models and sounds primarily from OpenQuartz (a GPL project), plus some freely available sounds and some models made from scratch by the Quake community.

This total conversion package contains no ID content or media, no references to ID trademarks or and doesn't resemble Quake in look or feel.

Being based on the GPL'd Quake engine and GPL'd map sources, compiled mostly as-is, is capable of connecting to Quake servers.

Is this permissible to do as it is a total conversion using no ID software content?

Quote:
Todd Hollenshead to me (2:48 PM)

As long as the only "id content" used is what was released under the GPL, then you should be fine.

tsh

Quote:
Mr. Hollenshead, (2:49 PM)

Thank you very much, sir. That is what we are doing.

Baker

----baker writes:---------
Todd Hollenshead is the guy at id Software that essentially gives the thumbs up or thumbs down to ideas and interpretation of license agreements. Since we want to do things openly and honestly, I felt it was very important to find out if the "synthetic Quake" idea was ok to do, since some expressed some doubt about whether this was ok or not.

I decided to contact Mr. Hollenshead to find out.

This means we can assemble and offer a "synthetic Quake" for download to play online. There are some things will have to figure out and more work will need to be done, but the importance of getting the "all clear" from id Software cannot be underestimated.
--------------------------------

all are taken from: http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25949
2007-04-24, 13:12
182 posts

Mar 2006
If you want to read even more interesting materials on the topic:

"Shareware Debate: Part Final" @ Inside3D.com - A discussion and the ultimate answer on this topic.

Pak0.pak and Pak1.pak using OpenQuartz, id Map Sources @ Inside3D.com - A very recent debate having very much to do with some of the things I posted in this thread.
--------
2007-04-24, 13:36
1026 posts

Feb 2006
don't want to hijack Baker5's thread. thanks for your work man!
i recompiled the maps myself using his simple.wad and fixed skies (made them solid) & lighting

the thread is here:
http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1731
god damn hippies >_<
  31 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page